Damage from auto trait

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
ochd
Stoat

Damage from auto trait

Postby ochd » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:00 pm

In our last couple of sessions, one player character who has an RAM grenade launcher (Auto 3), has fired "three grenades in a single attack" as per the weapon's description (CSC p. 125. He thinks, of course, that that means he should do 3x5D damage with a successful attack.

I have ruled that following the CRB p.75, this would constitute a Burst, and the Auto score is added to the attack -- ie, 5D+3.

As far as I can tell, that is the correct reading of the rules as written, but then it doesn't seem like two extra grenades would only add 3 points of damage?

What do others think or do in their games.

Thanks,

Dan.
AnotherDilbert
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: Damage from auto trait

Postby AnotherDilbert » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:21 pm

You are following the rules.
Burst: Add the Auto score to damage. This uses a number of rounds equal to the Auto score.
I also use this method in my game.

After some armour is deducted, the bonus for auto fire is bigger than it first appears, so it is perhaps not entirely unreasonable. Just because you fire three rounds does not mean that hit with all three rounds, but on average you get a better hit, hence more damage.

This is comparable to the "Double and Triple Turrets" rule on p158.
kustenjaeger
Stoat

Postby kustenjaeger » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:35 pm

Greetings

Firing 3 rounds for an Auto 3 weapon is certainly a Burst with the rules you indicate. If the player wants full extra attacks go for full Auto - technically uses Auto# x3 rounds (and the RAM GL (at least in the core) only has a 6 round capacity). Either allow the 3 full attacks or make them 2 full attacks in return for emptying the magazine.

Regards
Edward
ochd
Stoat

Postby ochd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:21 pm

Great, thanks for the confirmations.

I think there was some mention in another thread about rapid fire of optional combat rules being looked at in the forthcoming Traveller Companion, so will see what that brings as well.

Dan.