Cepheus City Generator

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JRoss
Banded Mongoose

Cepheus City Generator

Postby JRoss » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:03 am

Here's [url-http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/202 ... ettlements]my latest book[/url], for Cepheus. It takes the planet rules and alters them for making planetside cities. Free, but tips are always welcome.
Freelance S&P Traveller contributor
Squirrel - Your Best Friend
Fox - Beware of Lies

Do you really want to spend your entire lives praying for longevity? We were born in order to die!
Thunderegg Productions
Tom Kalbfus
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Cepheus City Generator

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:50 pm

Could be useful for generating space colonies since they are essentially cities in space.
JRoss
Banded Mongoose

Postby JRoss » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:55 am

Yeah, true. I wrote it with medieval things in mind because it's easier to do that and convert it back to regular Cepheus than it is the other way. All you have to do is change the names and prices on the Trade Goods tables back to the original names and prices in the Cepheus core book, but keep the new trade codes as presented.
Fox - Beware of Lies

Do you really want to spend your entire lives praying for longevity? We were born in order to die!
Thunderegg Productions
JRoss
Banded Mongoose

Postby JRoss » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:24 pm

I'm currently working on a "subsector" with several cities. It's going to be a sandbox thing, with the option for solo play. Deeper than a Choose Your Own Adventure book, but probably not as freeform as Star Trader.
Fox - Beware of Lies

Thunderegg Productions
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jame Rowe » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:02 pm

Could you do the URL again? It's not clickable.
"Are you in charge here?"
"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

Baron Damascaa Kiikiigulii/Sakhag/Antares. Deal with it - come visit!
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:30 pm

Jame Rowe wrote:Could you do the URL again? It's not clickable.
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/202 ... ettlements
JRoss
Banded Mongoose

Postby JRoss » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks, Andrew.
Fox - Beware of Lies

Thunderegg Productions
steve98052
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:43 pm

What does a city generator do? Generate statistics for a city, like the Traveller world and system generators? Generate neighborhoods? Tell what one can find, block by block? Something else?
JRoss
Banded Mongoose

Postby JRoss » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:20 pm

Yes, it creates cities much the same way that you generate planets. There are new trade codes so you can run a caravan between cities. It also helps to define the local terrain
Fox - Beware of Lies

Thunderegg Productions
Tom Kalbfus
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:48 pm

JRoss wrote:Yeah, true. I wrote it with medieval things in mind because it's easier to do that and convert it back to regular Cepheus than it is the other way. All you have to do is change the names and prices on the Trade Goods tables back to the original names and prices in the Cepheus core book, but keep the new trade codes as presented.
How many medieval cities is your Traveller group going to encounter? if you have a setting without FTL travel, say in the Solar System, you need something to take the place of planets, such as colonies on the Moon, Mars, and in free space. You only have 8 or 9 planets and a bunch of Moons.
Here is a map of the Moon in which you could place Lunar cities for instance, each one would have a different government population and so forth.
EldritchFire
Banded Mongoose

Postby EldritchFire » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:35 pm

Picked this up last night and just had the opportunity to read through it. It's pretty much GOLD for anyone trying to do a Stargate game!

I did notice a few errors and have a few questions about how it all works. Is it cool to post it all here, or should I email you or something?
Currently working on a Star Wars conversion for Traveller 2e! Details here.
JRoss
Banded Mongoose

Postby JRoss » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:04 pm

@ Tom, true, the idea is that this I'm going to release a medieval setting.

@EldritchFive, It would be awesome for a Stargate game. I'd never thought of that before. Uh, you can ask questions here if you want, or send a message. I get email notifications of messages, so you might get faster replies that way.
Fox - Beware of Lies

Thunderegg Productions
bluekieran
Mongoose

Postby bluekieran » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:40 pm

Just downloaded it for a look, and the use of "2d6-7" or similar in places struck me as interesting. Do you avoid other dice sizes because they're Traveller/Cepheus are d6-based, do you actually make deliberate use of the 2d6 probability curve, or both?
EldritchFire
Banded Mongoose

Postby EldritchFire » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:10 pm

Ok, here goes!

PDF page 4 (no actual numbers on the pages):
  • For settlement creation, do you roll a d6 for a settlement in each hex? Also, first paragraph, you have '80 km' and '80km'. They should both be '80km'.
  • In the madlib seciton (3rd para), there is a curly brace ({) where there should be an opening parenthesis (().
  • Terrain Types took a bit to grasp. And I'm still a bit unsure what exactly it's doing.
PDF page 5:
  • 'Water' heading: the '-Desert Terrain' took me a bit to understand. Maybe you can clarify that it's DM-1 for each desert terrain rolled on the prior table.
  • 'Population' heading: are the negative modifiers cumulative? Meaning if I rolled mountainous terrain three times is that a DM-3? Or just DM-1 for having any mountainous terrain?
  • Population table: how many people are in a household?
PDF page 6:
  • What is 'Fodder'?
Am I correct in assuming that trade is handled just like in Traveller/Cepheus Engine games? If it is, would it be possible to include the trade rules for those who don't have CE/Traveller?
Currently working on a Star Wars conversion for Traveller 2e! Details here.
steve98052
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:50 pm

EldritchFire wrote:Also, first paragraph, you have '80 km' and '80km'. They should both be '80km'.
That's a matter of typographic preference. I prefer "80 km", with a non-breaking space. But either way, it should be the same throughout.
What is 'Fodder'?
Food, usually meaning livestock food.
JRoss
Banded Mongoose

Postby JRoss » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:34 pm

bluekieran wrote:Just downloaded it for a look, and the use of "2d6-7" or similar in places struck me as interesting. Do you avoid other dice sizes because they're Traveller/Cepheus are d6-based, do you actually make deliberate use of the 2d6 probability curve, or both?
Both, actually. I really, really like the 2d6 probability distribution. And this way it gives you huge odds for a 1, with less as they go higher. I did that intentionally so you'll get more plains and fewer mountains.
  • For settlement creation, do you roll a d6 for a settlement in each hex? Also, first paragraph, you have '80 km' and '80km'. They should both be '80km'.
  • In the madlib seciton (3rd para), there is a curly brace ({) where there should be an opening parenthesis (().
  • Terrain Types took a bit to grasp. And I'm still a bit unsure what exactly it's doing.
I'll fix the typos. The idea is that you actually determine how many cities you want and then roll coordinates. I thought I put that in their. The idea for terrain, and I must not have clarified, is that it starts out as a blank slate, and you roll for how many types of terrain are present around the city. Like if you're looking at a political map the city would exert control over a number of hexes around it relative to its size. My goal was to show who has access to wood, metal, etc. with the logic being that larger cities tend to have more resources.

PDF page 5:
  • 'Water' heading: the '-Desert Terrain' took me a bit to understand. Maybe you can clarify that it's DM-1 for each desert terrain rolled on the prior table.
  • 'Population' heading: are the negative modifiers cumulative? Meaning if I rolled mountainous terrain three times is that a DM-3? Or just DM-1 for having any mountainous terrain?
  • Population table: how many people are in a household?
I like your desert clarification better. For mountain it's not cumulative. I'm going to reduce that from "households" to individuals. Seems less crowded that way.
PDF page 6:
  • What is 'Fodder'?
Fodder is fuel for your beasts!

Am I correct in assuming that trade is handled just like in Traveller/Cepheus Engine games? If it is, would it be possible to include the trade rules for those who don't have CE/Traveller?

Yeah, I'll add in the trade rules.
Fox - Beware of Lies

Thunderegg Productions