When to roll for psionics?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
alkibiades
Shrew
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:49 am

When to roll for psionics?

Postby alkibiades » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:14 pm

The starter set does not tell exactly, when to roll for psionics. Is this always done after the last term or somewhere in between? And do I understand it correctly that the points are deducted from this psionic attribute and thus the attribute DM declines after every use?
Jeraa
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:01 pm

Re: When to roll for psionics?

Postby Jeraa » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:26 pm

alkibiades wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:14 pm
The starter set does not tell exactly, when to roll for psionics. Is this always done after the last term or somewhere in between? And do I understand it correctly that the points are deducted from this psionic attribute and thus the attribute DM declines after every use?
Finding your psionic potential (that is, rolling the dice) requires testing. When that testing is done (if even possible) depends on finding a teacher to do so. There is no set time. It is better to do it as soon as possible because without proper training, your psionic potential drops with time.

However, there may be issues. In the Third Imperium, psionics are banned. Merely finding someone to do the testing can involve a lengthy adventure. On the other hand, the Zhodani would have psionic testing as routine (all children get the testing done). Finding someone to do the testing and training wouldn't be hard.

Basically, when the testing is done is entirely setting dependent, and can even vary between societies within a given setting.

As for your second question:
Using a psionic talent costs a number of PSI points, temporarily reducing the Traveller’s total. As the characteristic DM for all psionic skill checks is determined by the Travellers’ current PSI total, it gets harder and harder to use powers as the Traveller’s PSI declines.
Yes. As you use psionic powers, your characteristic DM drops.
alkibiades
Shrew
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:49 am

Re: When to roll for psionics?

Postby alkibiades » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:42 pm

Thanks for the info.

So it is basically dependend if I create a third imperium human or a psion friendly realm character? If I want to play a third imperium psion, I couldn't just get tested before or after university or military academy. I'd have to wait after serving my last term and get tested then? Or would I be free to say, my third imperium human somehow had the chance getting tested during university time, rolling for psi after graduation but before starting the first term? Or would that be against the canon?
Jeraa
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:01 pm

Re: When to roll for psionics?

Postby Jeraa » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:55 pm

alkibiades wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:42 pm
Thanks for the info.

So it is basically dependend if I create a third imperium human or a psion friendly realm character? If I want to play a third imperium psion, I couldn't just get tested before or after university or military academy. I'd have to wait after serving my last term and get tested then? Or would I be free to say, my third imperium human somehow had the chance getting tested during university time, rolling for psi after graduation but before starting the first term? Or would that be against the canon?
When you can get tested is entirely up to the GM (mostly, see my edit below). You can test for psionics during character creation, but only if the GM agrees.
Psionics are powered by the Psionic Strength (PSI) characteristic. This characteristic cannot be rolled during Traveller creation without the referee’s permission, and even then it is quite rare. To determine a Traveller’s PSI, roll 2D and subtract the number of terms served by the Traveller in all careers thus far (PSI diminishes over time unless actively used). For example, a 38 year old Traveller (five terms served) would roll 2D-5 to determine his PSI. A Traveller with a PSI of 0 has no potential for psionic powers.
Having the possibility of psionics is basically entirely up to the GM. IT is possible, with permission, to receive testing and training during character creation. That is why a psionic career exists. While the roll to determine potential is random, it is entirely up to the GM to determine if that roll can be made and when.

EDIT: It is possible for all characters to randomly come across a psionic institute and receive testing and possible training. When rolling for the event that happens during a specific term, the career event table can direct you to the Life Event table, which has the possibility of encountering a psionic institute. It would be rare, however. You would need to roll a 7 on the 2D Career Event roll, then a 12 of the 2D Life Event roll, then a 1 on the 1D to determine what unusual event it is. So chances of randomly encountering a possibility of testing/training would be rare (Something like a 0.077% chance on any single term if I calculated properly).
Last edited by Jeraa on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alkibiades
Shrew
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:49 am

Re: When to roll for psionics?

Postby alkibiades » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:10 pm

I love that kind of freedom in the char creating process, thank you very much.
Jeraa
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:01 pm

Re: When to roll for psionics?

Postby Jeraa » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:15 pm

alkibiades wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:10 pm
I love that kind of freedom in the char creating process, thank you very much.
Please note I added something to my previous post as you were replying. It is, in fact, not entirely up to the GM to determine when/if testing and training is possible. There is a rare chance to randomly encounter a psionic institute and receive testing/training during character creation.
alkibiades
Shrew
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:49 am

Re: When to roll for psionics?

Postby alkibiades » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:14 am

Jeraa wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:55 pm
EDIT: It is possible for all characters to randomly come across a psionic institute and receive testing and possible training. When rolling for the event that happens during a specific term, the career event table can direct you to the Life Event table, which has the possibility of encountering a psionic institute. It would be rare, however. You would need to roll a 7 on the 2D Career Event roll, then a 12 of the 2D Life Event roll, then a 1 on the 1D to determine what unusual event it is. So chances of randomly encountering a possibility of testing/training would be rare (Something like a 0.077% chance on any single term if I calculated properly).
Good to know, thanks. Is this also valid for Zhodani characters, or is there still the difference that they get already tested in young age?
Jeraa
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:01 pm

Re: When to roll for psionics?

Postby Jeraa » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:17 pm

alkibiades wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:14 am
Jeraa wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:55 pm
EDIT: It is possible for all characters to randomly come across a psionic institute and receive testing and possible training. When rolling for the event that happens during a specific term, the career event table can direct you to the Life Event table, which has the possibility of encountering a psionic institute. It would be rare, however. You would need to roll a 7 on the 2D Career Event roll, then a 12 of the 2D Life Event roll, then a 1 on the 1D to determine what unusual event it is. So chances of randomly encountering a possibility of testing/training would be rare (Something like a 0.077% chance on any single term if I calculated properly).
Good to know, thanks. Is this also valid for Zhodani characters, or is there still the difference that they get already tested in young age?
The rules in the core rulebook are intended to be generic, but are generally fine for Imperial characters. Characters of other races should use the rules in their respective alien Module (if one exists). All Zhodani get tested (though only those with a psionic rating of 9 or higher receive automatic training). Having psionics or not has a large impact on the life of a Zhodani.

No alien module exists yet for 2e, but the ones from 1e should still work fine. There, Zhodani have a different set of careers than those in the core rulebook (well, many of the same careers appear, but have been somewhat changed). The Zhodani don't have the same random chance to encounter a psionic institute, but instead have a chance to increase their psionic rating and possible their social caste.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests