Third Imperium lore valid for New Traveller?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
alkibiades
Weasel

Third Imperium lore valid for New Traveller?

Postby alkibiades » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:07 am

I recently grabbed the free Third Imperium Campaign I: Secret of the Ancients and wonder if the lore in the book is compatible to New Traveller or will New Traveller also have some reboot of the Setting lore?
AnotherDilbert
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: Third Imperium lore valid for New Traveller?

Postby AnotherDilbert » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:24 pm

I think most people use material from many editions, so you're probably safe with MgT1 material.

The MgT reboot is just updated rules, the world is the same.

We generally refer to valid Traveller material as "canon". Most stuff from 1977 forward is canon, even if the rules have changed a bit. So you can use most things from older editions, and you can buy them from Far Future.
Jeraa
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jeraa » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:51 pm

alkibiades wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:07 am
I recently grabbed the free Third Imperium Campaign I: Secret of the Ancients and wonder if the lore in the book is compatible to New Traveller or will New Traveller also have some reboot of the Setting lore?
Lore shouldn't really change between editions, though the specific mechanics of that lore could. There may be minor changes that have no real impact.

The sole exception I can think of is with GURPS Traveller. There, the assassination of the emperor and the events that followed never happened, so there was no rebellion.
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jame Rowe » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:48 pm

alkibiades wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:07 am
It's as valid as you want it to be. Have fun with it, and use the lore you want. :)
"Are you in charge here?"
"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

Baron Damascaa Kiikiigulii/Sakhag/Antares. Deal with it - come visit!
ShawnDriscoll
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:07 pm

I much prefer the Mongoose Alien lore books, over the Classic Traveller ones. Lots of Imperium background in their histories.
steve98052
Banded Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:46 pm

There are some alternate history versions, and corrections where the lore was self-contradictory. The biggest alternate history change was in the GURPS Traveller books, where the assassination that triggered the Rebellion never happened due to the mysterious explosion of the would-be assassin's ship. In the Mongoose timeline, there is also no Rebellion, but that's because Mongoose is set at a point in history before the assassination either happens oris thwarted by that mysterious explosion.

Since you specifically mentioned Secrets of the Ancients, I note that GURPS Traveller line editor Loren Wiseman wrote that it was his attention to eventually release a new Secrets, but it didn't happen while SJ Games held its Traveller license. This year, Loren died, taking those alternate Secrets to the grave, unless his family finds notes about them on his computer or in his papers.

(Loren accepted my only paid Traveller writing. I mourned his death when it was announced.)
tytalan
Weasel

Postby tytalan » Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:51 am

From what I've seen this all depends on you. The current mongoose setting is before the rebellion but if you want to run the rebellion all you would need is a couple of Mega Traveller books as background, Rebellion source book, Hard times should do it. If you want to run TNE ts the same thing just remember the tech differences.

As I understand it both of those setting are still a part of the official time line unlike GURP's everything great and wonderful setting. Those settings were made to give you a something somewhat different to set your game in. MT was designed to give you a setting were everything was falling apart and the characters were a part of the struggle to maintain order. TNE was a combination of a post apocalyptic and exploring setting hence the virus which only came into the game in that setting. The virus was used to completely almost destroy everything were the rebellion would have left much more intact.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:43 am

I'm still waiting to see what The New New Era Imperial, 1248 IC and The Far Far Future, 1902 IC will look like.
paltrysum
Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:26 am

Well, we know they're doing the Fifth Frontier War since Matthew has announced it. After that, it's a mystery! Will there be a Rebellion? Will Virus exist? Will the New Era stuff recur? No way of knowing until it happens...or doesn't. Until then it's entirely up to you.
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
ShawnDriscoll
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:30 am

I like the canon stuff going on in Agent of the Imperium. I like the androids and alien races introduced in it. So my games have been taking place during some of the chapters in the book.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:56 am

Each edition of Traveller has their Era. Mongoose has been closest to Classic Traveller and followed by reintroducing Fifth Frontier War but I'm hoping from what we see that it will be more in depth. There should be plenty of material for years. Rebellion and Virus would be far future and were extensively covered in their time that you have plenty of material to recreate on your own.
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:07 pm

paltrysum wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:26 am
Well, we know they're doing the Fifth Frontier War since Matthew has announced it. After that, it's a mystery!
Bit of a mystery to us as well :)

The Fifth Frontier War may end up consuming three (three!) giant slipcases, totalling somewhere between 1500-1800 pages, plus a veritable gaggle of support materials.

That is a lot of work, perhaps as much as three years' worth.

After that? Venturing along the time line might be a funky idea, but I cannot help but think we would all be better off if we focussed on exploring space rather than time. Our current Great Rift Kickstarter seems to indicate that there is interest in venturing into new areas of the Third Imperium universe. As well as the Great Rift, there are the inner working of the Consulate and Hierate, the Core and Rim expeditions, we have never really approached the Solomani properly, and have not even touched the likes of the Hivers and K'Kree - and all of this would have the advantage that it would be directly compatible with existing materials.

In a nutshell, there may be enough in the current timeline to occupy someone for the rest of their life...

Off the top of my head, approaching something like the New Era or Rebellion in the same way as we are with Drinax and the FFW might be a solid idea, but it would never have the sheer support of the Third Imperium, and so would be more of a 'window' into those eras rather than a full blown setting.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
paltrysum
Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:36 pm

msprange wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:07 pm
Venturing along the time line might be a funky idea, but I cannot help but think we would all be better off if we focussed on exploring space rather than time. Our current Great Rift Kickstarter seems to indicate that there is interest in venturing into new areas of the Third Imperium universe. As well as the Great Rift, there are the inner working of the Consulate and Hierate, the Core and Rim expeditions, we have never really approached the Solomani properly, and have not even touched the likes of the Hivers and K'Kree - and all of this would have the advantage that it would be directly compatible with existing materials.
I like the sound of that, actually. Some of the MegaTraveller and TNE storyline went a little off the rails, IMHO. I wouldn't fault Mongoose for revisiting it or any Traveller referee from incorporating whatever she or he wants, but the idea of richly developing the various regions and races first suits me just fine. I also like to see greater development of astrophysical anomalies and scientific curiosities in products like "Anomalies and Wonders," "Garden Worlds," and of course, the upcoming "Great Rift" set.

As much as I loved CT and MT, it sometimes seemed that the designers' wargaming backgrounds bled into the setting a bit too much. It sometimes felt that a Napoleonic wargame was being imposed upon an RPG setting. This is a chance to pay obeisance to the creators of the game but also inspire players to incorporate some new elements. Science fiction has changed a great deal since the 60's and 70's and so should our beloved game.
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:28 am

Interesting. I wonder what constitutes how to do Traveller based on the 1980s through the 2010s? Oh wait, that was MegaTraveller, TNE, T20, GURPS, T4, Mgt and T5. ;)
tytalan
Weasel

Postby tytalan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:55 pm

I love Megatraveller I thought it was well done and a great setting for the game. TNE was okay but the virus was way to wonky for my taste. Some people think it was first done in Megatraveller but I have all the books and it is not mentioned even once. The virus was a TNE effect to explain the level of destruction and give the setting a boggy man.
steve98052
Banded Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:27 pm

msprange wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:07 pm
. . . Venturing along the time line might be a funky idea, but I cannot help but think we would all be better off if we focussed on exploring space rather than time. Our current Great Rift Kickstarter seems to indicate that there is interest in venturing into new areas of the Third Imperium universe.
I like the idea of covering new territory too.
As well as the Great Rift, there are the inner working of the Consulate and Hierate, the Core and Rim expeditions, we have never really approached the Solomani properly, and have not even touched the likes of the Hivers and K'Kree - and all of this would have the advantage that it would be directly compatible with existing materials.
. . .
I don't see much enthusiasm for the K'kree, but I am a big fan of the Hivers. Their cultural fondness for "Manipulations" and their curiosity about why they're one of the few life forms where psionics are unknown are both material for adventures. Hiver territory is a long way from well covered parts of charted space, but I can imagine a small Hiver enclave attempting Manipulations on Aslan.
GamingGlen
Mongoose

Postby GamingGlen » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:38 pm

steve98052 wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:27 pm
... I can imagine a small Hiver enclave attempting Manipulations on Aslan.
Would that be the equivalent of herding cats? :D
Glen
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:00 pm

I have forever dreamed the K'kree finally decide they just can't have so many meat eaters free in the galaxy.
Sigtrygg
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Sigtrygg » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:20 pm

Lords of Thunder...
A K'kree fraction that decides now (later Rebellion era) is the time to take up the crusade to eradicate the meat eaters
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:27 pm

Hmmm, alternate timeline. Rebellion happens weakening the Imperium that the K'kree decide it'd time. Virus never starts but that doesn't mean imperial citizens get off easy as worlds are cleansed.