Terraforming Cordillon

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
paltrysum
Mongoose

Terraforming Cordillon

Postby paltrysum » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:42 pm

One of the canonical Sindal Subsector subplots is the terraforming and colonization of Cordillon with colonists from the overpopulated world of Albe. I have never incorporated terraforming in anything but the most "hand wavy" terms in Traveller, and I'd like to do something more in-depth with this system. The implication is that colonists will be emigrating sooner rather than later, so I don't envision them doing a few centuries of preparation (e.g. tossing captured comets at the planet and waiting a hundred years for things to settle).

Here are Cordillon's stats: C431210-C Po Ni Lo Ht. It has a K1 V star, so it's main sequence, a bit less luminous than Sol. The planet is fairly similar to Mars in some ways, starting with its size. It has more atmosphere to work with and a small hydrographic percentage. What would you imagine the first terraforming steps to be in this environment?
  • Detoxification of the soil?
  • Importing nitrogen (or other gases) in liquid form to enhance the planet's habitability?
  • Geological exploration for hidden aquifers?
  • Excavation of natural gases?
I have a few sci-fi novels in mind for inspiration (Red Mars, Seveneves) but would like to get some ideas from our little community as well. What are the first things one might do to start terraforming this rather inhospitable world? I would imagine these would be the first industries colonists would be engaged in. Got to keep them busy doing something to manufacture their own little paradise.
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
PsiTraveller
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Terraforming Cordillon

Postby PsiTraveller » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:11 am

Depends on your tech level. Tl 10 Drones designed for fuel refinery work could skim the gas giants for raw material. Converting the material to hydrogen gets your halfway to water. Other drones for asteroid mining could haul in ice and other raw materials.

A source of oxygen combined with the hydrogen from the fuel refineries gives more water to increase the water content of the planet.

there are several other planets in the system, as well as possible moons that could provide a Europan amount of water. Drones could be shuttling it to Cordillon every day.

Pop over to Browne to get advance arcology design and water reclamation tech for the still dry planet. It could help a lot.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:58 am

I've only used terraforming as a very high tech thing. Part of a planet's background story is all. The characters don't even think about what the planet may have used to be, because ancient history and all. The story behind the terraforming may come into play, but only for plot purposes.

If a place is being terraformed while the characters are nearby, it's treated just as a on-going shipping/receiving operation that no one will see any change in during their tour there. Again, just background story of what's going on, while characters are doing other things.
PsiTraveller
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby PsiTraveller » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:13 pm

well it could be an adventure to go out and find an ice ball and arc it carefully into the atmosphere to add more water to the planet. Or stop the malfunctioning drone that is bringing in the ice chunk in a flat trajectory, aimed at the capital city. etc. :)
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:28 am

I have used the UWP as my terraforming base.

Each 100 years times the world SIZE divided by TL move the ATM, HYD, or TEMP by one unit (up or down Designers choice). At TL10, it takes several centuries to terraform a moderate world. Cost is 1 TRILLION credits per World SIZE point. The bigger the world, the harder it is to terraform...

All the details about adding nitrogen, etc. are part of the UWP move.

One thing of note - worlds want to return to their original condition, so it takes MONEY and equipment (investment) to maintain a world at some new UWP. Think weather satellites, the occasional icy asteroid impact to keep the HYD level up, or even massive atmosphere converters that have to keep running. After a few thousand years, the world will likely be able to balance itself in the new UWP configuration.

It makes it expensive and a long-term project, but in certain situations it might be worth it. In most Traveller settings, by TL12 or so, they don't bother to terraform since so many other habitable worlds are available. SO, you might have a cluster of previously terraformed worlds around a race's homeworld, but farther away, not so much.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
h1ro
Banded Mongoose

Postby h1ro » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:48 pm

Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:28 am

Each 100 years times the world SIZE divided by TL move the ATM, HYD, or TEMP by one unit (up or down Designers choice). At TL10, it takes several centuries to terraform a moderate world. Cost is 1 TRILLION credits per World SIZE point. The bigger the world, the harder it is to terraform...

One thing of note - worlds want to return to their original condition, so it takes MONEY and equipment (investment) to maintain a world at some new UWP. Think weather satellites, the occasional icy asteroid impact to keep the HYD level up, or even massive atmosphere converters that have to keep running. After a few thousand years, the world will likely be able to balance itself in the new UWP configuration.

It makes it expensive and a long-term project, but in certain situations it might be worth it. In most Traveller settings, by TL12 or so, they don't bother to terraform since so many other habitable worlds are available. SO, you might have a cluster of previously terraformed worlds around a race's homeworld, but farther away, not so much.
Are you using prerequisites for candidate planets? For example, does a planet need to be in the habitable zone?
paltrysum
Mongoose

Postby paltrysum » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:38 pm

PsiTraveller wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:11 am
Pop over to Browne to get advance arcology design and water reclamation tech for the still dry planet. It could help a lot.
Great idea! I would love the chance to get the campaign to go into the rift. Now if I can just time it to when the Great Rift package from the Kickstarter becomes available.
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:56 am

h1ro wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:48 pm
Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:
Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:28 am

Are you using prerequisites for candidate planets? For example, does a planet need to be in the habitable zone?
Not too much is needed, since a Terraformer can change temperature as well. It is easier/cheaper to start with a world in the habitable zone (COLD, TEMPERATE, or HOT), but could be done on just about any world.

In one of my settings, Venus and Mars were Terraformed in the solar system.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.