When to use attribute DMs when doing skill checks?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
alkibiades
Weasel

When to use attribute DMs when doing skill checks?

Postby alkibiades » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:02 pm

There are some checks, especially in vehicle and space combat, where attribute DMs are not mentioned.

Example Initiative for space combat:
2D + the pilot’s Pilot skill + the ship’s Thrust score

Am I correct with my assumption that no Dexterity DM is applied, when it is not explicitely mentioned and the vehicle/starship trait is used instead? Or would it be assumed without teling toI add the Dexterity DM in addition?

Just asking because coming from D&D I am used to add attribute modifiers to any skill check without exception.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: When to use attribute DMs when doing skill checks?

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:30 pm

Normally, Characteristic Modifiers are applied for Task Checks. If they are not mentioned in the rules for other uses, they are not used. For example, they are not used when qualifying for some things.

For me personally, I use Characteristic Modifiers for everything.
ochd
Stoat

Re: When to use attribute DMs when doing skill checks?

Postby ochd » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:06 pm

alkibiades wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:02 pm
Am I correct with my assumption that no Dexterity DM is applied, when it is not explicitely mentioned and the vehicle/starship trait is used instead?
The way I have been running my game is that for Skill checks, a characteristic DM is always applied (as per CRB, p.57). So even if the stat is not explicitly stated I would apply a characteristic DM appropriate to the situation.

However, I don't treat Initiative as Skill checks. So, in your particular example of space combat, I have just been using Pilot skill and Thrust as the DMs, no DEX DM.

Dan.