Pocket Trader

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Pocket Trader

Postby Reynard » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:01 pm

Pocket Trader TL 11 100 tons Mcr.21.845 Maintenance: 1820/month
Power: Maneuver - 20, Basic systems - 20, Jump - 20, Low berths - 1, fuel processor - 1
Tons MCr.
Hull Streamlined, Light - 3.75
Armor 0 - -
M-Drive Thrust 2 2 4
J-Drive Jump - 2 10 15
Power Plant Fusion 8 Power 45 4.5 2.25
Fuel Tanks J-2, 4 weeks of operation 21 -
Bridge Small 6 0.5
Computer Computer 5/bis - 0.045
Sensors Basic - -
Weapons
Systems Fuel scoops - 1
Fuel Processors 20 tons/day 1 0.05
10 Low Berths 5 0.5
Dedicated Ammo Store 1 -
2x Re-entry Pods 2 0.3
Staterooms 2 Standard 8 4
Cargo 32.5 -

Not as common as the more famous Far and Free Trades, none the less, the Pocket Trader has flown the star ways just as long whether snubbed or envied.

Half the size built on a light frame for economy while twice the Gs of other traders for a slight edge. The stock model relies on lower tech level systems for repair and maintenance availability which is useful in backwater regions.

Pocket Traders use a streamlined disc design with cargo central and other systems locations in the outer ring and the turret spaces off center to connect to the ring bulkhead. The cargo bay hatch/elevator is forward and under the ring. This is intentional to allow a highly configurable deck layout for new systems sacrificing cargo space for the needs of creative crews.

Pocket Traders rely mainly on cargo trade but offer cheap low berth travel for the willing and sometimes desperate. A small flaw is knowing this ship only carries two Re-entry pods for the crew. The small cargo load often encourages speculative trade and… other sources of income.

The vessel’s shortcomings offset by the lower price have given rise to the notion of PT crews as daring, cunning and often foolhardy mostly because you don’t hear from the losers. These adventurers tend to modify their ships creating, or people imagine, unique and outlandish results for their particular needs. Many become well known for what rumors describe and many people speculate just what is behind the hull of a PT sitting in a starport bay.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Pocket Trader

Postby Reynard » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:03 pm

Sorry for how the formatting looks. When I look in the editor, the formatting is perfect.
Condottiere
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:12 pm

I've coined the term Flea Trader.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:14 pm

I like that.
Condottiere
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:21 pm

Disclosure, I had a try at the hundred tonne trader variant, the minimum drive tonnage of the new rule set annoyed me enough to take a reductionist approach.
AnotherDilbert
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:58 pm

Cool!

I like small ships, you can do a lot with 100 dT...

I'm missing 6 dT somewhere, I get 38.5 dT cargo (presuming there is a turret).

The Hull should cost 100 × 0.05 × 120% × 75% = MCr 4.5.

Small bridge cost half, so MCr 0.25.

Fuel scoops are free on streamlined ships.

Staterooms cost MCr 0.5 each, so total MCr 1.

You might eke out another dT cargo by using a TL11 power plant (Reduced Size)?

And another dT by using a fixed mount with 3 missile racks, it would allow you to carry 36 missiles, perhaps enough for a trader? You even save the need for a gunner.

You could save some money by using a Budget jump drive that is energy inefficient, but you would lose 0.5 dT for the power plant. It would create some power reserve for weapons.

A Hydroponic garden (Biosphere) would save some money on life support, increasing the profitability. It can even be a part of a lounge.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:05 pm

Arrgh! I have to stop (yeah right) working on these designs during my small breaks at work! I'll put up the edited version ASAP. *sigh*

I was seeing ships with no weapons and no tonnage. Should have a dedicated turret space of one ton along with the adjacent ammo store space.
I'm not even going to figure how I kept missing the auto fuel scoops on streamlined ships. The cargo error was a re-recorrection.
Generally ashamed of my rushed bad math.

I was trying to make the ship as low tech and general purpose as possible. The TL 8 PP seem to fit the power needs better than a higher one and repairable at more ports.
The turret idea as well as a couple left over power points and the ammo store was part of configurability for crews.
Such ideas as the Biosphere is part of what the Pocket Trader is know for when crews add such things at their discretion. No two PTs are the same.
Jak Nazryth
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jak Nazryth » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:10 pm

At the office, can't do it justice, but at first glance it looks great!
Similar to the run-about I started this past weekend. My design has better range, your's has more cargo, much more economical.
I can't offer much in constructive critiques until much later today, but so far it looks good. :)
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:18 pm

Edited version.

Pocket Trader TL 11 100 tons Mcr.27.895 Maintenance: Cr.2325/month
Power: Maneuver - 20, Basic systems - 20, Jump - 20, Low berths - 1, fuel processor - 1
Tons MCr.
Hull Streamlined, Light - 4.5
Armor 0 - -
M-Drive Thrust 2 2 4
J-Drive Jump - 2 10 15
Power Plant Fusion 8 Power 45 4.5 2.25
Fuel Tanks J-2, 4 weeks of operation 21 -
Bridge Small 6 0.25
Computer Computer 5/bis - 0.045
Sensors Basic - -
Weapons capable for popup 2 -
Systems Fuel scoops - -
Fuel Processors 20 tons/day 1 0.05
10 Low Berths 5 0.5
Dedicated Ammo Store 1 -
2x Re-entry Pods 2 0.3
Staterooms 2 Standard 8 1
Cargo 37.5 -
Last edited by Reynard on Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:22 pm

Jak and everyone else, more opinions and criticism to make a more solid design. Must promise myself to never post a 'final' design until I sit at home on a day off and be thorough.
Juums
Shrew

Postby Juums » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:25 pm

Pretty sure your total cost in the edited version is wrong. As it's stated at 18.345 MCr, while your hull and drives total 23.5 MCr by themselves.

Though I like the idea of the 100-ton everyship, an ultra-basic trader that's Fisher Price's My First Jump-Capable Vessel. I doodled my own up for my current Pirates game due to this thread.
bluekieran
Stoat

Postby bluekieran » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:58 pm

Tried building this to test my sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
(I've collapsed a lot of the unused options to make it a bit more readable)

I make it MCr26.73, though I'm not sure about the weapons; is it a pop-up fixed mount with nothing in it?

Also, I can't find ammo store in HG, so I'm figuring that's just partitioned-off space rather than anything official; I make it 36.5 tons cargo space left after that.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:25 pm

Thanks Juums for that error. The neighbor finally finished talking and the cat finally stopped begging for attention. I HOPE the newest tabulation works.

Yeah, I was also thinking about an every ship when the pocket trader came to mind, cheap and configurable. When credits come in, crews move bulkheads and add or subtract. Most people see these putt-putts as easy targets until they meet one that boosted the fusion plant, added a popup turret where there was originally no turret and add an energy weapon set when the stock model can only handle missiles and Sandcasters. Leave the plant alone and add High efficiency batteries to store enough charges to fire lasers a limited number of times.

For 1 power point and 1 ton of space, 20 tons of the cargo hold becomes a multi-environment which could be stables, staterooms or even barracks for various alien needs. The two extra points of power means the hold can be fitted with 20 low berths for a total of 30. That's a lot of meat hauling and still have 18 tons for other configurations.

That's what makes an every ship interesting. Many might be 'normal' but a lot come in so many flavors in the hands of adventurers with credits. Being small and cheap, there can be many.... like fleas.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:39 pm

" is it a pop-up fixed mount with nothing in it?"

A hard point with empty space dedicated to future weapons or two tons of closet space as needed. They designed the extra ton into it since popups are a popular option with PTs.

"Also, I can't find ammo store in HG, so I'm figuring that's just partitioned-off space rather than anything official; I make it 36.5 tons cargo space left after that."

Missiles and Sandcasters would be the most probable weapons and defense of choice so the designers made sure there was storage too. Again, the space can find some clever use if not holding ammo. Travellers going through a PT will be surprised as well as confused at what this room might have in it. Accumulated bags of trash or a cargo bot or shelves with an assortment of electronic and engine parts.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:48 pm

Seems more like a courier than a trader. But you figure ships of this type will exist due to the need for small ships to deliver cargoes.

I could see this delivering cargoes to both larger systems, but more likely it will be taking on runs to out of the way places, or perhaps delivering expensive goods like tablets or even weapons to lower tech planets that can't afford to pay for large quantities.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:57 pm

Sam's Imperial Cut-rate Courier Service. When it absolutely must get there in two weeks.

Wouldn't be bad for a small time fleet operation in a main.
Condottiere
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:42 am

You'd have to spread cheat your business case.
PsiTraveller
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby PsiTraveller » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:26 pm

I really like the design. If you wanted to increase profitability for a small increase in cost put in 5 more tons of Jump engine for 7.5 million credits, 4 more tons of M Drive for 8 million credits and 100 tons of external cargo mounts for 100 000 credits or 1 ton of Jump Net for 300 000 credits. While this increases the cost of the ship it allows an extra 100 tons of cargo to be moved at a time. Even at Freight rates this could be an income of 320 000 Credits a month extra. The upgrades would pay for themselves in a few years.
Even just putting in the racks or Jump Net and doing Jump 1's now and then would increase income by 2 Million a year.
AnotherDilbert
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:36 pm

I agree, but:
Streamlined or distributed ships may not use external cargo mounts.
bluekieran
Stoat

Postby bluekieran » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:29 pm

AnotherDilbert wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:36 pm
I agree, but:
Streamlined or distributed ships may not use external cargo mounts.
Is guess "distributed" should read "dispersed"?