What happened to Zero-G?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
ShawnDriscoll
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: What happened to Zero-G?

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:59 am

xnet445 wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:07 am
How about applying a bane if you don't have Zero G experience, and applying a boon only if you have extensive Zero G training a la Star Marines?
One of many ways to handle it, depending on how good the players and referee are at a table.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:17 pm

It's an adaptation, which some of us would just be better at.

How would you express that and does that need to be compensated for? That's why it's a question if you need to count that as a skill.
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:42 pm

I think Zero G is a tough case. Without at least a little training, people are essentially helpless in zero G. Many vomit the first time they experience it. Some never overcome that nausea; astronaut candidates have washed out for that reason. Without the skill, you have a real problem if you encounter the condition.

On the other hand, it's a skill with very narrow applications; if no one turns off the gravity, the skill is never used. Is it really worth including something that narrow? Maybe it should be a free skill (at zero) for anyone who gets another space skill.

And a digression:
h1ro wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:57 pm
. . . There are plenty I don't agree with (it's way more difficult to shoot a pistol than it is a rifle but that's a dead horse I don't want to flog) and likewise I don't agree with athletics (dex) as the appropriate skill for zero G. . . .
I've fired rifles and a pistol, and I found the rifle much easier. I don't know how large the difference is in the rules, but the existence of a difference seems reasonable to me.
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Sat May 20, 2017 11:35 pm

Our group ran a session once where, per chance nobody had taken or received a zero gravity skill. The results of trying to fix a simple malfunction on the exterior of the ship were...Monty Python-esque. Too a whole session to complete.
Outtasight!