Mindjammer Traveller released Jan 11

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
heron61
Mongoose

Mindjammer Traveller released Jan 11

Postby heron61 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:21 pm

I'm just letting people here know that Mindjammer: Traveller (the Mindjammer setting, using the Traveller 2e rules) will be available at Modiphius.net and DriveThru tomorrow, Wed 11 Jan.

Mindjammer: Traveller requires the Traveller 2e corebook to use, and if you want to create new ships, it also requires High Guard 2e. It's also a lovely 392 page book that I'm exceptionally proud of having written the rules for.
legozhodani
Banded Mongoose

Re: Mindjammer Traveller released Jan 11

Postby legozhodani » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:29 pm

What is mindjammer? I'm not up on much RPG stuff these days. Traveller, RQ and Cthulhu are my extent these days.
heron61
Mongoose

Postby heron61 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:38 pm

legozhodani wrote:What is mindjammer? I'm not up on much RPG stuff these days. Traveller, RQ and Cthulhu are my extent these days.
Here's a free preview on drivethru (this preview is for the FATE version, not the version using the Traveller rules), but the setting info is the same) http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/126 ... EE-PREVIEW

The short form is if you took a mixture of Iain M. Banks Culture novels and Cordwainer Smith's Instrumentality of Mankind series filtered through modern space opera, Mindjammer is what you'd get
EwanS
Cub

Postby EwanS » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:58 pm

Will it be getting released as PDF only or will a hard copy be available.
heron61
Mongoose

Postby heron61 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:23 pm

EwanS wrote:Will it be getting released as PDF only or will a hard copy be available.
It will be available both as a PDF and as a print book. I'm told only the PDF will available from Drivethru, and you'll need to go to the Modiphius website to order the print book (which I'm also told will include a complimentary PDF).
Grazelander
Stoat

Postby Grazelander » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:18 pm

I rate this setting highly and am so glad it came to Traveller. I feel it's the breath of fresh air Traveller gas needed for a while. I already had fate based version and although I don't like the Fate system but found the setting intriguing and an endless source of ideas. The production values are very high with generally much better, setting specific art than many Traveller books, alien aliens and star mapping while Traveller-like was still distinct. This is definitely a recommended purchase and will be one of the best RPG books for me this year I'm sure......and kudos to Heron 61 on the writing, more please :D
heron61
Mongoose

Postby heron61 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:05 am

Grazelander wrote:I rate this setting highly and am so glad it came to Traveller. I feel it's the breath of fresh air Traveller gas needed for a while. I already had fate based version and although I don't like the Fate system but found the setting intriguing and an endless source of ideas. The production values are very high with generally much better, setting specific art than many Traveller books, alien aliens and star mapping while Traveller-like was still distinct. This is definitely a recommended purchase and will be one of the best RPG books for me this year I'm sure......and kudos to Heron 61 on the writing, more please :D
Thank you muchly for the kind words, if sales are good, there will be Mindjammer: Traveller supplements. I have both a tech book (including both new tech and Traveller write-ups of all the ships and tech in the various Mindjammer FATE supplements), and also a book on playing aliens.
heron61
Mongoose

Postby heron61 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:05 am

Grazelander wrote:I rate this setting highly and am so glad it came to Traveller. I feel it's the breath of fresh air Traveller gas needed for a while. I already had fate based version and although I don't like the Fate system but found the setting intriguing and an endless source of ideas. The production values are very high with generally much better, setting specific art than many Traveller books, alien aliens and star mapping while Traveller-like was still distinct. This is definitely a recommended purchase and will be one of the best RPG books for me this year I'm sure......and kudos to Heron 61 on the writing, more please :D
Thank you muchly for the kind words, if sales are good, there will be Mindjammer: Traveller supplements. I have both a tech book (including both new tech and Traveller write-ups of all the ships and tech in the various Mindjammer FATE supplements), and also a book on playing aliens.
saxumcaribet
Cub

Postby saxumcaribet » Sat May 20, 2017 3:25 pm

heron61 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:05 am
I'm intrigued by the idea of Mindjammer - it's (even) more high-tech than pure Trav... and having Trav rules for it is very attractive.
Since you worked on it, you must be aware how much difference there is between the two variants, and hence how compatible the FATE supplements are for the Mindjammer Trav rules.
Can you give any hints, or tips for those contemplating a merge?

(Or should someone wanting Mindjammer + supplements just knuckle under an go with FATE? :( )
heron61
Mongoose

Postby heron61 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:00 pm

saxumcaribet wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 3:25 pm
I'm intrigued by the idea of Mindjammer - it's (even) more high-tech than pure Trav... and having Trav rules for it is very attractive.

Since you worked on it, you must be aware how much difference there is between the two variants, and hence how compatible the FATE supplements are for the Mindjammer Trav rules.

Can you give any hints, or tips for those contemplating a merge?

(Or should someone wanting Mindjammer + supplements just knuckle under an go with FATE? :( )
Most of any scenario can be used as is - in converting the Dominion Quickstart from FATE to Traveller, I found only 2 major changes - the first is obviously converting the characters and NPCs, since chargen is entirely different. The other is opposition in combat - Traveller has no equivalent of minor characters - any opponent with a weapon can kill your character, so the size of the opposition will need to be considerably reduced, and in any single combat, the number of opponents should not be much larger than the PC group unless the PCs have a notable advantage (such as considerably higher tech and better weapons and armor). Other than than those changes, if you know Traveller at least moderately well, converting scenarios is pretty easy.
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Sat May 20, 2017 11:37 pm

Favourable review Traveller: Mindjammer found here:

http://www.therpgsite.com/showthread.ph ... -Traveller
Outtasight!
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Vancouver, where the rainbow ends/Oxford, occasionally, in an ivory tower

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Sun May 21, 2017 12:24 am

I have to say that this is "Modern" Traveller. It takes the game out and beyond the 1970's "retro" rut it had gotten into due to the 3rd Imperium setting.

I like it a terrific amount.
The desire for a "definitive, ultimate answer" is, in fact, classified by modern psychiatric medicine as a mental illness.
vargr1
Stoat

Postby vargr1 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:02 am

Lord High Munchkin wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 12:24 am
I have to say that this is "Modern" Traveller. It takes the game out and beyond the 1970's "retro" rut it had gotten into due to the 3rd Imperium setting.

I like it a terrific amount.

Agreed completely. I have both the Fate version and the Traveller version of Mindjammer.

What I want is use Mindjammer to run a game in the Third Imperium. I'm starting up a new Traveller campaign shortly, and - according to the players that want to play - I may just do that. Some of my players like a more crunchy ruleset than Fate provides.
Sigtrygg
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Sigtrygg » Sun May 21, 2017 6:44 am

Ever since T5 went to kickstarter MWM was hinting at moving the OTU setting on a bit to the year Imperial Year 1900 and a setting known as the Galaxiad.

This is where the Essaray (note the spelling Mongoose) first get a mention.

Then a year or so ago MWM turned the OTU on its head with his historical (from a 4I perspective) Agent of the Imperium novel. Transhumanism, weird alien threats, makers, clone families - and yet it was still a familiar feel to the 3I if that makes sense.

In the absence of the Galaxiad I think Mindjammer can be an excellent far far far future setting, you could have the remnants of the Imperium in some backward spiral arm.
Or for the true heretic - use Mindjammer to detail the 3I core sectors, the high tech wonders that would make the average frontier dwelling Spinward Marcher lapse into future shock.