Uncertain Tasks

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
DanDare2050
Stoat

Re: Uncertain Tasks

Postby DanDare2050 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:17 am

In a recent game the players were caught in a smuggling op by competitors. When they tried to make a run for the 100 radius jump point they took a hit that damaged the jump drive. With the enemy closing in Captain Harris, both pilot and chief engineer, did a hasty diagnostic of the damage.

The truth was that the jump drive was operational and wasn't going to misjump due to any system failure.

He needed 8+ to know the truth. He had +2 but I gave him a bane dice for the speed of the diagnosis.

He rolled two dice, a 4 and a 6.
I secretly rolled a 4.
I told him the jump drive looks fine.

From his point of view if I had rolled a 1 that would be 4+1=5 with his +2 would be a 7, a failure. However a 2 or more on my side and it would be correct, so he decided that his diagnosis was good and went for the jump.
DanDare2050
Stoat

Postby DanDare2050 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:24 am

All in all its a very casual mechanic. No rules change. No changes to the odds. Its easy to GM. The players get it. There is no special way of describing the situation it just plays out naturally.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:10 am

Still not sure what kind of roll the Referee is making, or how it connects at all with the player's roll. Maybe the home-brewed rules assume players have Traveller 2300.
kustenjaeger
Stoat

Postby kustenjaeger » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:32 am

In the example, I think the GM is rolling the bane dice in secret, so is hiding part of the roll in the options presented earlier in the thread.

In MegaTraveller uncertain tasks had both player and GM rolling the task.

Edward
Edward
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:12 am

kustenjaeger wrote:
Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:32 am
In the example, I think the GM is rolling the bane dice in secret, so is hiding part of the roll in the options presented earlier in the thread.

In MegaTraveller uncertain tasks had both player and GM rolling the task.

Edward
I think I have MegaTraveller still. Will take a look at their rule. Thanks!

ADDED:
I remember now. MegaTraveller had Referees doing secret failure rolls that were never explained in the rules. At least in my copy. That's why Gareth cleaned up the rules when writing Mongoose Traveller.