Ship Design with Deck Plans: TL-14 Type RU Cargo Tug

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
paltrysum
Mongoose

Ship Design with Deck Plans: TL-14 Type RU Cargo Tug

Postby paltrysum » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Another ship design, this one using the hull of a subsidized merchant to create a frontier cargo tug. I call her the Emerald Crocus.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LCw ... sp=sharing

I envision this one getting some use in the Outrim Void of the Trojan Reach. It could be built at Albe's Type-A starport with weapons possibly imported from Realgar.
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
AnotherDilbert
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: Ship Design with Deck Plans: TL-14 Type RU Cargo Tug

Postby AnotherDilbert » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:52 pm

Nice deck-plans!

How do you figure 2 G at full load?
paltrysum
Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:34 pm

Bad math. It appears it's 1G. I edited the description. I believe it's correct now. Thanks for posting!
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:38 pm

I'm picturing, by its features, a war time salvage vessel scavenging regions after battles able to protect itself from pirates and other scavengers doing the same. Salvage would be the legal term though less savory elements could use it to attack, dismember and haul away cargo prizes.
paltrysum
Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:09 pm

That's more or less what I envision, yes. I noticed that I completely misunderstood Mongoose's concept for the launch. On their deckplans, it looked to me as if they were converting the old dorsally mounted launch into a small docking space for a cylindrical launch. The lack of mechanical details on their illustration (i.e., drives) confused me. I will alter the illustration shortly to show that its supposed to be a traditional Subby launch.

EDIT: Done. I think the launch deck plan is more faithful to the original now.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:08 pm

I had to stare at the deck plan a bit and still have a hard time with an external launch. A docking bay is internal and that's what holds the vessel in place. While docked externally, it would require clamps but that means the vessel is an additional tonnage to the ship. I know some are saying 'docking bay' represents the launch's tonnage internally or externally. The introduction of docking clamps make internal and external storage separate functions. I would suggest putting an enclosed docking space as a third level deck OR adding external clamps and making the ship 380 dton including the clamps plus the 20 dtons for the launch.
paltrysum
Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:08 pm

Yeah, we talked about the oddity of the Subsidised Merchant docking space here:

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=120513

The conclusion being that even though it looks like a docking clamp, it's actually a docking space.