Rethinking

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
JMISBEST
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Rethinking

Postby JMISBEST » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:05 am

Hi guys

I have been rethinking the size of my uber-empire, here is what I am toying with. What do you think

24 sectors each with between 96,000 and 122,900 worlds or a total of around 2,815,400 worlds in total, only initially roughly 38.14% of which could initially support life, but thanks to TL 21 Terraforming experiments done to create garden worlds to produce food, drink and other similiar stuff feed their race and conquered races that has risen to 70.38.% and they now control around 11,770 sentient and natural species around 3.3 times that in Uplifted, Ancient Modified and modified by themselves races

What do you think of them now. I am also ditching the 4 other major and 13 minor nations, keeping their ships sizes at roughly the same, lowering their TL by 1 or 2 in all area's and making them +2 Str, but -2 Dex and +1 SS in their own territories, -3 SS outside of their own territories, raising the age they start aging at to 10 terms, but after that they suffer a aging effect equal to a minus number of 1D6, halved, rounded up, minus the number of terms served past 10 and uses Human Homeworld Skills, but can take Leadership, but it takes up 3 slots. What do you think of those attempts to balance my new race?
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Rethinking

Postby phavoc » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:00 pm

The scale is... pretty big! Far larger than you really need for a gaming environment.

You may want to think about downsizing to say just 16 sectors (like the Spinward Marches). A star system is huge, and most Traveller adventures ignore the fact that there are numerous other stations, moons and planets in a system beyond the primary starport. So your uber empire may span say 4 or 6 of the subsectors, and then your other smaller empires can be multi-system or even span an entire subsector of their own.

By downsizing this you actually make it possible for your PC's to be able to realistically travel from one side to the other within a reasonable amount of time. And it still gives you the opportunity to create multiple types of governments, and even a few other sophont races (though you'd need to have some sort of background story to explain how many different races could be so close to one another... or not. space is all about the mystery right?).

Plus, just think of the reduced administrative headaches!
Solomani666
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Solomani666 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:44 pm

Suggestion:
If you are going to have a running update on your universe creation than I suggest that you use a title with the name of your universe/campaign/etc. or at the very least have a link to your other posts.
-Daniel-
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby -Daniel- » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:36 pm

Solomani666 wrote:Suggestion:
If you are going to have a running update on your universe creation than I suggest that you use a title with the name of your universe/campaign/etc. or at the very least have a link to your other posts.
Or limit the updates to the same thread so anyone who wants can read the history of the development. :wink: