A more challenging fleet?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

A more challenging fleet?

Postby JMISBEST » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:26 am

A friend of mines players have been using rules of mine for genetically modified fanatically loyal, highly skilled, fairly strong and very smart slaves. These have allowed them, due to their noble leaders vast portfolio, to directly command a fleet of 9 ships that range from 200 tons to 2,100 tons and indirectly command another 27 ships that range from 100 tons to 4,300 tons. But my friend knows that he has been far too generous and that the fleet that The Aslan you are meant to capture in part 8 is part of as well as the characters potential pursuers are took weak to challenge the characters forces. What should I tell him to use to to be able to give his characters a much more worthy challenge, maybe even be too great for his characters to be able to fight?
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: A more challenging fleet?

Postby locarno24 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:00 am

Basic GM approaches - either:

~ Scale up the fleet (copy-paste duplicating NPC ships) to match
~ Scale up the fleet (picking kiloDton light capital ships instead of smaller vessels) to match
~ Prevent them having their full fleet with them. It shouldn't be too hard to devise a scenario where the 'indirectly controlled' ships aren't available to the players, for example.

What ship statlines has he created for the game, or does he have access to in books?
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.
Rick
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: A more challenging fleet?

Postby Rick » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:51 pm

So this friends' PC's have installed themselves as the Goa'uld equivalent, with a fleet of obedient Jaffa equivalents? I'm sure nothing can possibly go wrong with that concept, sounds like a game-winning strategy to me! :twisted:

The problem with scaling-up is that you will be continually in an arms race, with the PC's scaling up in response. See if they can come up with a way to succeed when they have less to work with.
"Understanding is a 3-edged sword" bit like a toblerone, really.