Postby Jeraa » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:43 pm

AnotherDilbert wrote:
EldritchFire wrote:Fire Control: +2
?
EldritchFire wrote:M-Drive: Budget Thrust: 8 (increased size); 1dT; MCr1.2
Power:
M-drive: 6
?

Pulse lasers receive a +2 to hit modifier (core rulebook 156). I assume that is where the fire control thing comes from.

Originally, he had Thrust 6 for the fighter. When he redesigned for Thrust8, it looks like he forgot to change the power requirement. Luckily, because he seems to have removed one of the pulse lasers as well, he has enough spare power to cover the more powerful drive.
Last edited by Jeraa on Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
EldritchFire
Banded Mongoose

Re: TIE/LN à la Traveller

Postby EldritchFire » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:46 pm

Tom Kalbfus wrote:
Probly in Star wars money that would be 9,015 Imperial credits to build this fighter, or maybe 90,000 credits, but small spaceships don't cost millions of credits in the Star Wars Galaxy. in Comparison, Luke Skywalker sold his landspeeder for almost 2000 credits.

True, but I'm not converting Traveller credits to Star Wars credits. That is an exercise in madness! I'm doing it by the book for now, and seeing how it goes. If the in-universe price is that important, I have several books from multiple RPGs (and Wookiepedia!) to get me ballpark amounts.
Currently working on a Star Wars conversion for Traveller 2e! Details here.
EldritchFire
Banded Mongoose

Postby EldritchFire » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:48 pm

Jeraa wrote:
AnotherDilbert wrote:
EldritchFire wrote:Fire Control: +2
?
EldritchFire wrote:M-Drive: Budget Thrust: 8 (increased size); 1dT; MCr1.2
Power:
M-drive: 6
?

Pulse lasers receive a +2 to hit modifier. (Core rulebook 156). I assume that is where the fire control thing comes from.

Originally, he had Thrust 6 for the fighter. When he redesigned for Thrust8, it looks like he forgot to change the power requirement. Luckily, because he seems to have removed one of the pulse lasers as well, he has enough spare power to cover the more powerful drive.
Yes, the +2 fire control is from the innate +2 from the pulse laser. And oops on the power for the m-drive! I'll go ahead and fix it.
EldritchFire
Banded Mongoose

Postby EldritchFire » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:52 pm

Jeraa wrote:You have a listed crew of 1 and 0 passengers, with a 2.5 ton cockpit. A single person cockpit is only 1.5 tons.

As a side note, you have included the price of the software in with the price for the fighter. While not necessarily wrong, that would increase the monthly mortgage cost and the monthly maintenance. You should probably only include the cost of the ship itself and all physical components, and make a note of extra costs like software, missiles, sandcaster barrels, etc. Likewise when you go to design a carrier or other ship, don't include the price of the carried ships and vehicles either.
You're right, I accidentally was using the figures for a two-person cockpit. I'll fix that, too.

As for the software, all the example ships in HG have the software listed as part of the price of the ship, which makes sense to me. Hence why I included it.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:52 pm

EldritchFire wrote:You're right, I accidentally was using the figures for a two-person cockpit. I'll fix that, too.
I assumed that was supposed to simulate that the cockpit is so spacious that you could squeeze in another person. You have plenty of space...
EldritchFire wrote:As for the software, all the example ships in HG have the software listed as part of the price of the ship, which makes sense to me. Hence why I included it.
That is convenient, but you do not get a volume discount on software and ammunition, only the ship.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:47 pm

AnotherDilbert wrote:That is convenient, but you do not get a volume discount on software and ammunition, only the ship.
You do on software, consider it a site license. It also figures into the maintenance costs, which could be considered as the license allowing for upgrades.

But yes ammunition is left out of the initial ship costs.
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AnotherDilbert » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:44 pm

AndrewW wrote:You do on software, consider it a site license. It also figures into the maintenance costs, which could be considered as the license allowing for upgrades.
Thanks.

I assume that means that when we buy more software the ship's maintenance cost increases?
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:52 pm

Yes, software is normally considered part of the basic ship costs. Upgrade the software and the base price of the ship goes up and you have to spend more for maintenance.

As someone who works on aircraft, as the amount of software on newer planes has gone up, we have indeed had to spend more and more money on software upgrades, or just time/money on continually fixing all the bugs that pop up.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.