Poll: Your preferred sector(s)

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings

If you run OTU campaigns, which sectors do you prefer? (Choose up to three)

Poll ended at Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:49 pm

Spinward Marches
37%
Trojan Reach
28%
Deneb
5%
Solomani Rim
5%
Gateway
2%
Dark Nebula
2%
Reaver's Deep
5%
Old Expanses
2%
Core
No votes
Other (describe in comments)
14%

Total votes: 43
paltrysum
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Poll: Your preferred sector(s)

Postby paltrysum » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:49 pm

The answers might not be as obvious as we expect. After responding, please discuss.
"Spacers lead a sedentary life. They live at home, and their home is always with them—their starship, and so is their country—the depths of space."
dragoner
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: Poll: Your preferred sector(s)

Postby dragoner » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:54 pm

My own that I have populated: http://dragonersdomain.com/forum/viewto ... f=33&t=102

Adventure on the edge of Charted Space!

It is the year 1323 Imperial, the Golden Age lies two hundred years in the past, two hundred years as well since the first wave of colonists; refugees from the shattered Imperium, began to settle in the Spinward Hinters
(http://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Spinward_Hinters) and beyond The Frontier. From the time of the rebellion to the coming of the virus, other waves of colonist have come, the Solomani fleeing the doom that came to all charted space, and the Zhodani fleeing their Consulate sundered upon the Empress Wave and the assault of The Black Ships. The same Black Ships on the horizon, now menacing the New Frontier…

Download link, warning, big zip file: http://dragonersdomain.com/forum/downlo ... php?id=755
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:00 pm

I have no preference. It's all good. I don't make my own sectors. Just adventure in what's out there, starting at where my character is born. Then go from there.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:15 pm

I'm a bit biased because I was in two online campaigns featuring the Trojan Reaches. It's now familiar territory.
h1ro
Banded Mongoose

Postby h1ro » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:41 am

All my Traveller games dating back to the 80s have been in the Spinward Marches and more recently (last 4 years) the Trojan Reaches.

I figure when playing Traveller best play in the setting it was developed with so I stick with the SM and TR.

That said, should I play another Traveller game, I am strongly inclined to move to the Clement Sector.
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:14 am

h1ro wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:41 am
should I play another Traveller game, I am strongly inclined to move to the Clement Sector.
Huh? How's anyone to know what you should play? That's for you to decide.
h1ro
Banded Mongoose

Postby h1ro » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:50 pm

ShawnDriscoll wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:14 am
h1ro wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:41 am
should I play another Traveller game, I am strongly inclined to move to the Clement Sector.
Huh? How's anyone to know what you should play? That's for you to decide.
There's no question mark, it wasn't a question. If it were, it wouldn't be aimed at the board.
mancerbear
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby mancerbear » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:20 pm

I prefer to run in the Spinward Marches, where most of the published material has been set. I have always wanted to run a Solomani campaign set in the Solomani Rim with Solomani characters, but that hasn't happened yet.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:29 pm

The Worlds of Greyhawk may have been overtrampled by now, but seem the most canonical setting.
Nathan Brazil
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Nathan Brazil » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:13 am

My other vote is for The Beyond Sector.

For its time and purely on the contents of that volume alone, it was far more imaginative and inspiring than Spinward Marches was. When it came out in 1981, not too many sectors had been detailed at that time. Solomani Rim, my favorite sector, had not even come out yet. Back then the choices were The Beyond, Spinward Marches, Theta Borealis or Vanguard Reaches. Far Frontiers had no sector book, Theta Borealis had no detail. Spinward and Vanguard were not as interesting. and The Beyond was right in the middle.
Yes, it was a bit tongue in cheek, it had many old sci-fi references. But as 16 year old that was very cool as I was reading them all at the time. And Ringworld was my favorite novel at the time, so who wouldn't want to see one in their game.

In the time since then the OTU has jelled into a more detailed universe with the Marches as the "center", which is ok ( I would have preferred the Rim to be the center). But back then when things were less so...
0401 X55A670-A S he+ hi++ as va ith-- vr+ ne- so+ 733
IMTU tc+ tm tn++ t4+ tg t20++ ru ge++ 3i+ c+ jt-- au- ls pi+ ta he+ hi++ as va ith-- vr+ ne- so+
The Pakkrat
Cub

Postby The Pakkrat » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:11 am

Beginning 2015, I ran a 1.5 year long Mongoose 1E campaign in the Spinward Marches, I tainted it with Vargr from Gvurrdon Sector. The two versions of the latter that I discovered, one being Mongoose, I find there is much story to be seen from the Vargr Extents. Like the Marches, Gvurrdon is the meeting point between the Imperium Humans, Client State Humans, Zhodani, Imperial Vargr (the Aekhu ethnicity), and the Extents Vargr (Gvegh and Logaksu to Trailing ethnicities).

I find that the years of 1105 through 1201 are tumultuous, frontier, and wracked with rapid changes at times that challenge the players, their characters and give plenty of ammunition to the Referee.

Were I to run another campaign of Traveller, I would choose Gvurrdon as a base and then introduce elements from the Zhodani Consulate, the Third Imperium and the myriad polities of the Vargr Extents. I would like to see a less sanitary version of the Sector be presented in more gritty light. Space can be ugly and the meeting of the various sophonts there is no less story-worthy than the Spinward Marches.
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jame Rowe » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:48 pm

I like the Marches, Trojan Reaches, Gateway and the homebrew ones.
"Are you in charge here?"
"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

Baron Damascaa Kiikiigulii/Sakhag/Antares. Deal with it - come visit!
Gardensnake01
Weasel

Postby Gardensnake01 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:10 am

Mine doesn't really count as Traveller anymore due to liscensing but has it's roots in Traveller. My preferred Sector is Clement Sector by Gypsy Knights Games but due to the 2nd edition rules can't be called Traveller. It really is a shame too because it's a really great setting that I believe both party's could have benefitted from sharing. Oh Well, it's still my Sector of choice regardless of it's label.

William
steelbrok
Banded Mongoose

Postby steelbrok » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:21 pm

I've returned to the Spinward Marches but I limit the game to Glisten (the subsector) and District 268. Between them there are enough worlds and variety for a long campaign. Every government type comes up.

Added to this I change the government codes to be:

0 Anarchy
1 Corporate
2 Vargr
3 Hiver
4 Solomani
5 Geonee
6 Aslan
7 Balkanised
8 Vilani
9 Direct Imperial Rule
A Zhodani
B Ithklur
C Luriani
D K'kree

Amber Zones mean a chirper presence and Red mean Droyne
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:19 am

The Vargr will always repeat any form of governance, after they’ve exhausted all the alternatives.
steve98052
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:40 pm

steelbrok wrote:
Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:21 pm
. . .
Added to this I change the government codes to be:
. . .
Different dominant races don't necessarily mean different types of government (though some have pretty much the same types through racial psychology, notably K'kree). If you're going to use codes for races, you could add a field rather than changing the meaning of an existing field.