Mindjammer - the city people

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Annatar Giftbringer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Mindjammer - the city people

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:47 am

Greetings,
Just curious if anyone here knows if the Mindjammer adventure The City People requires much converting and tweaking to work with the Traveller version of Mindjammer?
saxumcaribet
Cub

Re: Mindjammer - the city people

Postby saxumcaribet » Sat May 20, 2017 3:19 pm

Annatar Giftbringer wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:47 am
Greetings,
Just curious if anyone here knows if the Mindjammer adventure The City People requires much converting and tweaking to work with the Traveller version of Mindjammer?
I can't answer - but I am very curious as to what the answer is!
I'm looking at Mindjammer Traveller, but want to know whether the Mindjammer supplements will work well with the MT rules, or only work well with the FATE rules.

A related question perhaps answerable by someone with a copy, is whether they have changed the tech gear in Mindjammer (to better fit the Trav rules), and so also made it less compatible with FATE.
I do see from reviews that they've redone Mindjammer's chargen to use the Trav Careers system (yay!), so they have made some quite strong changes to fit in...
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Vancouver, where the rainbow ends/Oxford, occasionally, in an ivory tower

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Sun May 21, 2017 12:29 am

All the gear is stated for Traveller, or references the CSC and Traveller MRB.

I can't say anything about Traveller and other older Mindjammer supplements sadly.
The desire for a "definitive, ultimate answer" is, in fact, classified by modern psychiatric medicine as a mental illness.
heron61
Mongoose

Postby heron61 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:11 am

saxumcaribet wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 3:19 pm
Annatar Giftbringer wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:47 am
Greetings,
I can't answer - but I am very curious as to what the answer is!
I'm looking at Mindjammer Traveller, but want to know whether the Mindjammer supplements will work well with the MT rules, or only work well with the FATE rules.
As I mentioned in the other MJT thread, you'll need to convert all the characters, and you also may need to reduce the size of the opposition in combat, since there are no minor characters in Traveller, and any well-armed character is a potentially deadly threat.
A related question perhaps answerable by someone with a copy, is whether they have changed the tech gear in Mindjammer (to better fit the Trav rules), and so also made it less compatible with FATE.
I included those bits of Traveller tech that make sense with the Mindjammer setting, and converted the rules for existing Mindjammer gear, but the tech all works the same as in Mindjammer, so you shouldn't see any differences there, except that in general Traveller descriptions of tech are somewhat more numerically detailed than FATE versions.

I do see from reviews that they've redone Mindjammer's chargen to use the Trav Careers system (yay!), so they have made some quite strong changes to fit in...
Indeed, including both standard rolled chargen, and a point-based chargen system that I think works really well (I love Traveller, but actively dislike randomly rolled chargen). Obviously, converting a character from one rule set to the other changes how they play, but I also did my best to make characters "feel" the same to play, regardless of which rule system you are using. Sarah and I both did our best to make Mindjammer: Traveller preserve the feel of both the Mindjammer setting and of the characters in it, while also very definitely using the Traveller rule-set.
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Tue May 30, 2017 4:41 pm

This is the first I've heard of Mindjammer, but I'm curious about the idea of Fate and other rules light systems as a way to play the Traveller feel and setting. How has that worked for others who have tried it?