Let's Talk Grav-Ball

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
mancerbear
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Let's Talk Grav-Ball

Postby mancerbear » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:48 pm

Next session I'm introducing grav-ball as a background element in my game. Problem, I don't know much about the game except there are 6 players on a side, a 5kg metal ball, zero-g field, and Heartless Heuwey to sort out issues.

Can anyone else provide more information?

What are the rules?

What positions are there?

How does one score?

Tried to find the rules for the old FASA Grav-Ball board game but came up stumps.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Let's Talk Grav-Ball

Postby Reynard » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:58 am

I own the game and always thought it is a perfect crossover as a Traveller sport. Same for FASA's other game, Combots. I just dug them out but it's near bed time. Try to give a synopsis soon.

Two words though - Heartless Huey.
mancerbear
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby mancerbear » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:23 am

Thanks Reynard

It will be a background detail on Mongo, with a lot of talk in the bars about the Subsector Final going on.

I'm going to be using a league similar to that of soccer, with a Sector-wide championship occurring every four years and Subsector championships every one year.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:56 pm

Two 17 person teams -first line, second line and alternatives. Each line has a forward, left and right halfback, a left and right fullback and a goalie. The other team members are replacements.

The forward wears the least armor but are the most accurate to shoot the goal. Fullbacks are heavily armored for physical combat and checking and not very accurate shooting the ball. Goalies are the most armored able to block shots. The armor has magnetic propulsion to move in the zero-g.

The teams faceoff and the ball drops from the ceiling. The court known as the Volume is 26 meters by 20 meters by 4 meters and in free fall. It's divided in half with a goal at either end. The game is three periods of six turns (one minute).

Players can pass the 5 kg steel ball, shoot for the goal, body and or foot check opposition, block, strike with the ball or an elbow, assault and catch or block the ball.

The game encourages assaulting each other. However, an Incapacitation rendering a player unconscious activates Heartless Huey. This is a drone who enters the volume and seeks out the closest non-stunned or non-incapacitated player and assaults them until incapacitated. It remains on court and attacks again if anyone else is incapacitated until the turn is up. Incapacitated players are replaced with alternatives.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:26 pm

COMBOTS is cool too. Originally war machines for planetary and orbital actions, the drones are massive 5 m tall armored constructs with a propulsion and maneuver system and modularized to carry a variety of offensive and defensive units. The equipment tenders which modules attach rotate to bring weapons and shields to bear or protect systems. Missiles, lasers and hydraulic claws are the weapons of choice.

The games take place either on immense arenas with walls and debris obstructions or in space littered with asteroids. Spectators have seating near (relatively) the arena which include holodisplays for up close views of the action. There are Scout, Warrior and Marauder combots each more deadly and played as level divisions. Combat is usually between two to five units but there can be special large scale event either in space or over a huge planetary battleground.
mancerbear
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby mancerbear » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:11 pm

Thank Reynard. That's perfect.
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:31 pm

I actually like the idea of an old fashioned sport carrying on all the way into the far future. Blades are fairly common as part of Navy and Marine tradition, so one would expect fencing to be a common sport. Racing has never gone out of fashion; it could be on foot, swimming, muscle vehicle (cycling, rowing, or muscle plane on suitable worlds), animal racing, animal powered vehicles, motor vehicles, sails, etc. The Authentic Movement (link) could revive all sorts of ancient sports. Maybe some have never gone out of fashion, even if they're pretty abstract.

I kind of like the idea of baseball as a present day sport that might turn up in Traveller, presumably through the Authentic Movement. Real baseball has fixed rules for play and for infield dimensions, but outfield dimensions are left to the convenience of each team's facilities. That variation would go well with variations like different atmospheric density and gravity. Home field advantage might be an even bigger deal than in the present.

Similar points might apply to cricket, but I know very little about the game other than what I picked up from a Bollywood movie or two.

http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Authentic_Movement
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:17 am

Brockian Ultra-Cricket
In some of the higher dimensions beings feel they can more or less please themselves, and have been playing this peculiar game for whatever their transdimensional equivalent of billions of years is.

Let's be blunt, it's a nasty game but then anyone who has been to any of the higher dimensions will know that they're a pretty nasty heathen lot up there who should just be smashed and done in, and would be, too, if anyone could work out a way of firing missiles at right-angles to reality.

None of these facts, however strange or inexplicable, is as strange or inexplicable as the rules of the game of Brockian Ultra-Cricket, as played in the higher dimensions. A full set of rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a Black Hole.

A brief summary, however, is as follows:

Rule One: Grow at least three extra legs. You won’t need them, but it keeps the crowds amused.

Rule Two: Find one extremely good Brockian Ultra Cricket player. Clone him off a few times. This saves an enormous amount of tedious selection and training.

Rule Three: Put your team and the opposing team in a large field and build a high wall around them. The reason for this is that, though the game is a major spectator sport, the frustration experienced by the audience at not actually being able to see what’s going on leads them to imagine that it’s a lot more exciting than it really is. A crowd that has just watched a rather humdrum game experiences far less life affirmation than a crowd that believes it has just missed the most dramatic event in sporting history.

Rule Four: Throw lots of assorted items of sporting equipment over the wall for the players. Anything will do – cricket bats, basecube bats, tennis racquets, skis, anything you can get a good swing with.

Rule Five: The players should now lay about themselves for all they are worth with whatever they find to hand. Whenever a player scored a “hit” on another player, he should immediately run away as fast as he can and apologize from a safe distance. Apologies should be concise, sincere, and, for maximum clarity and points, delivered through a megaphone.

Rule Six: The winning team shall be the first team that wins.

Curiously enough, the more the obsession with the game grows in the higher dimensions, the less it is actually played, since most of the competing teams are now in a state of permanent warfare with each other over the interpretation of these rules. This is all for the best, because in the long run a good solid war is less psychologically damaging than a protracted game of Brockian Ultra-Cricket.
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:00 pm

Sounds like something out of a Douglas Adams novel...
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.