Starfinder RPG

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 7238
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Re: Starfinder RPG

Postby Condottiere » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:36 pm

Custer can be termed ambitious and over enthusiastic, especially during the War of Northern Aggression, but he may be more guilty of operating on false assumptions when he stuck his neck into the hornet's nest of Little Bighorn, and a need to prevent the escape of the gathered tribes, of which he severely underestimated the number of warriors.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 4233
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:57 pm

Re: Starfinder RPG

Postby AndrewW » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:33 pm

Condottiere wrote:Custer can be termed ambitious and over enthusiastic, especially during the War of Northern Aggression, but he may be more guilty of operating on false assumptions when he stuck his neck into the hornet's nest of Little Bighorn, and a need to prevent the escape of the gathered tribes, of which he severely underestimated the number of warriors.
Lack of correct information, not only on the 'enemy' but also regarding the presence of other troops.
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 7238
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Re: Starfinder RPG

Postby Condottiere » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:58 pm

Custer is an interesting case in the lead up to Little Bighorn, because he knew he needed a fast task force that can overwhelm his objective.

I think the result surprised everyone, and Custer would appear to have been overwhelmed by events, before he could reconsolidate his command.
Chumbly
Stoat
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:41 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Starfinder RPG

Postby Chumbly » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:07 am

Condottiere wrote:Custer can be termed ambitious and over enthusiastic, especially during the War of Northern Aggression, but he may be more guilty of operating on false assumptions when he stuck his neck into the hornet's nest of Little Bighorn, and a need to prevent the escape of the gathered tribes, of which he severely underestimated the number of warriors.

Watched an interesting Battlefield Detective show a few years back where they did the ground bullet analysis .. turns out that Custer and his troops were the technologically
inferior force on the battlefield besides being outnumbered. The Sioux and Cheyenne were largely armed with Henry Repeating rifles, which had been sold and given in
large numbers to them(for purposes of hunting the buffalo of course :wink: ). Custer troops were armed with Sharp Mini-ball carbine rifles(muzzle loading),
The rate of fire differences was astounding.. the Native American side was getting off about 5 shots for every US trooper round, and there were a lot more Native American
warriors. Battlefield archeological analysis indicated that Custer troops were enfiladed on the flank (Captain Keogh's company) and rolled up to last stand hill. He broke the standard US Army doctrine
by leaving his 2 Gatling guns behind.. He had great disdain for the weapons.. thought they were unfair, and slowed him down. US Army doctrine was to have 1 gatling
gun on each flank, to prevent exactly the flanking enfilade that occurred.

chumbly

(Boy we are sure off topic loving these days... for a science fiction game website..there is a whole lot of talking about Custer and Capone...)
My attempt to put them back on topic.. Custer and Capone were both human transplantees located on Terra as an experiment by Yaskodray. :roll:
Tom Kalbfus
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2521
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:56 pm

Re: Starfinder RPG

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:36 am

Chumbly wrote:
Condottiere wrote:Custer can be termed ambitious and over enthusiastic, especially during the War of Northern Aggression, but he may be more guilty of operating on false assumptions when he stuck his neck into the hornet's nest of Little Bighorn, and a need to prevent the escape of the gathered tribes, of which he severely underestimated the number of warriors.

Watched an interesting Battlefield Detective show a few years back where they did the ground bullet analysis .. turns out that Custer and his troops were the technologically
inferior force on the battlefield besides being outnumbered. The Sioux and Cheyenne were largely armed with Henry Repeating rifles, which had been sold and given in
large numbers to them(for purposes of hunting the buffalo of course :wink: ). Custer troops were armed with Sharp Mini-ball carbine rifles(muzzle loading),
The rate of fire differences was astounding.. the Native American side was getting off about 5 shots for every US trooper round, and there were a lot more Native American
warriors. Battlefield archeological analysis indicated that Custer troops were enfiladed on the flank (Captain Keogh's company) and rolled up to last stand hill. He broke the standard US Army doctrine
by leaving his 2 Gatling guns behind.. He had great disdain for the weapons.. thought they were unfair, and slowed him down. US Army doctrine was to have 1 gatling
gun on each flank, to prevent exactly the flanking enfilade that occurred.

chumbly

(Boy we are sure off topic loving these days... for a science fiction game website..there is a whole lot of talking about Custer and Capone...)
My attempt to put them back on topic.. Custer and Capone were both human transplantees located on Terra as an experiment by Yaskodray. :roll:
What if Custer found a portable wormhole at an Indian burial ground, and managed to escape certain death at the Battle of the Little Big Horn by stepping through it. What would Custer do if he found himself in the Third Imperium? You think he would adapt?
-Daniel-
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Posts: 2317
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:20 pm
Location: Burbank, CA

Re: Starfinder RPG

Postby -Daniel- » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:43 am

Tom Kalbfus wrote:Image
is this a 19th century Leroy Jenkins?
Yes
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 7238
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Re: Starfinder RPG

Postby Condottiere » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:30 am

I couldn't say if Custer was a brilliant military commander, but he seems a capable cavalry one.

Logistics may have been an issue, which seems one reason militaries have a preference for single shot rifles in that era, and the Gatling seemed guzzlers, besides slowing down the column.
Chumbly
Stoat
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:41 am
Location: Arizona

Re: Starfinder RPG

Postby Chumbly » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:51 am

Tom Kalbfus wrote:
Chumbly wrote:
Condottiere wrote:Custer can be termed ambitious and over enthusiastic, especially during the War of Northern Aggression, but he may be more guilty of operating on false assumptions when he stuck his neck into the hornet's nest of Little Bighorn, and a need to prevent the escape of the gathered tribes, of which he severely underestimated the number of warriors.

Watched an interesting Battlefield Detective show a few years back where they did the ground bullet analysis .. turns out that Custer and his troops were the technologically
inferior force on the battlefield besides being outnumbered. The Sioux and Cheyenne were largely armed with Henry Repeating rifles, which had been sold and given in
large numbers to them(for purposes of hunting the buffalo of course :wink: ). Custer troops were armed with Sharp Mini-ball carbine rifles(muzzle loading),
The rate of fire differences was astounding.. the Native American side was getting off about 5 shots for every US trooper round, and there were a lot more Native American
warriors. Battlefield archeological analysis indicated that Custer troops were enfiladed on the flank (Captain Keogh's company) and rolled up to last stand hill. He broke the standard US Army doctrine
by leaving his 2 Gatling guns behind.. He had great disdain for the weapons.. thought they were unfair, and slowed him down. US Army doctrine was to have 1 gatling
gun on each flank, to prevent exactly the flanking enfilade that occurred.

chumbly

(Boy we are sure off topic loving these days... for a science fiction game website..there is a whole lot of talking about Custer and Capone...)
My attempt to put them back on topic.. Custer and Capone were both human transplantees located on Terra as an experiment by Yaskodray. :roll:
What if Custer found a portable wormhole at an Indian burial ground, and managed to escape certain death at the Battle of the Little Big Horn by stepping through it. What would Custer do if he found himself in the Third Imperium? You think he would adapt?
Becks World 2204 Regina Subsector Imp 1106.175(June 24 Solomani) 5th Frontier War=> Little HornedSheep River Valley
7th Imperial Lift Cav Regiment in action against 40th Squadron (Vargr Nation) 48th Armored Division
They died with their Grav Boots On Gary Owen

Chumbly
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 4233
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:57 pm

Re: Starfinder RPG

Postby AndrewW » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:05 am

Condottiere wrote:Logistics may have been an issue, which seems one reason militaries have a preference for single shot rifles in that era, and the Gatling seemed guzzlers, besides slowing down the column.
Made general in the Civil War, but reverted back to his previous rank after.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 3412
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:03 pm

Re: Starfinder RPG

Postby Reynard » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:20 pm

Is Custer part of an upcoming scifi RPG based in a fantasy universe?
Tom Kalbfus
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 2521
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:56 pm

Re: Starfinder RPG

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:20 pm

Reynard wrote:Is Custer part of an upcoming scifi RPG based in a fantasy universe?
There's no reason why not. Removing him from history just before his supposed death doesn't change things much, so his body is never found, big deal!
Condottiere
Chief Mongoose
Posts: 7238
Joined: Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Re: Starfinder RPG

Postby Condottiere » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:13 pm

Custer certainly was bucking for command, and needed a pretty good resume in order to jump in front of the queue of more senior officers in a rather shrunken military.

Being successor to the Union cavalry, they certainly knew about the force multiplier effect of repeating carbines, having used them against the Confederates.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests