Finally: Traveller Trading Tool

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
markus_d
Stoat

Re: Finally: Traveller Trading Tool

Postby markus_d » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:45 pm

The Problem with Browsers loosing the session has been fixed.
markus_d
Stoat

Postby markus_d » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:57 pm

We added a delete function.
The tool creates save tables for wares etc. to make sure you can ask for prices etc. only once a week. All dice rolls needed to create the page are saved in it. So reloading the page will display the same results.
This tables could not be deleted so far.
In the new screen you can delete all that tables.
But be careful. It also deletes all bought waren, loaded passengers etc. of the deleted date.

Enjoy.

-Daniel-
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby -Daniel- » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:44 pm

So it is more of a "clear all" button then?
markus_d
Stoat

Postby markus_d » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:19 am

Yes. Eliminates simply everything to one date.
Wording could be changed.
markus_d
Stoat

Postby markus_d » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:09 pm

No more known bugs left.
Please keep on reporting them.

And new needed features are also welcome.
golem64
Shrew

Postby golem64 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:59 pm

Love this tool. Great work. Can't wait to use it in play. I know my players love to roll themselves for trade. Any chance to add manual input for dice rolls.
markus_d
Stoat

Postby markus_d » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:59 am

What I would like to implement is to make everything the tool created editable afterwards.
This would also give the referee and the players the option to roll themselves if they want to.
golem64
Shrew

Postby golem64 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:22 pm

That would be great, Markus. In terms of on-going playability, it would be nice if it remembered the date as you buy and sell. For example, my Travellers would fill their hold and berths on Tobia, after taking three days to find a supplier and passengers going to Pichot. They might stay on another few days to complete a job before jumping to Pichot. I'd like to be able to add those days before clicking the Selling button which takes me to the Selling page for Pichot. Your system would calculate the Jump time (148+6d6 hours) and add it to the pre-filled Date field on the Buying page. Again,the option for players or referee to roll this would be great.
markus_d
Stoat

Postby markus_d » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:42 am

The tool will not be able to handle the whole time of your campaign, but it remembers the last time you bought and sold wares.
This is set as the starting date when entering buying and selling screens.
When you need an extra delay you have to adjust the date manually. We have buttons to advance 1 day or 7 days.

So calculating jump time is up to the referee, but it does calculate the time it takes to find a supplier (buyer) with different timespans depending on type (computer based, normal, black market).
Last edited by markus_d on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
golem64
Shrew

Postby golem64 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:30 pm

I definitely used the date tools and the trade auto calculation, but the dates weren't carrying forward consistently. I will try it again and post some screenshots of the process for clarity.
markus_d
Stoat

Postby markus_d » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:59 am

We use the tool in our campaign since some months now.
Its not considered beta anymore.
markus_d
Stoat

Postby markus_d » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:53 am

I forgot to tell the users one important thing!

What the tool does not do is check if you find a buyer/seller.
That is what the gamemaster still has to do with all modifiers and roleplaying. And the player has to make the roll.
The player has to decide if he looks for an online buyer, black market buyer etc. But this is only important for the time it takes to find one.

The tool will always display goods to buy and will always sell evertything in the cargo hold of the ship if the trader wants that. With varying prices of course.

So e.g. when a planet has only very few inhabitants the gamemaster has to tell the players that nothing can be bought or sold here. Then the freights and passengers will be sold but the tons for speculative wares
has to be set to 0 manually!

We also handle it like its possible that one cannot sell everything of one good on one planet. The rules do not say anything about that but we think on a planet that has very few inhabitants one cannot sell e.g. 40 t of raw materials.
So the gamemaster as to tell the trader the maximum number of tons that can be sold.
Last edited by markus_d on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluekieran
Mongoose

Postby bluekieran » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:56 am

markus_d wrote:We use the tool in our campaign since some months now.
Its not considered beta anymore.
Do you plan to allow people to sign up for accounts, in that case? I'd love to try it out but it still seems to require a login.
markus_d
Stoat

Postby markus_d » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:53 am

Not for now.
I will handpick the players I give accounts to.

In the future I maybe write a screen for automatic account registration, but I have to prevent bots and stuff so this is time consuming :(
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:46 pm

So is this only speculative trading or does it also do freight and passengers?
markus_d
Stoat

Postby markus_d » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:28 am

It also handles freights, passengers and mail transport.
steve98052
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby steve98052 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:03 am

markus_d wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:28 am
It also handles freights, passengers and mail transport.
Cool! In cases of freight, does it include special handling characteristics? For example, the rate for perishable cargo should be higher because it can't be delayed (but obviously it has to be able to last at least long enough for an uncomplicated delivery). Fragile, temperature sensitive, etc. are another category. Dangerous cargo is worth a lot extra, but requires someone certified for the type of cargo (biohazard, radioactive, explosive, etc.) Livestock are another special case.

There are also cargoes that have special legal characteristics -- licensing required, legal but subject to hassles, contraband but usually tolerated, completely contraband, etc.

Another special case is special delivery characteristics. Normally, the freight is the ship's responsibility from the point that it arrives at the loading dock to the point that it's delivered to the destination loading dock, if the ship does its own loading and unloading, or from the point when the forklift sets it in the cargo hold to the point when the destination forklift lifts it, if the ship relies on port hauling crew. But other cases are starport warehouses, the starport boundary line, a place outside but near the starport, and even distant locations. There are differences between high ports and down ports.

Finally, there are weird cases: mislabeled cargo (trying to ship something at a cheaper rate). But those might best be left for left to game master rules only.

Maybe all that is not present in this edition. In that case.. never mind the rest.
Last edited by steve98052 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
markus_d
Stoat

Postby markus_d » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:39 am

Of course the tool handles all that!!!

We even included AI to handle simply everything that could come up in a roleplaying game.
It could replace the gamemaster completely :D
markus_d
Stoat

Postby markus_d » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:07 am

The bug that the session got lost after changing the password has been fixed.
markus_d
Stoat

Postby markus_d » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:16 am

The cleanup function has been improved.
Some fragments could not be removed. Now everyhing (even input errors and dead links) is displayed and can be deleted.