ATV and AFV

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

ATV and AFV

Postby wbnc » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:36 pm

I did a couple of tries at these a while back.

the two vehicles share some features.
The suspension is adjustable and allows the vehicle to squat flat against teh ground, or crank the suspension up for improved cross country clearance. the ries would not be air filled, Instead it has an internal honeycomb of open spaces to allow the tires to absorb impacts without being deflated by small arms fire. Each wheel is independently powered by high-density electric drives which also function as brakes. as long as at least one wheel motor is still functioning it can limp home after taking damage.

the AFV has no external windows instead it uses vision blocks for the driver and two optics equipped sensor packs one for he driver, one for the commander, and a gunsight linked to the autocannon. and hatches in the upper hull, and a drop ramp at the rear of the AFV.

-Daniel-
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: ATV and AFV

Postby -Daniel- » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:21 pm

I like them, very nice look.

On the AFV I would show some sort of protection for the struts holding the tires. Looks like an obvious target for the AT Missiles. Otherwise, I like them. :D
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jame Rowe » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:43 pm

I like these, especially the AFV.
-Daniel- wrote:I like them, very nice look.

On the AFV I would show some sort of protection for the struts holding the tires. Looks like an obvious target for the AT Missiles. Otherwise, I like them. :D
Yes, definitely. And the gun could have a turret.
"Are you in charge here?"
"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

Baron Damascaa Kiikiigulii/Sakhag/Antares. Deal with it - come visit!
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Infojunky » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:18 am

Too Wide, lots Too Wide....
Evyn
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:55 am

Depends on the roads, or how much space Mother Nature gives you.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:33 am

For the AFV you need to bring the wheels in close to the body. Look the LAV-25 to see an example. If that is meant to travel down roads it needs to be the width of a single lane. In peacetime it has to share the road with everybody else.

But the ATV, meant for exploration, wouldn't necessarily have that issue. The only issue with width then would be transporting it.
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:29 am

valid points one and all..however if any of those points should be a deal breaker when considering vehicles to deploy drop these guys instead.

need something even lighter....
this one has a multi shot RPG launcher machine gun and Plasma gun.....not as much antivehicle firepower but it will sure mess up an insurgent riding around in his hodge-podge technical.

and if that is still to big....

A one size fits all vehicle purchasing plan is a disaster waiting to happen so I imagine a force that operates in as many environments and situations as the Imperium has to deal with will have a rather deep stable. The guy in charge of ground forces, or marines in a sector would have vehicles available for anything he might have to respond to in is area of operations. depending on the likelihood of that particular contingency the numbers may vary but he would have a lot to choose from out of the imperial database.

fighting insurgents on Jewel would require a vastly different set of gear and vehicles compared to taking out pirate enclaves on some backwater like Plaven.

ya know guys I love it when you guys hit me with good critiques...makes me think :D and since to alter a model I don't have to start from scratch or may have something I can use laying around on the old hard drive :D

at some point, I will put these to use. For now its the most valuable thing I can do..practice practice practice :D
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Infojunky » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:05 am

The second set of Pictures looks better.

Note the wide stance of the 1st picture would lead to a very jittery and unstable ride for the vehicle. There is actually a length to width ratio that describes the ride characteristics, for which I can't find a simple reference right now....
Evyn
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:28 am

Infojunky wrote:The second set of Pictures looks better.

Note the wide stance of the 1st picture would lead to a very jittery and unstable ride for the vehicle. There is actually a length to width ratio that describes the ride characteristics, for which I can't find a simple reference right now....
That would be great information to have:D

I like to examine current vehicles to try and gert approximate proportions. When you are working from an eyeball design stance you get things that are a bit wonky at times. Of course, sometimes a bit of wonkiness is what you're after visually...

the if it looks right it flies right rule tends to be a good guideline but it doesn't exactly translate to ground vehicles as reliably.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:51 am

For tanks it's one point five to one point eight.
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Infojunky » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:28 am

wbnc wrote:
Infojunky wrote:The second set of Pictures looks better.

That would be great information to have:D
I have been looking through the library all night. Now I can find the a whole shelf full of references on satellite based instruments and other remote sensing topics... But nothing on Automotive design, it may be in a mate's garage. Which is the site of most of our automotive misadventures.....
Evyn
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:24 pm

Stability is where the centre of gravity rests in relation to vehicle, or install gyrostabilizers.
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:19 am

Condottiere wrote:Stability is where the centre of gravity rests in relation to vehicle, or install gyrostabilizers.
Or Adaptive computer synchronized active suspension.

some vehicles are designed to be slightly unstable to enhance various traits. The old 3 wheeled ATV were one such vehicle. they had an odd center of balance to allow them to have better rugged terrain performance. Unfortunately, the people riding them didn't seem to understand they couldn't ride them like bicycles or cars..and they let kids drive them... a high performance racing bike has a much different set up than a Cruiser or "hog" which makes hem more unstable but more capable of sharp turns and rapid shifts in position.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:18 pm

wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:31 pm

Condottiere wrote:Image
that is one of the most practical and space efficient designs of an armored fighting vehicle in SCIFI. the Turret can drop back onto the tail of the vehicle to allow it to fit into low overhead cargo holds and its hull. te only thing I ever scratched my head about was that its selfdefense weapons, the twin mini-guns up front...have a very limited arc of fire.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:35 pm

It's the please get out of the way frontal assault gun.
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:05 pm

Condottiere wrote:It's the please get out of the way frontal assault gun.
I guess so, although I doubt the marines would be so polite in their verbiage. Ideally, I'd like to have at least 180 degrees arc on a close in weapon at a minimum...just to keep those smart guys with Shoulder fired anti-vehicle weapons from slinking a little to my side and firing at me whenI cant shoot back.
-Daniel-
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby -Daniel- » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:09 pm

wbnc wrote: that is one of the most practical and space efficient designs of an armored fighting vehicle in SCIFI. the Turret can drop back onto the tail of the vehicle to allow it to fit into low overhead cargo holds and its hull. te only thing I ever scratched my head about was that its selfdefense weapons, the twin mini-guns up front...have a very limited arc of fire.
I always liked the idea of replacing the forward gun turret with the quad vertical launch tubes.

wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:59 am

-Daniel- wrote:
wbnc wrote: that is one of the most practical and space efficient designs of an armored fighting vehicle in SCIFI. the Turret can drop back onto the tail of the vehicle to allow it to fit into low overhead cargo holds and its hull. te only thing I ever scratched my head about was that its selfdefense weapons, the twin mini-guns up front...have a very limited arc of fire.
I always liked the idea of replacing the forward gun turret with the quad vertical launch tubes.

that's a more effective anti-infantry version .....And quad 20m miniguns...eeeeshhhhh. that would chew through several feet of concrete ins short order. against infantry in the open....ummm CSI would have a hard time finding a usable sample to identify.

personally, I'd go with twin 50 caliber miniguns, and twin 40 mm launchers...that way you can crank the 40mm launchers up and provide sustained rapid fire indirect fire support. yeah, I like tinkering with guns and weapons systems. call it a hobby.
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Infojunky » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:57 am

wbnc wrote: te only thing I ever scratched my head about was that its selfdefense weapons, the twin mini-guns up front...have a very limited arc of fire.
My big issue is the twin rotary guns, 4 times the chance of failure for less than 10% increase in firepower.
Evyn