Pre-Order the Traveller Starter Box Set

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
msprange
Site Admin

Pre-Order the Traveller Starter Box Set

Postby msprange » Wed May 31, 2017 1:31 pm

We are now taking pre-orders for the Traveller Starter Set, which is currently at print and expected to arrive at our warehouse around August. You can reserve your very own copy right here: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/ ... r-set.html

Travellers in the US can pre-order in Dollars here: http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/us/rp ... r-set.html

Valeria One to Valeria Two, increase thrust…
Nail Beowulf before he leaves the gravity well and jumps…
Good shot! Target’s main drive is hit, acceleration has ceased…
Prepare boarding party. Tell them to watch out for any heroes…
Matching velocity and rotation. This is going to be a good payday…

…Commence boarding…

Traveller is a science fiction roleplaying game of bold explorers and brave adventurers. The Traveller Core Rulebook contains everything you need to create one of these adventurers and begin exploring the galaxy.

Spaceports, ancient civilisations, air/rafts, cold steel blades, laser carbines, far distant worlds, and exotic alien beasts – this is the futuristic universe of Traveller, the original and classic science fiction roleplaying game.

Come visit the future.

The Traveller Starter Set contains:

Book 1: Characters and Combat
Book 2: Worlds and Spacecraft
Book 3: The Fall of Tinath
Giant blank Sector Maps
6 Pre-generated Character Cards

Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Sigtrygg
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: Pre-Order the Traveller Starter Box Set

Postby Sigtrygg » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:52 am

Is there a discount for those of us who already bought the pdf version from drivethru?

Or are you no longer going to give away a free copy of the pdf to everyone who buys the box?
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:04 pm

That is a toughie - we will always give a free PDF to those who order direct from us, but we cannot give a discount on the physical box set, I am afraid...

Thinking this through...

The way round it would be to put the physical books up for pre-order at the same time the PDFs appear. The reason wee have not done that so far is that we have a three (sometimes nearer four) month lead time to print and ship colour books - which we thought was a bit long to have for a pre-order.

What would you chaps think about that?
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
mancerbear
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby mancerbear » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:22 pm

I'm happy to wait the 3 to 4 months on the pre-order to get the PDF free from Mongoose.

Speaking of which, I'll pre-order this on payday.
Narl
Shrew

Postby Narl » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:58 am

Any chance it will be available at Gen Con?
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:41 am

Hopefully! Still waiting for a final date from the printers.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:05 am

I have preordered it, although I'm unsure about the late pdf release thing. Generally, I think the pdf should come out the same time as the preorder - at least it would avoid confusion.
Outtasight!
crazy_cat
Mongoose

Postby crazy_cat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:15 pm

If I pre-order now do I get the PDF now, or do I have to wait to get the PDF at the same time as the hard copy?
"You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die"
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:38 pm

crazy_cat wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:15 pm
If I pre-order now do I get the PDF now, or do I have to wait to get the PDF at the same time as the hard copy?
Straight away - just drop me a line at msprange@mongoosepublishing.com and we'll sort you out!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
nats
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby nats » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:21 pm

Not at that price - £50! That's very expensive especially when you consider the D&D Starter set is around £15 for similar content, and the Pathfinder Beginners Box is £32 with card tokens, dice set, adventures, rules and a re-usable map sheet. The Traveller Starter Set is really not going to get anyone new into the game by allowing them to take a punt at it for the price of a typical night's beer money. Pointless at that price - one wonders who this set is aimed at? I thought it was going to be around £15. I mean not including black and red dice or even a stylised Traveller pen/pencil/notepaper for that price is ridiculous.

Honestly that is about it with Traveller RPG for me. I have been getting into modern card games and miniature games like X Wing and SW Destiny more anyway, and they are actually cheaper and more rewarding that buying a load of rpg books that have mistakes all over them. I loved the Classic Traveller but I think its dead now with the latest releases for me. I havent seen anything decent come out since the the Mongoose Traveller V1 Core Rulebook and the most recent version has actually gone backwards to quite a degree. Very poor.

D&D is still a good product shame I am not that keen on magical RPGs, but Traveller which was always my first love has really hit bottom now. I've had enough. I am out of here. I may keep playing using v1 we will see but I am not buying any new stuff and might well sell my new v2 books. I dont like them at all.
6A6AB9, Citizen(Corporate), 8th Term, Rank 3, Cr Enough
Trade(Architecture)3, Art(3d Illustration)2, Computers2, Admin2, Leader1, Drive(Wheeled)1, Advocate1, Art(Painting)1, Flyer0
Comm(TL7), Computer(TL8), Binoculars(TL6), Tent(TL7), Ground Car(TL7)
Hopeless
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hopeless » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:16 pm

I do admit wondering what they were thinking when they started saying they were pimping this out!
I assumed they'd make the three books of lbb in size so the box would be smaller with a map folded up inside similar to the earlier box sets for Traveller.
Have yet to read, listen or watch a review of this and will wait for it to be released and reviewed properly before deciding whether it's worth picking up!