Pirates of Drinax patron quests.

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Bulletsponge
Shrew

Pirates of Drinax patron quests.

Postby Bulletsponge » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:31 pm

I am new to traveller and doing the Pirates of Drinax campaign. Next session we will be closing the first adventure and I noticed the patron seed for Clarke involves Prince Harrick (spelling?, I am away from my books.) I was thinking the players return to Clarke would be a good time to use this.
I was curious if anyone used this seed and how they, or their players, went about it? It seems like it could be a simple mission, but I doubt the prince would want to do it. It would be a matter of convincing him or his father/sister of the benefits.
Also, what other patron missions have you used in this campaign (excluding the six fully written ones) and what fun things did you do?
Thanks in advance!
ochd
Mongoose

Re: Pirates of Drinax patron quests.

Postby ochd » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:52 pm

***SPOILER ALERT***

Ah, I am at the same point as you in the Drinax campaign, and looked at the Clarke encounter as a possible next adventure, but decided to steer clear of it for now and go for the Torpol one instead. It seems to have taken the players interest, so now I have to generate something for Thalassa and its famed prognosticators.

None of which answers your question, sorry, but I'll be interested to hear what you end up doing, and any other responses you get. :)

By the way, how did your first adventure pan out? My players ended up getting Ferrick to give up his secret, which I then expected them to follow up on, but haven't taken that particular bait for now.

Thanks,

Dan.
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:16 pm

My players decided to completely skip the trip to Clarke and headed straight for Torpal. They assumed (incorrectly) that it was a trap.
Outtasight!
Bulletsponge
Shrew

Postby Bulletsponge » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:18 pm

Remarkably, they convinced Miria to betray Redthane and join their cause with the help of the psionic making her afraid and the negotiator rolling double sixes with a +3 DM. They have yet to go after him though. That was where we ended the session until Tuesday. I'm interested in seeing how they go about it.
I had an idea for the Palindrome seed. I made up a little backstory about how Lady Yemar once had a lover that captained a salvaged Harrier. Seeing a Harrier on Theev while she was there for her treatments, made her sentimental. The lover is long since dead, but the remains of the vessel is in a hanger on Palindrome. She offers the party a chance to salvage parts from it (plus cash) in trade for kidnapping the weapons maker. She has recieved information that he is on Marduk with an undersea research team. I planned to use the Marooned on Marduk quest once they get there, because it is awesome.
I've yet to finish how they complete, but I am thinking the target is in some underwater base researching a deadly species for a new weapon. They need a sub and use the Gods of Marduk quest contact and his funding if the party assists him in his venture... and that's as far as I got.
I have a player that is out right now and I wanted to keep the other players busy as we all learn the game together.
ochd
Mongoose

Postby ochd » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:36 pm

So, as mentioned above, my next session will see the players maybe heading off to Thalassa at the behest of Provost Shala.

Now, the Thalassans are supposed to be schemers and manipulators, so I'm trying to think of how that will play out. One idea I had is that the whole idea of stealing the data and kidnapping Thorkan is a set up. The Thalassans let it happen, in order to make Torpol dependent on Thalassa in some way.

Not sure of the details yet, but I'm finding it difficult to do justice to the Thalassans as masters of intrigue while not introducing a plot-based adventure that railroads the players or otherwise proves frustrating because of all the layers of crossing and double-crossing and so on.

Any thoughts from more experienced heads appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan.
Bulletsponge
Shrew

Postby Bulletsponge » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:36 pm

ochd wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:36 pm
So, as mentioned above, my next session will see the players maybe heading off to Thalassa at the behest of Provost Shala.

Now, the Thalassans are supposed to be schemers and manipulators, so I'm trying to think of how that will play out. One idea I had is that the whole idea of stealing the data and kidnapping Thorkan is a set up. The Thalassans let it happen, in order to make Torpol dependent on Thalassa in some way.

Not sure of the details yet, but I'm finding it difficult to do justice to the Thalassans as masters of intrigue while not introducing a plot-based adventure that railroads the players or otherwise proves frustrating because of all the layers of crossing and double-crossing and so on.

Any thoughts from more experienced heads appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan.

Maybe the Thalassans aren't in control at all. Maybe the bio-engineered plant matter became sentient and now controls the people of the planet. The lives of their cities depend on these creatures that could drown them at any moment. Maybe this revelation was discovered too late and the plant beings have something to control them with. Like, they take their children as collateral until they reach a certain age. If they step out of line, their children turn up dead. That would keep the Thalassans from talking, but isn't it strange that there are no children anywhere? Perhaps you could take the players to a medical facility to find Thorkan and they notice that the children's section is no longer being used.
When they get to Thorkan, they can get some answers. Maybe Thorkan has a solution to killing the beings, but saving the city. Maybe it was he/she that caused the whole problem in the first place. Maybe Thorkan's grandchild was killed because he/she stepped out of line already and now the beings have nothing to hold over him/her.

Haha, just some ideas. I could go on if you'd like.

This could be a good way for us to work out stories together. It can be difficult thinking of original(ish) ideas.

I look forward to reading what you do.
Good Luck,
Jim
ochd
Mongoose

Postby ochd » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:37 pm

Bulletsponge wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:36 pm
Maybe the Thalassans aren't in control at all. Maybe the bio-engineered plant matter became sentient and now controls the people of the planet.
Hey, I like that idea, and think I will borrow it -- probably not to the extent that the plant matter has taken over the world, but maybe as a nasty surprise waiting in the bioresearch lab. :twisted:

Ta,

Dan.
paltrysum
Banded Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:21 pm

We're about three sessions away from starting Drinax. My players just passed through Theev on their current adventure and I had them get pirated by Ferrik Redthane. He made off with MCr1.5 of robotics from their Far Trader's cargo hold. They sooooo want revenge! I think my little attempt at foreshadowing should get us off to a good start on "Honor Among Thieves." :D
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
Bulletsponge
Shrew

Postby Bulletsponge » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:53 am

ochd wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:37 pm
Hey, I like that idea, and think I will borrow it -- probably not to the extent that the plant matter has taken over the world, but maybe as a nasty surprise waiting in the bioresearch lab. :twisted:

Ta,

Dan.
Consider it given. Glad to help. I don't know if I am going to use all that either. I was just spit-balling.

paltrysum, I like that plan. I wish I had started them off on some other stuff first. I just let gave them all a reason for being at Drinax.
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:24 pm

A planet-wide sentience was a major plot element of the film Solaris. The remake that starred George Clooney is more accessible and it's pretty weird. Try the Russian original by Tarkovsky if you're really adventurous.
Annatar Giftbringer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:25 pm

ochd wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:37 pm
Bulletsponge wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:36 pm
Maybe the Thalassans aren't in control at all. Maybe the bio-engineered plant matter became sentient and now controls the people of the planet.

Ta,

Dan.
Sentient plant matter, you say? You guys are gonna love Rift adventure 2: Deepnight Endeavour! It has an... entity... that might prove useful for this kind of adventure... ;)
ochd
Mongoose

Postby ochd » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:58 pm

Thanks for those tips. I'll check them both out.

Dan.
paltrysum
Banded Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:58 pm

Bulletsponge wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:18 pm
Remarkably, they convinced Miria to betray Redthane and join their cause with the help of the psionic making her afraid and the negotiator rolling double sixes with a +3 DM. They have yet to go after him though. That was where we ended the session until Tuesday. I'm interested in seeing how they go about it.
I had an idea for the Palindrome seed. I made up a little backstory about how Lady Yemar once had a lover that captained a salvaged Harrier. Seeing a Harrier on Theev while she was there for her treatments, made her sentimental. The lover is long since dead, but the remains of the vessel is in a hanger on Palindrome. She offers the party a chance to salvage parts from it (plus cash) in trade for kidnapping the weapons maker. She has recieved information that he is on Marduk with an undersea research team. I planned to use the Marooned on Marduk quest once they get there, because it is awesome.
I've yet to finish how they complete, but I am thinking the target is in some underwater base researching a deadly species for a new weapon. They need a sub and use the Gods of Marduk quest contact and his funding if the party assists him in his venture... and that's as far as I got.
I have a player that is out right now and I wanted to keep the other players busy as we all learn the game together.
How did this play out for your group? I'm interested in knowing especially since I found out my players might well be heading to Marduk.
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."