Is TAS dead?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Is TAS dead?

Postby phavoc » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:43 am

Looking in the forum and it's been nearly six months since anything has been posted by contributors.

Did it burn out or just fade away? Are there still people interested in TAS to publish through it??
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Is TAS dead?

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:49 am

The forum here isn't being used. But TAS goods are showing up on drive thru.
paltrysum
Banded Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:07 pm

Or even more importantly, what's TAS? You can use those InDesign templates to make your own stuff?
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:11 pm

paltrysum wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:07 pm
Or even more importantly, what's TAS? You can use those InDesign templates to make your own stuff?
viewtopic.php?f=150&t=119091
paltrysum
Banded Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:11 pm

Thanks, Andrew. Very cool! Have any of you posted anything in the TAS format? This looks great. I think I'll reformat my adventures and sourcebook material with their InDesign tools and post them on DriveThru. Seems preferable to posting them on the forum.
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:40 am

Yeah, I think the TAS forum could probably just get integrated into the main forum.
Outtasight!
dmccoy1693
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby dmccoy1693 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:36 am

Jon Brazer Enterprises is continues to support MGT through TAS.
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:59 pm

I published one adventure via TAS. Unfortunately without the ability to advertise it, it was my lowest selling Traveller product.

I will not be writing any more under TAS.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:52 pm

Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:59 pm
I published one adventure via TAS. Unfortunately without the ability to advertise it, it was my lowest selling Traveller product.

You advertised only your other products?
Gypsy Knights Games
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Gypsy Knights Games » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:28 am

ShawnDriscoll wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:52 pm
Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:59 pm

You advertised only your other products?
No, Shawn.

On DTRPG, publishers get "publisher points" that can be used to purchase ads on the website. Those ads are fairly effective.

However, publishers with TAS products cannot advertise TAS products with those points. So, in effect, you are prevented from putting out those kinds of ads for those products on the OBS sites.

Hope that helps.
John Watts
Gypsy Knights Games

Home of the Clement Sector setting.

Our website.

On Twitter @GKGames , Google + as Gypsy Knights Games and Facebook as GypsyKnights Games
dmccoy1693
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby dmccoy1693 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:06 am

I will admit, it is considerably harder, but it can still be done, relying much more on social media and your own network of fans still works. The thing DriveThruRPG doesn't realize is that by removing my ability to advertise on their website, they trained me in how to advertise elsewhere. So when I started my own webstore, I just turned that publicity generating machine towards my own site instead of theirs. Which sets me up for the future when I want to have my own non-TAS Traveller setting. I'll be able to do pre-orders right through my own site, reducing DriveThruRPG influence on what I do.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:40 am

I would have thought that TAS forum would have been used to advertise TAS products from the various small publishers.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:08 am

dmccoy1693 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:06 am
I will admit, it is considerably harder, but it can still be done, relying much more on social media and your own network of fans still works. The thing DriveThruRPG doesn't realize is that by removing my ability to advertise on their website, they trained me in how to advertise elsewhere. So when I started my own webstore, I just turned that publicity generating machine towards my own site instead of theirs. Which sets me up for the future when I want to have my own non-TAS Traveller setting. I'll be able to do pre-orders right through my own site, reducing DriveThruRPG influence on what I do.
I never click on ads on OBS. I only go there to buy what I already know what I'm looking for. Usually through links posted here to drivethru. I expect to see RPG products mentioned on writers' YouTube channels. I don't do Kickstarter. Most of what I buy at drivethru is stuff I've seen reviewed on YouTube.
dmccoy1693
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby dmccoy1693 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:41 am

ShawnDriscoll wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:08 am
I never click on ads on OBS. I only go there to buy what I already know what I'm looking for. Usually through links posted here to drivethru. I expect to see RPG products mentioned on writers' YouTube channels. I don't do Kickstarter. Most of what I buy at drivethru is stuff I've seen reviewed on YouTube.
It's not just an ad on DriveThruRPG. It's also emails sent direct to past/potential customers--which I consider to be more valuable than ads--and the deal of the day and a few other things. Even then, the ads are important even if you don't click on them. It helps to keep awareness of the company and their products in people's minds. But as your buying habits show, they have their limits.
dmccoy1693
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby dmccoy1693 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:45 am

phavoc wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:40 am
I would have thought that TAS forum would have been used to advertise TAS products from the various small publishers.
Why go to a different, read separate, forum when my potential customers are right here? They shouldn't go to me; I should go to them.

Not to mention that a separate forum only reinforces the notion that what I produce is less valid for a Traveller game than what Mongoose produces. It's the whole "compatible publishers suck" idea that I'm leaving Pathfinder because of.
paltrysum
Banded Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:55 am

On a related note, what tools did each of you use to produce your TAS materials? Did you use the InDesign template that was provided? Or just imitate the look and use different tools?
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:03 am

dmccoy1693 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:41 am
It's not just an ad on DriveThruRPG. It's also emails sent direct to past/potential customers--which I consider to be more valuable than ads--and the deal of the day and a few other things. Even then, the ads are important even if you don't click on them. It helps to keep awareness of the company and their products in people's minds. But as your buying habits show, they have their limits.
I also buy when I'm emailed. I forgot about that part of OBS.
dmccoy1693
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby dmccoy1693 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:39 pm

paltrysum wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:55 am
On a related note, what tools did each of you use to produce your TAS materials? Did you use the InDesign template that was provided? Or just imitate the look and use different tools?
I use InDesign for layout, Photoshop to modify artwork (or I just hire an artist when I want it to actually look good), and Google Docs for the words part. I use some of the artwork in the MGT pack, but mostly I use it as a sample to show an artist how I want a ship or an alien to look. I tried copying the style in the MGT2e core book, but I was not happy with what I came up with. So finally I made my own style.
dmccoy1693
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby dmccoy1693 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:04 pm

Speaking of the Glorious Hype Machine™, be sure to order your copy of the D66 Compendium 2, now available in print at DriveThruRPG. No Traveller GM should be without this book.
Linwood
Banded Mongoose

Postby Linwood » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:14 am

Already have it - and it’s been very handy!