illustrtion: Air raft reworked

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

illustrtion: Air raft reworked

Postby wbnc » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:59 am

Gave the bas8c air raft a little attention. I wanted a bit more than your standard flying Kubelwagen....So I made this version a bit more suited to carrying a bit of gear int eh rear, added some storage bins and a water can to the back...oh and people, With the windscreen folded down the vehicle is about 4 Displacement tons in volume ( within best estimates, some tweaking still needed.) It can carry the standard 5+ Driver passengers, in comfortable seating, and a bit of cargo in the back. Additional passengers can sit in the back but there aren't any seat belts or cushions back there so it's not advised if the driver is trying any fancy maneuvers.

comes standard wth headlights, removable canvas top, (not shown cause I suck at canvas tops) stereo system, short range radio, dash-mounted computer with Navigation assistance ( basic cell phone grade navigation system)multiple cup holders and a cooler in the back for beverages and snacks. Air conditioning is free as long at the planet has an atmosphere and the vehicle is moving.( manufacturer is not responsible for bugs in teeth bird strikes and other environmental hazards,)

Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: illustrtion: Air raft reworked

Postby Infojunky » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:41 am

Works by me...

A hardtop would be cool as well...
Evyn
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:17 am

Infojunky wrote:Works by me...

A hardtop would be cool as well...
Hardtops I can do :D
legozhodani
Banded Mongoose

Postby legozhodani » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:40 am

Something I always wondered about since I started playing back in the 70s, open topped :shock: . Why ever make a flying craft that goes to any alititude open topped? Are they mad? Canon be damned mine are never open topped unless requested. It's bonkers. Drinks, tablets, weapons, pets, kids oh lord just imagine the mess! Nice graphic though. I can imagine a clear dome over the top of this and be happy.

Oh my O/H just reminded me don't even have long hair in an open top. :lol:
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:43 pm

legozhodani wrote:Something I always wondered about since I started playing back in the 70s, open topped :shock: . Why ever make a flying craft that goes to any alititude open topped? Are they mad? Canon be damned mine are never open topped unless requested. It's bonkers. Drinks, tablets, weapons, pets, kids oh lord just imagine the mess! Nice graphic though. I can imagine a clear dome over the top of this and be happy.

Oh my O/H just reminded me don't even have long hair in an open top. :lol:
having flown in an open cockpit aircraft before...yes it is a bit unpleasant, noisy, and cold....of course if you keep the speed down under say 80 or so Kph it's not too unpleasant.

And here we have the hardtop version
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Infojunky » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:12 pm

Works....
Evyn
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby locarno24 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:26 am

Nice.

I'd imagine a ship which is potentially doing a round trip to orbit would most likely have closed top containers and rather more substantial chairs...and at a top speed of 400kph, I'd want the hard top, even if it's not vac-sealed.

Besides which, it gives it a nice 'space pickup truck' look, which is essentially what an air/raft is (with the heavy armour version for the Hilux).
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby locarno24 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:26 am

Nice.

I'd imagine a ship which is potentially doing a round trip to orbit would most likely have closed top containers and rather more substantial chairs...and at a top speed of 400kph, I'd want the hard top, even if it's not vac-sealed.

Besides which, it gives it a nice 'space pickup truck' look, which is essentially what an air/raft is (with the heavy armour version for the Hilux).
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:14 pm

Are you going to try to make it more like a space van? The long slope of the 'hood' takes up valuable space. The old VW bus, maybe a bit more aerodynamic, would seem more like what it should look like. An open-topped flying vehicle capable of reaching orbit always seemed rather... odd to me. It looks cool flying at 100 Kph, but it's quite impractical.
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:49 pm

phavoc wrote:Are you going to try to make it more like a space van? The long slope of the 'hood' takes up valuable space. The old VW bus, maybe a bit more aerodynamic, would seem more like what it should look like. An open-topped flying vehicle capable of reaching orbit always seemed rather... odd to me. It looks cool flying at 100 Kph, but it's quite impractical.
on this model, the hood is where the reactor and other hardware is placed. the lift sand thrust systems are in the side walls and floor of the vehicle. I can probably do a snub nosed version with a more VW van style to it when I figure out what goes where inside the body.

As to the surface to orbit performance. Going to orbit at 100Kph wouldn't be that far out of the question, but hitting top speed in an atmosphere, in an open air vehicle would be an extremely unpleasant ride. You would need a full face helmet and heavy flying clothes at the very least.
GamingGlen
Mongoose

Postby GamingGlen » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:49 pm

Don't forget the flying scarf.

Now I have a picture in my mind of Snoopy on a doghouse-shaped air/raft. :D (at least it would be enclosed)
Glen
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:54 pm

GamingGlen wrote:Now I have a picture in my mind of Snoopy on a doghouse-shaped air/raft. :D (at least it would be enclosed)
But he usually sits on top.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:39 am

AndrewW wrote:But he usually sits on top.
Depends on how accurate the Red Baron has been that day... :)
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:15 am

wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:32 pm

Okay, worked this up, its a snubnosed fully enclosed version with a bit more space efficient footprint. It's basically the mini/delivery van version. All access is through the rear hatch in this version with no side doors.Secondary hatches are installed in the roof which could be used to mount a pintle mounted MG or plasma gun if needed.
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Infojunky » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:20 pm

wbnc wrote:Okay, worked this up, its a snubnosed fully enclosed version with a bit more space efficient footprint.
See, it is pictures like that the make me want to ditch the entire Automotive model of Air/Rafts and go with the Air Boat on....
Evyn
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:35 am

Sort of reminds me of the Life/Raft I conceived a while back, with inflated walls.
Tom Kalbfus
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:01 am

How does it compare with this?
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:54 am

Tom Kalbfus wrote:How does it compare with this?
more legroom, more trunk space....no flux capacitor.....
bluekieran
Mongoose

Postby bluekieran » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:06 am

wbnc wrote:Okay, worked this up, its a snubnosed fully enclosed version with a bit more space efficient footprint. It's basically the mini/delivery van version. All access is through the rear hatch in this version with no side doors.Secondary hatches are installed in the roof which could be used to mount a pintle mounted MG or plasma gun if needed.
Made me think of the Stargate Atlantis "Puddle Jumper"... just needs retractable engines!