Tech levels and their effects on stellar war

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Re: Tech levels and their effects on stellar war

Postby Condottiere » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:15 am

The Imperium Navy could have mobile workshops and docks in their fleet train.

Major naval bases should also have the facilities to repair their ships.
PsiTraveller
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby PsiTraveller » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:53 pm

I always assume a starport is TL 12 or greater, with access to higher tech levels as needed, since they offer tech repair to ships passing through.

The starports may not have the production capacity to manufacture all the items needed to build a starship, but can do repairs and maintenance on ships passing through.

The logistical needs of the Navy can be met with (cough blatant plug cough) the Logistical Production Unit available at Drivethru. :)

A Starport could (according to the rules) have drone supplied asteroid mining, smelting and production modules to produce things of any tech level you want. You just need a source of raw materials. An asteroid belt or mining operations on planets, planetoids or moons. Anything you can want could be produced. You just have to then figure out the impact of that on local trade routes.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:32 pm

Looking over the various sources with the most recent (Mongoose and T5) information concerning Traveller starports. All gloves are off for non-3I universes. The 3I universe with starports on lower TL worlds along with the concept of Empires having control over system space and a system's space facilities are the issue. It does seem 3I starports belong to the controlling empire and it is extraterritoriality following the rules of that empire. That means it is the technology and resources of that empire. The planet might look and behave like a RenFaire dealing with chamber pots and a forge for high tech but crossing the front gate takes you into the TL of the Imperium, Consulate or Hierate featuring toilets and mini-manufacturing system. What a system can do is invest local currency and resources toward their port facility for a return in dividends and trade without actually being 'uplifted' by its presence.

What scares me is there are D class 'starports' that are TL 15 being manned by Larry the Imperial Port Authority Guy.

On a similar note from other threads is starport facilities supporting Imperial and subsector naval (astral?) elements. The Core Book has a description for the naval base which only can exist with A or B ports. The description shows these particular ports are specifically meant to handle the needs of military ships for construction, repair and supply while other ports would be overwhelmed with the additional load. Normal starport can be hosts for ports of call and probably minor repair needs but the fleet needs the systems catering to them. In emergency situations a non-naval starport could be conscripted for SOME repair work or maybe some construction needs but the vast majority of naval needs are at systems designated with the naval base. It seems a reasonable limitation to the game.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:06 am

You can patch up most hulls, and you can probably substitute inferior electronics.

It's the big ticket items, basically engineering, that you'll encounter bottlenecks, and spinal mounts.
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:42 pm

Reynard wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:32 pm
. . .
What scares me is there are D class 'starports' that are TL 15 being manned by Larry the Imperial Port Authority Guy.
. . .
This reminds me of an article I worked on (but didn't finish) for the former JTAS. I imagined the E starport of a high law, low technology world (where weapon technology beyond black powder was forbidden) as a landing slab, an office consisting of a modular cutter instant starport resting on a rough stone foundation, a few taverns and hotels, and a ditch with a double fence and bronze cannons to discourage unapproved crossings. The office staff is a woman knighted for some meritorious service to the Imperium, who is now the face of the Imperium, back on her homeworld.

If I resume work on the article and manage to finish it, I'll dedicate it to the late Hans Rancke Madsen, who made the description of the world in one of his Traveller books consistent with my draft article.
AnotherDilbert
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:15 am

It seems to be not entirely trivial to repair even todays low-tech ships:
http://www.defensenews.com/articles/nav ... -continues

Basically it seems that a simple hole in the hull requires the ship to be carried on a larger vessel to a major shipyard...
baithammer
Banded Mongoose

Postby baithammer » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:35 am

To be fair, the damage under the waterline was rather extensive.
AnotherDilbert
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:47 am

baithammer wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:35 am
To be fair, the damage under the waterline was rather extensive.
Agreed, but it is not exactly battle damage.

If a few ship-killers hit, there would be less structural damage but more destroyed systems?