Mercenary Cruiser deck plan flaws?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
paltrysum
Mongoose

Mercenary Cruiser deck plan flaws?

Postby paltrysum » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:39 pm

Looking at the Mercenary Cruiser deck plans in MgT2 High Guard, and I notice two problems:
  • No airlock
  • No outward-facing cargo doors
An oversight? The only way onto and off this ship appears to be the modular cutters.
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
Jeraa
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Mercenary Cruiser deck plan flaws?

Postby Jeraa » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:21 pm

paltrysum wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:39 pm
Looking at the Mercenary Cruiser deck plans in MgT2 High Guard, and I notice two problems:
  • No airlock
  • No outward-facing cargo doors
An oversight? The only way onto and off this ship appears to be the modular cutters.
There is an airlock (normally for the air/raft) on one of the quarters decks. There is also an airlock on the avionics deck (the rectangular room in the otherwise green circle).

The original design (Back in CT Adventure 7) had elevators (which also worked as airlocks) going from the bottom of the landing legs up to the muster deck. The MgT design has elevators as well, but going from the marshelling deck up instead of down like they should.
Last edited by Jeraa on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paltrysum
Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:25 pm

I sold those books a long time ago, so thanks for the recap. I do seem to remember the legs having access to the outside. I'm creating a custom version of the merc cruiser that puts its grunts in cold sleep and I'm in the process of redoing the deck plans. I think I'll add airlocks to two of the legs.
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:43 pm

The Mercenary Cruiser has always had issues. The design itself is rather odd for the mission, and it would seem that each variation had associated problems with it.

Don't sweat it though. It's easier to just come up with a better-designed 800 ton merc ship then try to fix the problems.
paltrysum
Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:02 am

Oh, but making the oddities somehow fit into game reality is one of my favorite Traveller pastimes!
tytalan
Stoat

Postby tytalan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:43 am

One thing i wish someone would draw up is the strimline version they mentioned it in the TAS issue that had the design. Kinda like the gazelle strimlined sister the furry, which I personally like better, that was eventually given a full write up in one of the MTJ's. Greate books I have all 4? Maybe it was 5 or 6 I have them all just can't remember how many there was
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:59 pm

There's no reason now that the alphabet drives and standard hulls are gone that you can't inflate the balloon to a thousand tonnes.