CSC: Electronics Suite cost?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
paltrysum
Mongoose

CSC: Electronics Suite cost?

Postby paltrysum » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:03 am

The electronics suite is listed for various TLs on page 19 of the Central Supply Catalogue but no prices are shown. Has there ever been errata for that? Or is it just intended to reflect what you get with certain types of armor?
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
Annatar Giftbringer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: CSC: Electronics Suite cost?

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:00 am

That's a list of what's included at different TLs, as per p.18 "non-powered suits", so no separate cost.
GarethL
Mongoose

Postby GarethL » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:56 pm

Actually on this note I have a query,

If I buy an Armour item with a TL of, say, 10 from a TL 12 world, will it have the better electronics suite?

(just because the armour tops out at a TL doesn't mean that it is necessarily obsolete)
Annatar Giftbringer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:30 pm

GarethL wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:56 pm
Actually on this note I have a query,

If I buy an Armour item with a TL of, say, 10 from a TL 12 world, will it have the better electronics suite?

(just because the armour tops out at a TL doesn't mean that it is necessarily obsolete)
That is a very good question! Um, I'm basically making this up as I type, but these are my thoughts...

Per default, I'd say a TL10 suit has TL10 electronics package, regardless of if it's built on a TL10 or 15 world. Not every piece of equipment needs the very latest gizmos, just look at equipment today - not ever wrist watch is a smart iwatch, there are still analogue time-telling devices.

Deliberately building with older, less capable components could even decrease the price, if the referee wants to :)

However, since we are here to have fun, and the CSC is more of a toolbox than hard rules, I'd say it should be very possible to install a better electronics package in a lower TL suit! Most of the components exist as separate items within the pages of the book, so if your suit originally lacked PRIS goggles, just pay the price for a set and install them! Computers and communicators have several versions, depending on TL, so just pick the one you want and have it installed in your custom suit!

Exactly what's needed for the installation is up to the referee, but a workshop and/or skilled craftsman of the required TL should suffice, and if buying the custom suit from a store they should be able to fix it (possibly at a cost).

Something like that?
AnotherDilbert
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:09 pm

I would assume an armour produced at TL12 is actually TL12 with appropriate electronics for TL12, regardless of when that type of armour became available.

Just like a ground-car at TL7 uses TL7 electronics, not TL4 or TL5 "electronics".