Monthly Maintenance

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
mancerbear
Banded Mongoose

Monthly Maintenance

Postby mancerbear » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:43 am

Quick question, hopefully quick answer. Do I have to take my TL12 starship to a TL12 star port for monthly maintenance, or will any A or B star port suffice?
GarethL
Mongoose

Re: Monthly Maintenance

Postby GarethL » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:41 am

I always assumed that monthly maintenance represented the purchase of spairs, consumables, and other sundries.

i.e: It need not be done in a spaceport at all, the parts are simply expended by the crew whilst performing their normal duties.

In theory I guess you could require the expenditure to be made at high-tech worlds and in advance, but in practice I usually handwave it away unless the players spend an extended period of time somewhere that makes the needed purchases unlikely (even then, a workshop may allow players to make what they need).

Face it, regardless of the local TL, a lot of spaceports are maintained by external agencies (the Imperium, a corporation, etc). So they're going to bring in things they are likely to need.
mancerbear
Banded Mongoose

Postby mancerbear » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:39 am

Good points.

The way I'm reading it, and I could be wrong, is the maintenance occurs weekly, after every jump. All of these bar one can be performed anywhere, but once a month it must be performed in a star port, or am I getting mixed up with earlier editions?
AnotherDilbert
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:40 am

mancerbear wrote: Do I have to take my TL12 starship to a TL12 star port for monthly maintenance, or will any A or B star port suffice?
It's not stated, so it's up to you.

A starport can only build ships of it's TL or lower, so I have always assumed it's the same for maintenance.

You need both running and shipyard maintenance (Core, p145):
Repairs and Maintenance: A ship needs maintenance, which costs 0.1% of the total purchase price of the ship per year. Maintenance should be carried out each month (divide the year’s maintenance cost by 12 to find the monthly cost. Once per year this should be performed at a shipyard.
mancerbear
Banded Mongoose

Postby mancerbear » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:43 am

I just came back from reading the appropriate section and yes, it must be performed at a shipyard once a year, not once a month.

Thanks for the help all :)
GarethL
Mongoose

Postby GarethL » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:44 am

P145 of MGT2 says that the maintenance should be performed in a shipyard once per year (perhaps akin to a cars yearly MOT/Service), but that otherwise it is monthly but no shipyard needed.

Not sure about previous editions, I'm not overly familiar with them, but it could be.

The "life support and supplies" part is mostly going to be food, drinking water, oxygen, etc.
Juums
Shrew

Postby Juums » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:22 pm

I've always, as a matter of practicality, simply considered the "monthly" maintenance to be a form of withholding. You do your maintenance on the basis of a yearly overhaul where you spend a week or so in spacedock, and the captain is expected to put a fraction of that cost into escrow every month so that when the time comes, there's no question that the money to pay for the ship's yearly tune-up will be there when it's needed.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:17 pm

A vindictive dungeon master could have all service slips full during the scheduled maintenance period.

You may need to make it worth someone's while to bump another customer.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:42 am

"Repairs and Maintenance: A ship needs maintenance, which
costs 0.1% of the total purchase price of the ship per year.
Maintenance should be carried out each month (divide the
year’s maintenance cost by 12 to find the monthly cost.
Once per year this should be performed at a shipyard.

If maintenance is skipped or skimped on, roll 2D each
subsequent month,"

A bit confusing. Does this mean you should have this maintenance actually done once a month at any port but also must be done once a year at a shipyard which would be an A or B port?
GarethL
Mongoose

Postby GarethL » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:25 am

Once per month (no mention of a port) of which once per year it should be at a shipyard.

You do your preventative maintenance and fix faults whenever your crew has time (jump seems likely) and just pay for expenses once per month,

Once per year you take it my the yard for a full service.
steve98052
Banded Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:08 am

Perhaps the monthly expense is a combination of spending on expendable and consumable items and payments to the shipyard (via correspondent banks, I suppose) to maintain a reservation for the annual maintenance.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:34 pm

Life support is a separate cost.

"Life Support and Supplies: Each stateroom on a ship costs
Cr1000 per month. This cost covers supplies for the
life support system as well as food and water, although
meals at this level will be rather Spartan."
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:48 pm

Operating costs and maintenance aren't always directly connected.

Though to be fair, while it's not rocket science, it's not really thought through.
bluekieran
Mongoose

Postby bluekieran » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:15 am

Reynard wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:34 pm
Life support is a separate cost.

"Life Support and Supplies: Each stateroom on a ship costs
Cr1000 per month. This cost covers supplies for the
life support system as well as food and water, although
meals at this level will be rather Spartan."
Not wishing to drag this off-topic, but is it correct that this is separate and additional to the Cr1000/month for each person on board?
AnotherDilbert
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:55 am

bluekieran wrote: Not wishing to drag this off-topic, but is it correct that this is separate and additional to the Cr1000/month for each person on board?
Yes, kCr 1 (or kCr 3 for dual occupancy) for each regular stateroom, whether occupied or not, plus kCr 1 per person not in low berth. Other types of staterooms have other base costs.

Look at the "Running Cost Summary" table on p145.
Saladman
Weasel

Postby Saladman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:54 am

I'm tempted to count the base wages of extra, above required crew number, mechanics and engineers against monthly maintenance costs. Or maybe only up to a % if you want to require parts purchases as well.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:53 pm

I haven't seen the same table in v2, but back in v1 the average cost of living was a lot less. The average cost per day (which included all expenses such as rent, food, clothing, transportation, etc) was Cr40/day. That assumed you ate 'average', which in the US is probably restaurants like Chili's, Applebee's, Olive Garden, etc. Decent food that is reasonably priced. The chart also assumed that you were SOC 6 to be 'average'.

Assuming your food consumes 25% of your daily expenses, that's only Cr10/day. If you were living Very High, your daily costs are Cr83 (SOC 10). That translates into about Cr25/day.

Assuming 8 days onboard a ship, that's Cr200 if you are living Very High. So I'm really scratching my head at the spartan type of meals. That just makes no sense. Even the military eats better than spartan - at least going by my experience and what I would consider to be spartan. I suppose your mileage may vary on the comment, but the intent is pretty clear if you use the dictionary definition.

"Life Support and Supplies: Each stateroom on a ship costs Cr1000 per month. This cost covers supplies for the life support system as well as food and water, although meals at this level will be rather Spartan."
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:04 pm

I checked, and it seems WalMart sells a pack of three ounce ramen noodles for a quarter.

Since my conversion rate is five to one, that means you'd buy it in the Third Imperium for CrImp 0.05 per packet.