some thoughts about High Guard 2.0

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
GamingGlen
Mongoose

some thoughts about High Guard 2.0

Postby GamingGlen » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:26 pm

Finally nearing the completion of my own spreadsheet for ship designing using High Guard 2.0, I continually scratch my head as to why some things are the way they are.

Common Areas: Cr 100,000 / ton. Yet the "Gaming Space", which is pretty much covered under the definition of Common Areas, only cost Cr 6000 / ton. Now, if it is meant that "Gaming Space" is a room for 50th century nerds to gather around a table to play the game "Dimensioner", that would be a bit pretentious by the writers of HG2, no? :D
Is the cost of Common Areas reasonable? Seems excessive to me. Now, maybe there should be two types of Common Areas: Simple and Luxurious (poor folks or cargo freighters with token passenger rooms, and for the crusty upper class or dedicated passenger liner type of ships).

Sensor Stations: I noticed only the 500,000 ton Tigress-class has any, and only 5. That does not follow the guideline of 1 per 1000 tons, which does seem excessive. Perhaps there should be a sliding scale? Would not the larger bridges include a few sensor stations within the bridge tonnage?

Holographic Controls, opinion: if the Bridge has them, would not the Command Bridge as well? I put only one click button in my spreadsheet, either all Holo or none.

Medical Bay: "Bay"? First thing that popped into my head was weapon bay. Yeah, yeah, probably taken from the word "sickbay". Why not use the word "Ward"? I did.

Oh, and about the Gionetti light cruiser, I find that with the jump fuel added in it still comes up with 25 tons of space to spare.
Glen
AnotherDilbert
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: some thoughts about High Guard 2.0

Postby AnotherDilbert » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:32 am

GamingGlen wrote: Common Areas: Cr 100,000 / ton. Yet the "Gaming Space", which is pretty much covered under the definition of Common Areas, only cost Cr 6000 / ton. Now, if it is meant that "Gaming Space" is a room for 50th century nerds to gather around a table to play the game "Dimensioner", that would be a bit pretentious by the writers of HG2, no? :D
Is the cost of Common Areas reasonable? Seems excessive to me. Now, maybe there should be two types of Common Areas: Simple and Luxurious (poor folks or cargo freighters with token passenger rooms, and for the crusty upper class or dedicated passenger liner type of ships).
Common Areas costs roughly as much as staterooms (kCr 500 / 4 = kCr 125 / Dt).
Gaming Space is just an empty room, whether for tennis, billiards, or rpgs.
GamingGlen wrote: Sensor Stations: I noticed only the 500,000 ton Tigress-class has any, and only 5. That does not follow the guideline of 1 per 1000 tons, which does seem excessive. Perhaps there should be a sliding scale? Would not the larger bridges include a few sensor stations within the bridge tonnage?
I assume it is extra sensor stations, the first few are on the bridge.
The sensor station appeared after it was pointed out that all the sensor operators called for could not fit on the bridge.
Presumably the sensor operators work in shift on the bigger ships, so that we always have rested operators and optimum sensor coverage?
GamingGlen
Mongoose

Re: some thoughts about High Guard 2.0

Postby GamingGlen » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:35 pm

AnotherDilbert wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:32 am
I assume it is extra sensor stations, the first few are on the bridge.
The sensor station appeared after it was pointed out that all the sensor operators called for could not fit on the bridge.
Presumably the sensor operators work in shift on the bigger ships, so that we always have rested operators and optimum sensor coverage?
It says stations, not operators. A military type of ship probably has 2 or 3 operators per station, a commercial vessel probably has 1 or 2 per station?
How many sensor stations are on the various sized Bridges? On an 80 ton Command Bridge?
How many sensor stations are on real naval warships? (about the only thing we have as a guide)
Glen