Sample Art: Industrial vehicles

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1551
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Sample Art: Industrial vehicles

Postby wbnc » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:05 pm

here are a few of the vehicles I am working up. changes may occur before the final version.
Grav Loader
Image
Grav Loader type 2 The cab is offset to one side since the swing arm blocks the view if the driver is sitting dead center of the vehicle.Also, a portion of the load bearing frame is removed for now....will add it back in for other pics.
Image
Work/inspection vehicle( full EVA capable)
Image

Runabout
Image

for comparison here is a less industrial looking Air van, which is basically the same vehicle with a lighter chassis and a bit more styling....as in it's not a metal box with a with lifters installed.
Image
mancerbear
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 415
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:34 am

Re: Sample Art: Industrial vehicles

Postby mancerbear » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:58 am

These are really good.
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1551
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Re: Sample Art: Industrial vehicles

Postby wbnc » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:55 pm

mancerbear wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:58 am
These are really good.
I appreciate that :D
PsiTraveller
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:47 pm

Re: Sample Art: Industrial vehicles

Postby PsiTraveller » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:20 pm

Very nice. I will be contacting you to use some of these in a TAS publication. :)
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 4029
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:13 pm

Re: Sample Art: Industrial vehicles

Postby phavoc » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Great artwork.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing!
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1551
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Re: Sample Art: Industrial vehicles

Postby wbnc » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:11 pm

phavoc wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:52 pm
Great artwork.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing!
Thanks. I don't mind sharing the feedback helps me refine things a bit.
PsiTraveller
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:47 pm

Re: Sample Art: Industrial vehicles

Postby PsiTraveller » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:32 pm

I like the scratches and weathering on the work units. It matches the reality of work units getting dinged and banged up. A little scarier when you are out in space, but work units will get worked.

I like that the working basis of the civilian model can still be seen. There is an element (in my eyes at least) of 'this is what is needed to get the thing to work, and we pretty it up for the civilian market as best we can.' element to it.

Call signs, unit numbers and possible stickers and graffiti on the work units might be an added touch.
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1551
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Re: Sample Art: Industrial vehicles

Postby wbnc » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:03 am

PsiTraveller wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:20 pm
Very nice. I will be contacting you to use some of these in a TAS publication. :)
I wouldn't be against that idea :D
PsiTraveller wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:32 pm
I like the scratches and weathering on the work units. It matches the reality of work units getting dinged and banged up. A little scarier when you are out in space, but work units will get worked.

I like that the working basis of the civilian model can still be seen. There is an element (in my eyes at least) of 'this is what is needed to get the thing to work, and we pretty it up for the civilian market as best we can.' element to it.

Call signs, unit numbers and possible stickers and graffiti on the work units might be an added touch.
I ran loaders forklifts etc.. for a few years, those things get banged u so bad its not funny. then there is oil, leaks, splashes, etc... if yer loader is pretty look out they just got it back from a rebuild...or they pressure washed. I literally had the lifting frame of one loader fall off going down the road with three tons of brick on the forks.....fifteen MPH to zero in " OH $%&$!!!" flat.... the boss steps out and asks me what happened..." Oh nothing...I figured out where those broken bolt heads that the repair shop said "not to worry about" and "you do your job, we'll do ours" were coming from..."

I am just getting the hang of putting decals and print on my models, I plan on doing more of that.
Jak Nazryth
Lesser Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 795
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 5:13 am

Re: Sample Art: Industrial vehicles

Postby Jak Nazryth » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:14 pm

I love love love these illustrations.
What software is this? wait... did I ask that before?
Wish I had your 3D talent. :)
I was a stock boy in my college days and I ran motorized pallet jacks, so yeah... lots of bangs a scrapes.
BTW... did you consider creating an "under-container" version of the manipulator arms? Like a traditional forklift or pallet jack?

Also, how many hours did you spend creating these each?
I would love to use this software to start creating 3D version of my AutoCAD designs.
Great work, worthy of publishing.
FallingPhoenix
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 348
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2004 1:49 am

Re: Sample Art: Industrial vehicles

Postby FallingPhoenix » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:28 pm

Nice job! I see your skills improving every time you post something.

One (possible) quibble: Does a person fit on that chair and still under the roof in that last one? Maybe it's just the angle, but the chair looks too big or the vehicle too small to me.

@Jak: https://www.blender.org/
"We can disagree without being disagreeable." - Gordon B. Hinckley
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 4069
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:57 pm

Re: Sample Art: Industrial vehicles

Postby AndrewW » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:42 pm

Jak Nazryth wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:14 pm
What software is this? wait... did I ask that before?
Blender http://www.blender.org/
Jak Nazryth wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:14 pm
I would love to use this software to start creating 3D version of my AutoCAD designs.
There is a DXF import filter, can also import 3DS.
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 1551
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Re: Sample Art: Industrial vehicles

Postby wbnc » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:34 pm

Jak Nazryth wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:14 pm
I love love love these illustrations.
What software is this? wait... did I ask that before?
Wish I had your 3D talent. :)
I was a stock boy in my college days and I ran motorized pallet jacks, so yeah... lots of bangs a scrapes.
BTW... did you consider creating an "under-container" version of the manipulator arms? Like a traditional forklift or pallet jack?

Also, how many hours did you spend creating these each?
I would love to use this software to start creating 3D version of my AutoCAD designs.
Great work, worthy of publishing.
Thanks.I can't claim to have that much talent....just a lot of time to practice.
It takes anywhere from a few hours to a couple of days to get a usable model. After I have the base model down I can alter and rework the base design into multiple forms. That takes a few hours and a lot of trial and error. if ya want to teach yourself how to do modeling I would say go for it. There are lots of tutorials available fro both the software companies and on youtube..some are useful others are ..well not so useful. But it's a great way to keep your mind and hands busy.

I have a forklift model but I was not very happy with it. The lifting frame is mechanically complex and I can't get it to look right.

And thanks again, Someday I would love to get some of my stuff into published material.
FallingPhoenix wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:28 pm
Nice job! I see your skills improving every time you post something.

One (possible) quibble: Does a person fit on that chair and still under the roof in that last one? Maybe it's just the angle, but the chair looks too big or the vehicle too small to me.

@Jak: https://www.blender.org/
Thanks, I may someday actually get good at this.

The scale on the chairs is off a bit. I didn't notice that until it was mentioned.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Galadrion and 11 guests