What do you think

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JMISBEST
Mongoose

What do you think

Postby JMISBEST » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:07 pm

I'm working on a idea for A Super-powerful Modular Cutter for use by civilians in my Uber Empire that is Tech Level and want some advise and to know what you think of it

It masses at least 100 tons, has A 60 ton vehicle bay that can carry either 6 10 ton fighters or up to 60 tons of vehicles, none of which can mass more then 35 tons, it has 5 tons for stuff for maintenance, repair and upkeep on the vehicles and has room between the vehicles to move between them, A 5 ton bridge, 10 tons for weapons and 20 tons that can hold up to 12 marines and 8 people to work on the vehicles, but they have to carry, hold or wear all the stuff that can't be stored in the supplies part of the hold

What do you think of this vehicle and how many tons for Engines, Fuel Scoops and Processors to purify in 3 days and space for Fuel does it need for Jump 1, Thrust 2 and 9 days worth of operations time without refuelling. Please advise
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: What do you think

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:13 pm

It's needs a good plot with characters. Or is this ship the star of the show?
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:36 pm

Well, there are a lot of issues here. First, your cutter is a starship if it has jump capability. So you may want to rethink your naming nomenclature.

You have 60 tons for a hangar, but you wouldn't be able to store exactly 6 10 ton ships, since there is always wastage associated with that. Better to simply have the tonnage set aside and have some sample build outs for examples.

Is your 5 tons of bridge sufficient space for a starship design?

The 10 tons of weapons is for storage, starship turrets, magazines, or vehicle-class weapons?

20 tons for crew accommodation is going to be too little for a starship, but you could get away with that if you didn't need full staterooms because the ship didn't travel more than a day.

Just off the top of my head you are looking at least at a 200 ton hull for starship ops, probaby 300 if you need to fit in all of that.
twodsix
Shrew

Postby twodsix » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:52 pm

JMISBEST wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:07 pm
I'm working on a idea for A Super-powerful Modular Cutter for use by civilians in my Uber Empire that is Tech Level and want some advise and to know what you think of it

It masses at least 100 tons, has A 60 ton vehicle bay that can carry either 6 10 ton fighters or up to 60 tons of vehicles, none of which can mass more then 35 tons, it has 5 tons for stuff for maintenance, repair and upkeep on the vehicles and has room between the vehicles to move between them, A 5 ton bridge, 10 tons for weapons and 20 tons that can hold up to 12 marines and 8 people to work on the vehicles, but they have to carry, hold or wear all the stuff that can't be stored in the supplies part of the hold

What do you think of this vehicle and how many tons for Engines, Fuel Scoops and Processors to purify in 3 days and space for Fuel does it need for Jump 1, Thrust 2 and 9 days worth of operations time without refuelling. Please advise
Let's start with a 150dton hull, just because I know it'll all fit.

M-drive = 3dtons
J-drive = 7.5dtons
Power plant = <100 power points, 5dtons TL15 fusion or 1dton antimatter. (not including fuel processors, but should be able to be done at full capacity with thrust 1)
Jump fuel = 15 dtons
Power plant fuel = 0.5 dtons for one month.
Bridge =10dtons
Weapons = 10dtons
Crew = 20dtons
Vehicles = 60dtons
Fuel Scoop = 0dtons
Fuel Processors (fills tankage in one day) = 1dton

102dtons, 48 spare

So you can probably squeeze it all in 100dtons (not that much of a shock, the modular cutter gives a 30dton bay and most elements aren't quite linear (although drives are you're also going for half the thrust). If it's going to be a battle craft you probably want more tonnage dedicated to armour or High Technology shields.