Robots

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
mancerbear
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Robots

Postby mancerbear » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:54 am

While I'm happy with the robots supplied in the CCC, I would love to see more detail regarding them.

I would like to learn how we design our own.

How do we apply a TL to them?

At what TLs do what type of intelligences appear?

What sort of power do they use?

How do we figure cost?

What is their Int and Str?

How many programs can they run concurrently?

How many programs can they have stored?

So many questions that need to be answered. I like how they are designed like animals, but I think we need more.
legozhodani
Banded Mongoose

Re: Robots

Postby legozhodani » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:01 am

I just looked at the basic robots in the CSC and then just made up what I needed for the games.
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:13 am

Robots are certainly something we will return to, but not in the format of our older Robots book (that is, no construction system). Given the possible variety, we want to keep robots as flexible as possible, and an animal-related system seems the best compromise all round (also means the ref can create robots on the fly during a game with very little effort - Hits, Skills, Traits, good to go!).
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
legozhodani
Banded Mongoose

Postby legozhodani » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:52 pm

It seems, as usual, there is a gulf between those whole like the techy side of building stuff, and those who roleplay. A gap that's always been there and not easy to span.
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:57 pm

legozhodani wrote:It seems, as usual, there is a gulf between those whole like the techy side of building stuff, and those who roleplay. A gap that's always been there and not easy to span.
This is very true, and is certainly something we have noticed. There is a greater focus on storyline in this new edition (at least, for 2017), but we are always looking to see what areas of the rules need greater expansion, and which are best streamlined. Given the ubiquity of robots, we felt that streamlining was the way to go.

Incidentally, this does not necessarily (though it can) mean drones - larger drones are well-covered in the forthcoming Vehicle Handbook, which provides a nice middle ground in complexity between ships and robots.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
legozhodani
Banded Mongoose

Postby legozhodani » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:04 pm

Well as one of those who isn't too bothered how the thing works I've been happy with releases so far, even the Highguard was fun. I wasn't going to buy it until a player in our group teased me with it.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:58 pm

legozhodani wrote:Well as one of those who isn't too bothered how the thing works I've been happy with releases so far, even the Highguard was fun. I wasn't going to buy it until a player in our group teased me with it.
Just wondering, what was it from the tease that prompted you getting High Guard?
mancerbear
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby mancerbear » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm very happy with the way robots are done now, and I've already modified them to create the sort of robots I want. I guess I'm just hungry for more :)
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:41 pm

I think the key question for me is: will players be able to play robots, or artificial intelligences with good support from the game?
Outtasight!
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:12 am

TrippyHippy wrote:I think the key question for me is: will players be able to play robots, or artificial intelligences with good support from the game?
That is certainly on the cards.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
legozhodani
Banded Mongoose

Postby legozhodani » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:21 am

I was tempted by nice ship plans (mainly civilian stuff as I don't bother with large war vessels) and such fun stuff as hydroponic rooms and the ease of ship creation. Overall ease in finding stuff I needed and was able to implement.

Negatives are, hardbacks are a pain to lug about. They do look nice and hold up well though. No large civilian vessels. I would like to have seen more mining ships, large cargo ships and passenger ships. Also I liked the old medical ship from 1e.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:58 am

legozhodani wrote:I was tempted by nice ship plans (mainly civilian stuff as I don't bother with large war vessels) and such fun stuff as hydroponic rooms and the ease of ship creation. Overall ease in finding stuff I needed and was able to implement.
Usually Traveller has concentrated on smaller stuff for traders and such as those are more likely to be of interest to player groups. There was an effort to make things a little easier over the previous edition.
legozhodani wrote:Negatives are, hardbacks are a pain to lug about.
That is where the PDF can come in handy, along with searching.
Valanti
Cub

Postby Valanti » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:15 pm

I too would be interested in the ability to play AIs and to have a variety of drones available.
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby locarno24 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:30 am

legozhodani wrote:It seems, as usual, there is a gulf between those whole like the techy side of building stuff, and those who roleplay. A gap that's always been there and not easy to span.
Agreed. But at the same time, I don't see that there needs to be a massive difference in rules mechanics between "big stompy monster" and "big stompy battle robot" - both can have weapons, armour, skills, etc.

I agree it'd be nice to have a generating guide, but there needn't be different in-game mechanics for them, because where you do that, one tends to be 'better' for something of the same theoretical size; like the difference between a combat smallcraft and a grav-tank in Mongoose Traveller 1e, or a walker and a monstrous creature in 40k.

msprange wrote:
TrippyHippy wrote:I think the key question for me is: will players be able to play robots, or artificial intelligences with good support from the game?
That is certainly on the cards.
Good. Depending on the tech level people are playing at, an AI or other smart droids are an interesting character to play. The Custodian was my favourite character from Secrets of the Ancients, and - if possible - one of my favourite RPG settings would be The Culture (it's why I'm very happy with Mindjammer, which is about as close as you can get without getting Ian M Banks estate in on the act)
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.