Gauss Weapons - Zero-G?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
AnotherDilbert
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: Gauss Weapons - Zero-G?

Postby AnotherDilbert » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:24 pm

Condottiere wrote: On the other hand, if it's pulled forward like attraction rather than repelled, do you get a forward momentum rather than recoil?
No, "pushed" or "pulled" is just a choice of frame of reference, the result is the same.

A net result force on the projectile will result in an opposite force on the weapon, as is required to conserve momentum.
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby dragoner » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:46 pm

For me, merely saying yes, it has recoil, is enough; otherwise it is too much crunch in game.
Annatar Giftbringer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:53 pm

Yes, it has recoil

:)

(Sorry, couldn’t resist)
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:27 pm

I'm looking over weapons in MgT and I think I see what's going on. No other basic slug thrower has intrinsic armor piercing. That sounds like that dense dart, along with high velocity, has the energy to punch very hard. As we have been discussing, that amount of power should translate to equivalent recoil. MgT has a Bulky trait the describes large or unwieldy OR high recoil. A few slug throwers such as the heavy revolver, shotguns in general, big game rifle and the heavy advanced combat rifle have that trait which would represent having a kickback. The gauss weapons, including the magrail weapons, don't. This sounds like gauss weapons do in fact by their physics reduce but don't eliminate recoil. It suffers the effects of zero g combat like any other normal slug thrower while still having kinetic damage ability combustion weapons can't match.
NOLATrav
Stoat

Postby NOLATrav » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:05 am

Reynard wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:27 pm
It suffers the effects of zero g combat like any other normal slug thrower while still having kinetic damage ability combustion weapons can't match.
This is an aspect i hadn’t considered when I posted the original question. Now that I understand the inherent recoil involved I’m inclined to keep Gauss weapons RAW. But i do still like the idea of variable power and I’m going to keep exploring that.
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:26 am

Variable power gauss weapons? I like that, might have to investigate it for a future adventure or supplement :)
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Annatar Giftbringer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:20 am

Please do - feels like there’s lots of potential to create a fun (game/ruleswise) and versatile weapon system!
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:14 pm

You let the slug loop a bit to build up acceleration.