Imperial Corpsman

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
-Daniel-
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Imperial Corpsman

Postby -Daniel- » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:42 pm

If you are going to make an Imperial Corpsman, what career would you start with?
AnotherDilbert
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Imperial Corpsman

Postby AnotherDilbert » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:31 am

If you mean military medic then Army & Marine has medic skill in the Support skill list. In the Navy you have to go to College first.

In general I would say that it is not possible to control the generation of a character in that detail. You roll some dice and see where you end up.
alex_greene
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby alex_greene » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:44 am

If my experience of writing for Dogs of War is correct, translated into Traveller it should be:-

Pre-career education, term 1
Go for Medic 1, Science 0.

Assuming the dice are with you all the way and you gain graduation with honours, increase to Medic 2, Science (Biology) 1.

Graduation grants a DM +1 (+2 if with honours) to your first career, which must be Navy. For goodness' sakes, take advantage of the offer of a pre-career commission, so you enter the Navy as an O1 Officer.

Choose Line/Crew and serve with distinction. Stay there long enough to gain a rank, and then quit that job and apply for a Marine job, with the Support assignment.

If your Education is high enough, you can use the Advanced Education table to try and gain further Medic skill; otherwise, the Support assignment skills table is the only other table there which has Medic.
Board moderator. Product List [DriveThruRPG]: Blood Path [Legend]; Cosmopolite [Traveller]; Castrobancla [Traveller]
-Daniel-
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby -Daniel- » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:46 pm

AnotherDilbert wrote: In general I would say that it is not possible to control the generation of a character in that detail. You roll some dice and see where you end up.
I do agree, without GM help, it is not possible to control it 100%. But you can make choices that will improve your odds. If I want a gun bunny I pick Marine or if I want a pilot I pick Navy. You are right it's not a garentee, but I'll take the % increase though. :-)