Mongoose Traveller and T5 compatibility

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2512
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Mongoose Traveller and T5 compatibility

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:10 pm

mancerbear wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:04 am
https://goo.gl/images/8F8Vzi

That's a Virushi, image from JTAS. The Virushi are among the largest intelligent races encountered by Humaniti. With quasi-centauroid bodies nearly 3.0 meters long, standing around 1.8 meters at the shoulder, and weighing around a ton, they are a formidable sight; however this effect is balanced by their well-justified reputation for pacifism.

I don't have an image if an Amindii but imagine a 7ft tall grasshopper.
Exo-skeleton with hydraulic strength. Able to fly/carry an armored vehicle. The Amindii that roll a 4D6 strength of 20+ get to be queen of the race. 12ft tall of a beast.
mancerbear
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:34 am

Re: Mongoose Traveller and T5 compatibility

Postby mancerbear » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:41 pm

Ok, so a little bit more research has borne fruit. It turns out that the stat dice in T5 do not map exactly to Mongoose or CT. this is what I have discovered.

In T5 Aslan have a Strenght of 3D, Amindii a Strength of 4D, and Virushi a Strength of 5D

In Mongoose Aslan have a Strength of 2D+2, and Virushi a Strength of 1D+10.

That gives me something to work with for the Amindii. They are stronger than Aslan, but not as strong as Virushi. Aslan have a max Strength with just raw dice of 14 while Virushi have a max Strength of 16. Perfect. So at a guess, Amindii in Mongoose Traveller have a Strength of 2D+3 with a max raw dice Strength of 15.

That looks ok to me. And input?
AnotherDilbert
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2351
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:49 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Mongoose Traveller and T5 compatibility

Postby AnotherDilbert » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:34 pm

If you want the Amindii midway between Aslan and Virushi that is a little low, just barely better than the Aslan.

Image

You want something with an average of around 11.25. 1D+8 might be serviceable, it is the same max as the Aslan, but that happens much more often ( ⅙ instead of ¹/₃₆ ).
mancerbear
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:34 am

Re: Mongoose Traveller and T5 compatibility

Postby mancerbear » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:12 pm

Fair point AnotherDilbert. Thank you.
mancerbear
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:34 am

Re: Mongoose Traveller and T5 compatibility

Postby mancerbear » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:17 am

Amindii stats:

Strength D+8
Dexterity 2D+1
Endurance 2D
Intelligence 2D
Education 2D
Social 2D

More to come such as special abilities and gender differences.
tytalan
Stoat
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Re: Mongoose Traveller and T5 compatibility

Postby tytalan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:08 am

Does anyone have a opinion on feather it's worth it to pick up T5 to supplement my MgT2?
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2906
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: Mongoose Traveller and T5 compatibility

Postby Reynard » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:07 am

I think there's plenty of information in T5 to enhance MgT2e. The two compliment each other. The sophont generator alone sold me on T5. I'm a very big Traveller fan so it was easier for me to justify picking it up. Try the PDF if the hardcopy price is an issue.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2512
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Mongoose Traveller and T5 compatibility

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:46 am

The T5 PDF has been edited to version 5.09. Don't buy the out-dated hardcover. There are lots of rules from it that I use with Mongoose's rules.
lordmalachdrim
Stoat
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:49 pm

Re: Mongoose Traveller and T5 compatibility

Postby lordmalachdrim » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:31 pm

Don't buy it at all is my suggestion. But if you are going to give him your money then go with the PDF it adds about 100 pages to correct the errors of the book and there is suppose to be another update to finish correcting the book (although give the years it's been since the book was released I wouldn't hold my breath).
kevinknight
Stoat
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 10:41 pm

Re: Mongoose Traveller and T5 compatibility

Postby kevinknight » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:09 pm

The T5 book is interesting if for nothing else to give you an idea of MWM's vision of Traveller. Part of the reason I was surprised to hear that MD9 was impossible for vessels over 100T in MgT. Perfectly acceptable in T5...
tytalan
Stoat
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Re: Mongoose Traveller and T5 compatibility

Postby tytalan » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:38 pm

I'm finding it interesting what considered part of Traveller in one edition and completely ignored in another. Good examples would be in Megatraveller at tech 16 you had spinal mount disingreaters. At higher tech you have white globe. I also remember from the LBB that black globes was a tech 16 device and the only reason the 3I had some is they found a bunch of the in a ancient site. I'll probably get T5 just for reference and I might be converting some of Megatraveller to MGT2 we'll see.
Linwood
Weasel
Posts: 36
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:41 am

Re: Mongoose Traveller and T5 compatibility

Postby Linwood » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:32 am

I'm not sure I'd ever run a T5 campaign - I've lost my taste for highly detailed rules sets. But I agree w/ Reynard - the sophont generator is quite useful and a few of the other tools for building depth into one's own universe look handy.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2906
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: Mongoose Traveller and T5 compatibility

Postby Reynard » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:45 am

Hey, can't go wrong with chimeric player characters either.
Nathan Brazil
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Contact:

Re: Mongoose Traveller and T5 compatibility

Postby Nathan Brazil » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:27 am

tytalan wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:38 pm
I'm finding it interesting what considered part of Traveller in one edition and completely ignored in another. Good examples would be in Megatraveller at tech 16 you had spinal mount disingreaters. At higher tech you have white globe. I also remember from the LBB that black globes was a tech 16 device and the only reason the 3I had some is they found a bunch of the in a ancient site. I'll probably get T5 just for reference and I might be converting some of Megatraveller to MGT2 we'll see.
That is because of meta-story and editorial differences of who was handling the game in whatever version. While Marc Miller is the IP holder the final arbiter of canon, he himself has tweaked a few things over the years as well. But that was easy since there was only "one official" campaign paired to only one different rule system at a time. Mongoose sorta blew that away with MGT1e and all this stuff about "other campaigns" like Dredd, Stromtium and the others. Alternate technologies? Warp Drives? What is all this?

I can say is this much more. Imagine the headaches of converting 1st ed AD&D campaign modules to every other version, including 4th ed. and make them consistent with each other verion. We have an easier time with the OTU. :lol: As long as you accept that its OK to be different, your brain won't hurt. Much. :wink:
0401 X55A670-A S he+ hi++ as va ith-- vr+ ne- so+ 733
IMTU tc+ tm tn++ t4+ tg t20++ ru ge++ 3i+ c+ jt-- au- ls pi+ ta he+ hi++ as va ith-- vr+ ne- so+
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 429
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:13 am
Location: near Seattle

Re: Mongoose Traveller and T5 compatibility

Postby steve98052 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:40 pm

tytalan wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:38 pm
. . . I also remember from the LBB that black globes was a tech 16 device and the only reason the 3I had some is they found a bunch of the in a ancient site . . .
According to The Kinunir, the Imperium found lots of black globe generators in an Ancients site on Knorbes. Based on investigations of those, they produced their own reverse-engineered TL15 black globe generators.
tytalan
Stoat
Posts: 72
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:48 pm

Re: Mongoose Traveller and T5 compatibility

Postby tytalan » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:32 am

Nathan Brazil wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:27 am
tytalan wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:38 pm
I'm finding it interesting what considered part of Traveller in one edition and completely ignored in another. Good examples would be in Megatraveller at tech 16 you had spinal mount disingreaters. At higher tech you have white globe. I also remember from the LBB that black globes was a tech 16 device and the only reason the 3I had some is they found a bunch of the in a ancient site. I'll probably get T5 just for reference and I might be converting some of Megatraveller to MGT2 we'll see.
That is because of meta-story and editorial differences of who was handling the game in whatever version. While Marc Miller is the IP holder the final arbiter of canon, he himself has tweaked a few things over the years as well. But that was easy since there was only "one official" campaign paired to only one different rule system at a time. Mongoose sorta blew that away with MGT1e and all this stuff about "other campaigns" like Dredd, Stromtium and the others. Alternate technologies? Warp Drives? What is all this?

I can say is this much more. Imagine the headaches of converting 1st ed AD&D campaign modules to every other version, including 4th ed. and make them consistent with each other verion. We have an easier time with the OTU. :lol: As long as you accept that its OK to be different, your brain won't hurt. Much. :wink:
I find it interesting that you used the D&D comparison since I've played every version of D&D and while yes it would be hard to convert a 1st or 2nd edition modules to 3rd or 4th 1st edition modules were used with 2nd edition and the reverse with little problem. Also there happens to be a big movement right now to convert 1st & 2nd edition modules to 5th because there is so little problems doing so. Just like other than construction rules Megatraveller was very concent with 1st edition Traveller at lease IMHO. I also can see your point about the university of MGT2e we can only hope that the 3I book will not only clarify what tech goes in OTU as well as expand the rules and construction rules to more closely fellow the OTU.
mancerbear
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 412
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:34 am

Re: Mongoose Traveller and T5 compatibility

Postby mancerbear » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:36 am

Sorry about the delay in getting the Amindii written up for Mongoose Traveller. Been busy on another project that is nearing completion. Will have the Amindii written up completely soon.
Nathan Brazil
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 536
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:42 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Contact:

Re: Mongoose Traveller and T5 compatibility

Postby Nathan Brazil » Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:48 am

tytalan wrote:
Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:32 am
I find it interesting that you used the D&D comparison since I've played every version of D&D and while yes it would be hard to convert a 1st or 2nd edition modules to 3rd or 4th 1st edition modules were used with 2nd edition and the reverse with little problem. Also there happens to be a big movement right now to convert 1st & 2nd edition modules to 5th because there is so little problems doing so. Just like other than construction rules Megatraveller was very concent with 1st edition Traveller at lease IMHO. I also can see your point about the university of MGT2e we can only hope that the 3I book will not only clarify what tech goes in OTU as well as expand the rules and construction rules to more closely fellow the OTU.
I have played every version of D&D except for original white box. I am aware what can and cannot be converted in D&D and Traveller. I should have been more clear Some things do not easily convert RAW back and forth. Can't convert those 3e L20 Dwarf Fighters to 1e because of demihuman level caps in 1e. Or a 1e L17th Monk with quivering palm into 2e. Oops can't do that. That Warrior Priest kit in Complete Priest's Handbook was...lacking. And so on and so on

MgT and T5 have points of incongruence. If you are looking for the latest on the OTU, I suggest three things. If you are already aware of these, sorry to repeat. More power to you..
1.Pick up the T5 rulebook - It was published by Mr. Miller's company. One may assume if it in T5, it is OTU...
2.Pick up the Agent of the Imperium novel - Written by Mr. Miller, it is his vision of the OTU. Seeing as he is the IP holder.... OTOH heretics say George Lucas was wrong and Han Solo shot first. The IP holder is your friend. Do you doubt the IP holder? Only communist mutant traitors (or Zhodani) doubt the IP holder. Are you a traitor (or Zhodani)? :lol:
3.Pop over to the COTI boards. Crustier and grognardier OTU fellows converse there. I am a wild-eyed slavering heretic threatening the orthodoxy in comparison to some there. :D :D
0401 X55A670-A S he+ hi++ as va ith-- vr+ ne- so+ 733
IMTU tc+ tm tn++ t4+ tg t20++ ru ge++ 3i+ c+ jt-- au- ls pi+ ta he+ hi++ as va ith-- vr+ ne- so+

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests