Art:200 Ton Free trader

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Art:200 Ton Free trader

Postby wbnc » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:20 pm

Okay, I am definitely not In Rob Caswells league but thought I'd give it a shot.

Tweaked the proportions a bit and tried to give it a little "sportier" look. Still not quite happy with the dorsal passenger area. it doesn't quite flow as nicely as I wanted it to...
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: Art:200 Ton Free trader

Postby wbnc » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:39 pm

well that was easy to fix, had to tweak the Dorsal hump to flow a little better and tried out a new color.
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jame Rowe » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:59 pm

Not quite what I imagined the exhaust port to look like.
Otherwise, well done, and keep going!

(I'd want to see a PF Sloan with a couple of small craft, a Chrysanthemum and a Type T if you take requests. :) )
"Are you in charge here?"
"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

Baron Damascaa Kiikiigulii/Sakhag/Antares. Deal with it - come visit!
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Infojunky » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:06 pm

It's so Flat.....
Evyn
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Infojunky » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:06 pm

It's so Flat.....
Evyn
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:11 pm

Jame Rowe wrote:Not quite what I imagined the exhaust port to look like.

(I'd want to see a PF Sloan with a couple of small craft, a Chrysanthemum and a Type T if you take requests. :) )
if you can get me refrence pic I'll try anything.

All of this is practice for me. I try to work on something every day. By worign on different ships i have to improve on various triks. The Type is definately on my to do list. Those bug eyes on the front are going to give me a headache, rounded shapes give me a fit
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:13 pm

Infojunky wrote:It's so Flat.....
Yeah , a little flat.compared to the originals.
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jame Rowe » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:49 pm

wbnc wrote:

if you can get me refrence pic I'll try anything.

All of this is practice for me. I try to work on something every day. By worign on different ships i have to improve on various triks. The Type is definately on my to do list. Those bug eyes on the front are going to give me a headache, rounded shapes give me a fit
Here is one for the PF Sloan: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/154396 ... trike-trav
Here is one for the Chrysanthemum: http://www.skaran.net/bannerscampaign/e ... hemum.html
"Are you in charge here?"
"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

Baron Damascaa Kiikiigulii/Sakhag/Antares. Deal with it - come visit!
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:59 pm

It looks nice, but agreed that some of the proportions are off. The 'wing' areas are wider than normal, and it appears that the engines are located in them. Almost like an air-breathing version.

However, if you thickened up the body a bit, you could leave it as is and have it as a variant of the Beowulf, say with the engines actually being in the sponsoons and a rear cargo loading area. I'm sure there have to be a number of customized variants of the ship floating around Traveller space.
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:23 am

phavoc wrote:It looks nice, but agreed that some of the proportions are off. The 'wing' areas are wider than normal, and it appears that the engines are located in them. Almost like an air-breathing version.

However, if you thickened up the body a bit, you could leave it as is and have it as a variant of the Beowulf, say with the engines actually being in the sponsoons and a rear cargo loading area. I'm sure there have to be a number of customized variants of the ship floating around Traveller space.
Okay fattened up the body a bit and cme up with this result

it looks more like the classic version with the thicker hull.

The thinner one could be a different model, less cargo space with same size engines for increased performance...a high-speed courier or transport/business yact version perhaps

the great thing about having a complete model is that I can alter them fairly quickly without starting from scratch
Tenacious-Techhunter
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Tenacious-Techhunter » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:37 am

Personally, I liked the green one, thinness and all. Particularly the way the top subsection blends into the rest of the body.

If the thickness isn’t serving a purpose, I see no reason to include it, canon or not.
Tenacious-Techhunter
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Tenacious-Techhunter » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:45 am

Maneuver Drives in current Traveller editions have neither exhaust nor propellant. There’s nothing to be called “jetwash” (or even “drivewash”, which is a slightly more appropriate term). As such, there is no reason to have any nozzle of any kind at the back of the ship, except for compatibility with other games.
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:03 am

Tenacious-Techhunter wrote:
Maneuver Drives in current Traveller editions have neither exhaust nor propellant. There’s nothing to be called “jetwash” (or even “drivewash”, which is a slightly more appropriate term). As such, there is no reason to have any nozzle of any kind at the back of the ship, except for compatibility with other games.
If I am doing something for a setting that has purely gravitic drives I usualy tend to use a Drive Plate. instead of a exhaust cone.

in my own setting the drives ork by crating a wall f mocroscopic expansions in space time ...they are short lived and dissipate rapidly so they have to be created near a reinfroced plate that all of the little bubbles can push against. the dirves rapidly cyckle creating a new set of expanding bubbles just as the first set "pops" ..that creates "thrust" and generates a noticable distortion as the ship passes giving them a slight wake of turbulance as timespace restores itself to nromal. Not 100% pratical, or probabale but I have never liked the idea of shooting out streams of gravitons/ or heavy Boson, or what ever particle it is that is used by some drives.
Tenacious-Techhunter wrote:Personally, I liked the green one, thinness and all. Particularly the way the top subsection blends into the rest of the body.

If the thickness isn’t serving a purpose, I see no reason to include it, canon or not.
I as thinking about that as I made the changes to see what the visual impact was....it's fun to tinker just for the heck of it sometimes.

on the original deck plans the fuel tankage is in the sponsors to either side of the hull and the drives are at the rear of the main hull. By shifting the engineering spaces into the sponsons, and using the dead space under the cargo deck as tankage you can create an open space at the rear of the hull for a large cargo ramp. The canon design has a cargo elevator in the floor of the cargo deck, which means you need a set of lending gear high enough to allow cargo to be moved under the ship. and you cant load anything bigger than the lift. Using the "belly" and other deadspace created by the hull shape for tankage would give more at the rear of the ship for cargo hatches...or thats one way to look at it.
Tenacious-Techhunter
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Tenacious-Techhunter » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:10 am

So long as you’re thinking. :)
wbnc
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby wbnc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:54 am

Tenacious-Techhunter wrote:So long as you’re thinking. :)
I try to avoid the rule of cool in my stuff. If it looks good, I try to make sure it has at least a minor amount of method behind the madness.
Sigtrygg
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Sigtrygg » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:39 am

I like the new look, closer to 200t proportions than the old version.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:49 am

wbnc wrote:
phavoc wrote:It looks nice, but agreed that some of the proportions are off. The 'wing' areas are wider than normal, and it appears that the engines are located in them. Almost like an air-breathing version.

Okay fattened up the body a bit and cme up with this result

it looks more like the classic version with the thicker hull.

The thinner one could be a different model, less cargo space with same size engines for increased performance...a high-speed courier or transport/business yact version perhaps

the great thing about having a complete model is that I can alter them fairly quickly without starting from scratch
You could easily call the smaller one a 100 dton version, and the fatter one is the cargo carrying model, albeit with increased tonnage.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:53 am

Tenacious-Techhunter wrote:Maneuver Drives in current Traveller editions have neither exhaust nor propellant. There’s nothing to be called “jetwash” (or even “drivewash”, which is a slightly more appropriate term). As such, there is no reason to have any nozzle of any kind at the back of the ship, except for compatibility with other games.
You keep stating this but a) it's against canon, and b) MGT still postulates turnover halfway to your destination.

Going against canon isn't a huge deal. But stating that MGT maneuver drives are magical and can be located anywhere on a vessel to produce thrust doesn't match any ship illustration or deckplan.

Where in the rules are you finding this stated thusly?
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:36 am

phavoc wrote:Going against canon isn't a huge deal. But stating that MGT maneuver drives are magical and can be located anywhere on a vessel to produce thrust doesn't match any ship illustration or deckplan.
Where does it state in the rules they have to be located at any particular place on a ship?
Sigtrygg
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Sigtrygg » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:59 am

Hmm, lets look at every one of the rulebook deck plans...

every single deck plan in the MgT2e CRB that shows the engineering space has engines with nozzles that stick out the back.

This matches the description of accelerating to halfway, turning the ship around and then decelerating for the second half of the journey.