Best sourcebooks on the Imperium

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Hakkonen
Shrew

Best sourcebooks on the Imperium

Postby Hakkonen » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:29 am

I'm looking for more information on the Third Imperium, particularly the workings of the Imperial government and military, the interplay of Imperial and local laws, relations with and between member worlds, and day-to-day life. What titles should I be looking for?
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Best sourcebooks on the Imperium

Postby phavoc » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:12 pm

That's a hard one to answer. That information is spread out through so many supplements that it would be difficult to say just one, or even three books.

Check out the Traveller wiki to start.
mthomps016
Cub

Postby mthomps016 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:53 pm

Gurps Traveller Rim of Fire is one of the best setting books written. It's got a good bit on how the Imperium operates in that vision.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:56 am

Mongoose's Library Data book.
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:42 pm

It's a bit of a niche within your target domain, but GURPS Traveller Nobles is a really solid sourcebook.

Further into special interest areas are some other GURPS Traveller titles, such as Far Trader (economics, with at least one professional economist as a co-author) and Starports (about the visitor experience of a starport, not just mundane stuff like construction details).

I would guess that the recent stuff by Marc Miller would have a lot of significant details too, but I haven't seen it myself, and my secondhand impression is that the material is not organized as well as it could be.

I think the old Rebellion era sourcebooks would be useful too, because in describing how the fragmented Imperium works, one could piece together a lot about how the unified Imperium functioned. Again, however, that's more a secondhand impression.

There are also the Milieu 0 books, which describe the beginning of the Imperium. I haven't read them closely or recently, but they're interesting reading anyway. Reviews complained about rough editing, but I didn't read them closely enough to notice that.

Short answer: the information is scattered around everywhere, and if you have specific questions you might find answers more easily by asking.