The Vehicle Handbook is Here!

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
msprange
Site Admin

The Vehicle Handbook is Here!

Postby msprange » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:58 pm

The next major addition to the new Traveller line has finally arrived - the Vehicle Handbook!

You can grab your own copy right here: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/204 ... te_id=7242

Alternatively, if you pre-order the hardback here (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/ ... dbook.html) and then drop us a line (msprange@mongoosepublishing.com), we'll sort you out with a free PDF!

Universes of science fiction are filled with vehicles ranging from the mundane to the exotic. A starport on a world far beyond the frontier may see a mix of pedal-powered rickshaws, horse-drawn wagons and anti-grav skimmers. A high-tech centralised and industrial world will have skies filled with the anti-grav equivalent of cars, trucks and buses, while its military will be able to deploy armoured tanks who can withstand bombardment from spacecraft in orbit above them. All of these, and many more, can be created with the Vehicle Handbook.

The Vehicle Handbook has been designed to be quick and easy to use, whether your Travellers are looking to quickly upgrade or modify their humble air/raft, or construct a massive battle-ready walker armed with city-crushing weaponry from scratch. Even a large, multi-turreted super-heavy battle tank will not take much longer than five minutes’ work.

The Vehicle Handbook comes complete with an immense catalogue filled with vehicles built using this system, allowing you to dive straight in and begin populating your worlds with vehicles the Travellers can ride, purchase and fight against.

Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
EldritchFire
Banded Mongoose

Re: The Vehicle Handbook is Here!

Postby EldritchFire » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:03 pm

WOOHOO! IS IT LUNCH BREAK YET!?
Currently working on a Star Wars conversion for Traveller 2e! Details here.
DickNervous
Stoat

Postby DickNervous » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:27 pm

Now I can combine two of my favorite game: Traveller and Car Wars! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
----------------------------
Rich 'DickNervous' Neves
Baron of Ishala - VLAN 2113 Ishala C866651-9
Baron of Enaaka - DENE 0203 Enaaka B777786-6
Knight of Deneb - SPIN 1721 ARBA C200200-C
Nervoused.com
legozhodani
Banded Mongoose

Postby legozhodani » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:58 pm

Hello Matt. Just tried to send a request for the PDF version after pre-ordering and keep getting the message bounced back. :?
allanimal
Banded Mongoose

Postby allanimal » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:00 pm

DickNervous wrote:Now I can combine two of my favorite game: Traveller and Car Wars! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I like the way you think. Time to get out the map to the Dumbarton Slalom Arena...
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:02 pm

legozhodani wrote:Hello Matt. Just tried to send a request for the PDF version after pre-ordering and keep getting the message bounced back. :?
That was completely my bad - send it to msprange@mongoosepublishing.com and you'll be golden!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
legozhodani
Banded Mongoose

Postby legozhodani » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:04 pm

Bad Matt! Naughty Matt!
legozhodani
Banded Mongoose

Postby legozhodani » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:48 pm

Ok, initial response to a 10 min look of the PDF is, FUN!

Not had a chance to chew the stuff, but a lot of this looks like it will get use in our group. Lots of nice non-military stuff for those of us who have gun-light games.
EldritchFire
Banded Mongoose

Postby EldritchFire » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:30 pm

I noticed there is no open frame option for the walkers. No AT-RTs, huh? that's sad.

For your consideration, the Open Frame option for walkers!

Agility: +1
Spaces: 1-3
Cost per Space: +Cr10,000
Tech Table: Increase Speed by one band
Traits: Open Vehicle

Also, a few questions.
  • Can you choose a chassis option more than once? Or are they binary options? For example, the multi-legged option for walkers, is that for each +2 legs, or for more than 2 legs?
  • You can combine chassis options, correct? For example, a light grav vehicle can be both open frame and streamlined
  • How do you figure the tonnage of a starship turret weapon? Page 44 says you can take spacecraft weapons and to figure spaces by tonnage x 4, but HG doesn't list tonnage for turret/hardpoint/firmpoint weapons
EldritchFire
Banded Mongoose

Postby EldritchFire » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:11 pm

A few more questions popped up while I was reading on my lunch break:
  • Do weapons mounted in turrets take up space in addition to the turret taking up space? Or is it like with spacecraft that the weapon doesn't but the turret mounting does?
  • How does the 'one use' trait interact with weapons that have a magazine capacity? The plasma missile rack (pg43) has a magazine of 12, but the one use trait
  • Is the unpowered vehicle, unpowered boat, or powered boat supposed to have the open vehicle trait?
  • Should the bombs have the one use trait? The missiles seem to have them, but not bombs
mancerbear
Banded Mongoose

Postby mancerbear » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:43 pm

Preorder purchased and email sent :)
EldritchFire
Banded Mongoose

Postby EldritchFire » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:21 pm

What is the melee damage from the various manipulator arms?
Hoth GM
Shrew

Postby Hoth GM » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:16 pm

Preorder placed, email sent. I love having hardbacks for my gaming books, and in my game I provided an upcoming opportunity for the players to upgrade their ship. PDFs are so useful and searchable and I like what I see of High Guard in my PDF version.... but I knew I'd need a hardback High Guard when that session came, so I ordered that too! Hurray!! $$$
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Infojunky » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:37 pm

Sorry, still gaging over the price.... Maybe next month...
Evyn
EldritchFire
Banded Mongoose

Postby EldritchFire » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:36 am

Do the chassis options change the cost per unit, or are they additional costs?

I ask because some options change the base price per space, like fuel efficiency and structural reinforcement.

For example, if I have a light grav vehicle (Cr30,000 per space) and take the open frame option (+Cr10,000 per Space) and make it fuel efficient (+25% per space). Does that make it Cr37,500 per space (Cr30,000 + 25%) and the open frame is an extra KCr10 per space? Or is it KCr50 per space (base 30k + 10k = 40k +25%)?
xnet445
Weasel

Postby xnet445 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:38 pm

Is there any way to order the hard copy from my FLGS and get in on the free PDF goodness? I try to funnel every purchase I can through my local store in the hope that they will stay open, but they are just NOW getting their allotment of High Guard from Alliance, their distributor.
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:36 pm

Had a chance to look over the new book last night. So far so good :D might be pulling out hair later when I try to do more complex builds but for off the cuff designs its not bad at all.
allanimal
Banded Mongoose

Postby allanimal » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:29 am

Wow, this is a fun book.
I'm too swamped to try my hand at designing vehicles for a bit, but will be pulling a few vehicles from the huge list of standard designs into my weekly game.
Too bad we just started a "mostly stuck on a starship" arc.... I guess they will have to entertain themselves in jump space with cargo lifter battles. :)

Oh - and there's an index! Woo hoo!
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:56 pm

xnet445 wrote:Is there any way to order the hard copy from my FLGS and get in on the free PDF goodness? I try to funnel every purchase I can through my local store in the hope that they will stay open, but they are just NOW getting their allotment of High Guard from Alliance, their distributor.
Find out if your gamestore is part of the Bits and Mortar system. Under that your gaming store joins up and when you buy eligible hardbacks you get a free pdf.
DickNervous
Stoat

Postby DickNervous » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:10 am

Hey Matt,

I noticed when creating a vehicle that nowhere in the book are the "Speed bands" defined. They are in the Core book (pg. 130) but I really think that it would be helpful to have that table in the Vehicle book as well. It is amazing what MCr8.85 will buy you. Like a Heavy Grav AFV that does 500-800kph and has a wet bar, hot tub, and Gauss Cannon. :)
----------------------------
Rich 'DickNervous' Neves
Baron of Ishala - VLAN 2113 Ishala C866651-9
Baron of Enaaka - DENE 0203 Enaaka B777786-6
Knight of Deneb - SPIN 1721 ARBA C200200-C
Nervoused.com