Common Areas vs. Stateroom tonnage

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
BigDogsRunning
Stoat

Common Areas vs. Stateroom tonnage

Postby BigDogsRunning » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:51 am

What ratio of additional common areas to staterooms comprises what level of roominess?

Are the common areas no longer included in the stateroom tonnage? What if you go with the more luxurious staterooms?

Civilian designs vs Military designs

Any thoughts?
Linwood
Mongoose

Re: Common Areas vs. Stateroom tonnage

Postby Linwood » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:05 am

If I remember correctly common area space is added separately in the High Guard rules. Don’t have the rules in front of me but I think there was a recommended minimum allowance. How much depends on the ship’s purpose or mission. Luxury liners should have lots of common area, tramp freighters not so much. Military vessels should have some common area allowance but on larger vessels there will be briefing rooms, training facilities and the like that can serve a similar purpose at times.

I think the Great Rift boxed set will have rules for crew morale where the amount of common area is a factor. The more time you spend cooped up on a ship the more important those areas become.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:13 am

You can customize it yourself.

If the issue is life support, it's more the operating cost per person, rather than the physical space.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:40 pm

The amount of common area from the stateroom tonnage hasn't changed, but there is now a separate common area to add additional space.
JMISBEST
Banded Mongoose

Postby JMISBEST » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:42 pm

All good ideas

But if you're The GM and you want something different either reduce The Common Area to increase Cargo Space or the other way round and if you want something specific make it up.

For example A GM friend of mine custom designed A 1,900 ton Ship her Group was loaned, along with its crew, for A Mission, all to increase their chances of succeeding or at least surviving, and decided that The 60 tons of Common Area's where 2 10 ton Bar-Area's, 2 8 ton Gyms, 2 2 ton Ice cream parlours, 1 8 ton gym theatre, 1 6 ton upper-middleclass Resturant and 1 6 ton upper-middle class Swimming pool
BigDogsRunning
Stoat

Postby BigDogsRunning » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:13 am

Linwood wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:05 am
If I remember correctly common area space is added separately in the High Guard rules. Don’t have the rules in front of me but I think there was a recommended minimum allowance. How much depends on the ship’s purpose or mission. Luxury liners should have lots of common area, tramp freighters not so much. Military vessels should have some common area allowance but on larger vessels there will be briefing rooms, training facilities and the like that can serve a similar purpose at times.

I think the Great Rift boxed set will have rules for crew morale where the amount of common area is a factor. The more time you spend cooped up on a ship the more important those areas become.
I went back and did a search of the PDF version of high guard, and found a recommendation in the text. Through several readings, I managed to miss that until just now. Thanks for the referral. I pulled my head out and found it.
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:35 pm

If you want a really exhaustive treatment of common areas and the Mongoose books haven't covered something yet, take a look at the GURPS Traveller books Starships and Space Stations. Their rules for power plants, drives, and weapons are different and not entirely compatible with Mongoose, but the facilities rules are fine.

Far Future Enterprises has reprint rights.