How long to fire up the Quattro?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
ochd
Stoat

How long to fire up the Quattro?

Postby ochd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:45 pm

Another minor question, just for my hard-science scifi confidence...

I've ruled that it takes 1d6 minutes to start up an M drive and take off, with the potential to do it in 1d6 x 10 seconds (at -2 to the check) if need be. Does that sound reasonable? Of course, this only matters for combat or other situations where a quick getaway is crucial. I guess a TL7 or 8 reaction drive would take longer, maybe, but those would be the exception.

Also, I don't envision M drives having a "blast" effect like a reaction drive would. That is, like grav cars and so on, you could be stood next to a spacecraft or starship that is taking off and landing and not be adversely affected? Or maybe the manipulation of gravity might knock people of their feet?

Thanks,

Dan.
Jeraa
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: How long to fire up the Quattro?

Postby Jeraa » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:58 pm

ochd wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:45 pm
I've ruled that it takes 1d6 minutes to start up an M drive and take off, with the potential to do it in 1d6 x 10 seconds (at -2 to the check) if need be. Does that sound reasonable? Of course, this only matters for combat or other situations where a quick getaway is crucial. I guess a TL7 or 8 reaction drive would take longer, maybe, but those would be the exception.
The space combat chapter indicates a system can be shut down in a single round, or started up in a single round. Space combat rounds are 6 minutes long.

It could be a 2 step process, however. If the ship had been powered down, you would need to power up the power plant first before starting the engines.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:04 pm

It's been described in other editions of Traveller so I envision MgT ships to also have lifters as a subsystem of the maneuver drive. Explains why so many images of downports having VTOL landing pads and how ships maneuver into landing bays when their image shows non-wheeled landing struts. As far I've experienced, there have been no stories describing people knock down when an air/raft next to them lifts off.

Usually I see the power system powered up and ready to feed the maneuver drive at a moment's notice with no more effort than turning the ignition key in a car only bigger. Closest I could see at taking off is running a Standard Operation System Checklist before launch but even that can be ignored in emergencies.
ShawnDriscoll
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:17 pm

It's always good to have a picture of your ship taking off or landing, so players have an idea of the visual coolness that's involved with their ship. Pinterest has all the Traveller-inspired images you'd need for your game session's group.
ochd
Stoat

Postby ochd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:20 pm

Jeraa wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:58 pm
The space combat chapter indicates a system can be shut down in a single round, or started up in a single round. Space combat rounds are 6 minutes long.
Ah, cool. That's pretty clear, then.

Given that rule is in the context of space combat (where minimum time units are 6 minutes), I think it's fair enough to utilise a 1d6 minute timeframe for non-space combat situations (e.g. trying to make a quick getaway from a starport).

Dan.