Best book (any edition) about the Imperium?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Kodiak3d
Shrew
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:54 pm

Best book (any edition) about the Imperium?

Postby Kodiak3d » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:30 am

I've only recently discovered Traveller, but I've fallen in love with it. Not sure how my friends and I missed it over the years (I've been gaming for 30 years). I love the freedom it grants to it's players and referee while still providing a detailed setting.

Anyway, I was wondering what book, from any edition, gives the best information about the Third Imperium itself. The "High Laws," how it functions, etc. Any help is appreciated.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2512
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Best book (any edition) about the Imperium?

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:35 am

The best?

Most editions have their re-printed stuff about the Imperium's history. But the ones I look through the most are the GURPS Traveller 2nd edition corebook, GURPS Nobles, MegaTraveller's Imperial Encyclopedia. And of course, Mongoose has their 3rd Imperium book. They all have the same info in them pretty much.
Jeraa
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 527
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:01 pm

Re: Best book (any edition) about the Imperium?

Postby Jeraa » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:47 am

Do note that GURPS changes some things, however. The assassination of Strephon (and everything that results from it) doesn't happen in GURPS Traveller.
Kodiak3d
Shrew
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:54 pm

Re: Best book (any edition) about the Imperium?

Postby Kodiak3d » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:50 am

ShawnDriscoll wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:35 am
The best?

Most editions have their re-printed stuff about the Imperium's history. But the ones I look through the most are the GURPS Traveller 2nd edition corebook, GURPS Nobles, MegaTraveller's Imperial Encyclopedia. And of course, Mongoose has their 3rd Imperium book. They all have the same info in them pretty much.
Mongoose has a book specifically about the Imperium? I know they have an entire line of books about various things, but I didn't know there was one about the Imperium itself. Which is that?
tytalan
Stoat
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Re: Best book (any edition) about the Imperium?

Postby tytalan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:59 am

The mongoose book not due until some time next year
Kodiak3d
Shrew
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:54 pm

Re: Best book (any edition) about the Imperium?

Postby Kodiak3d » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:03 am

tytalan wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:59 am
The mongoose book not due until some time next year
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for that.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2512
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Best book (any edition) about the Imperium?

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:03 am

Kodiak3d wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:50 am
ShawnDriscoll wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:35 am
The best?

Most editions have their re-printed stuff about the Imperium's history. But the ones I look through the most are the GURPS Traveller 2nd edition corebook, GURPS Nobles, MegaTraveller's Imperial Encyclopedia. And of course, Mongoose has their 3rd Imperium book. They all have the same info in them pretty much.
Mongoose has a book specifically about the Imperium? I know they have an entire line of books about various things, but I didn't know there was one about the Imperium itself. Which is that?
Mongoose published their own Library Data book for 1st edition. It might be on DriveThru these days. I don't see any LBBs in the store here.

ADDED:
Found it https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/89 ... brary-Data
tytalan
Stoat
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Re: Best book (any edition) about the Imperium?

Postby tytalan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:22 am

A couple of things that might not be clear from these sources Kodiak
1 and in many ways this is the most important the empire controls exactly 7 worlds the 6 navy depot's and the capital every other planet is controlled by the locals. Except every spaceport is considered a part of the empire and is governed by imperial law that includes any bases which will be attached.
2 the empire only has 4 laws if I remember right
1 no system may interfere with interstellar trade
2 every imperial citizen has the right if they can afford it to travel anywhere in the empire
3 you do not have the right to destroy planetary environments
4 the use or training in psionic is prohibited in the empire
There more to it but one of the big thing to remember is the empire in many ways is a trade protect organization.
Kodiak3d
Shrew
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:54 pm

Re: Best book (any edition) about the Imperium?

Postby Kodiak3d » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:47 am

Thanks, Ty. I appreciate the help. I knew the Imperium was mostly hands-off, but as a GM, I like to know my setting as well as possible, so I was just looking for the best material.

Hadn't seen the laws, so thank you for that :-)
tytalan
Stoat
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Re: Best book (any edition) about the Imperium?

Postby tytalan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:09 am

One of the problems is that a lot of the information is in short articles in The old JTAS
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:13 am
Location: near Seattle

Re: Best book (any edition) about the Imperium?

Postby steve98052 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:04 pm

Another Imperial law: no slavery.
tytalan
Stoat
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Re: Best book (any edition) about the Imperium?

Postby tytalan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:29 pm

Thank you Steve I forgot that one mostly because the empire does allow labor camps for convicted criminals which is often abused by the more shall we say authoritian planet governments.
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:13 am
Location: near Seattle

Re: Best book (any edition) about the Imperium?

Postby steve98052 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:51 pm

tytalan wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:29 pm
Thank you Steve I forgot that one mostly because the empire does allow labor camps for convicted criminals which is often abused by the more shall we say authoritian planet governments.
You're welcome.

And heck, the allowance for convict labor is often abused by some of the more authoritarian US state governments.

Additionally, there is often a fuzzy line between debt-slavery, prisoner labor, and outright slavery. There's also contractual indenture. Some historical examples of slavery allowed slaves to own property, and sometimes reasonable chances to buy oneself out of slavery, which might be less oppressive than some things that aren't called slavery.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 5286
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Re: Best book (any edition) about the Imperium?

Postby Condottiere » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:15 am

I like to think it's Fighting Ships.
Varulv
Cub
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:16 pm

Re: Best book (any edition) about the Imperium?

Postby Varulv » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:43 pm

tytalan wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:22 am
...
1 and in many ways this is the most important the empire controls exactly 7 worlds the 6 navy depot's and the capital every other planet is controlled by the locals.
...
The Traveller wiki lists 19 navy depots (http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Naval_Depot), but regardless of the exact number, where can I find more information regarding exactly which territories are directly controlled by the Third Imperium?
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3299
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:20 pm
Location: Arlington, TX USA

Re: Best book (any edition) about the Imperium?

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:54 pm

Check out MGT1's Spinward Marches book - there is a GREAT section on the Imperium within it. Not so much an entire book, but a really good chapter summary of the Imperium, how it works, and its history.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 11 guests