Blacklisted Spaceships?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Hopeless
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Blacklisted Spaceships?

Postby Hopeless » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:23 pm

Be interesting if you take into account the same person who was aboard it when it went missing is the same person aboard when it was re-registered!

I assume they'd perform a medical check just to confirm the details but that's assuming they bother after all those kind of details wouldn't be readily available.
Maybe they'd decide locally and the rival attempts to overturn that decision and probably makes a stink enough that someone higher up starts paying attention and that's when the trouble starts!
FreeTrav
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby FreeTrav » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:03 pm

Ok, that does it. Someone's got to take some of the ideas from this thread and write a full-length feature adventure for Freelance Traveller. Press deadline is three days ago, but I'll let it slide if you get it to me by yesterday...
Jeff Zeitlin
Editor, Freelance Traveller
The Electronic Fan-Supported Traveller® Magazine and Resource
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:42 pm

rust2 wrote:
Hopeless wrote: Needs to be both proved that it was salvaged and someone would have to confirm the legitimacy of the current owner though would that really need someone from Core Earth turning up in person or the local Marshal checking in person?
I think that each planet, perhaps even each major starport, will have an admiralty court / maritime court (or whatever it is called locally) where a judge or team of judges handles salvage rights cases. The owner of the salvaged ship would have to prove that the salvage was legitimate and the ship was truly abandoned. Boarding and taking a ship "parked" somewhere in the absence of the legitimate owner is not a salvage but a theft. The lawyers of the other party will therefore try to prove that the ship was unmanned but not abandoned when it was discovered, and the judge(s) will then have to come to a decision.
I'd think most salvage rules would be Imperial based, though if it's within the 100D limit it's possible it would be a planetary salvage law. I can't imagine the Imperium allowing a planet to interfere with trade or commerce very much though.

Could be interesting to "prove" you came upon the pirate-looted starship legally when you might be the actual pirates.
rust2
Mongoose

Postby rust2 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:50 pm

phavoc wrote: I'd think most salvage rules would be Imperial based ...
Yes, of course, and the admiralty courts / maritime courts would of course use this Imperial law.
"Mind like parachute, functions only when open"
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:56 pm

rust2 wrote:
phavoc wrote: I'd think most salvage rules would be Imperial based ...
Yes, of course, and the admiralty courts / maritime courts would of course use this Imperial law.
I think most would. But since the Imperium isn't necessarily well-loved by every planet/government not every one would actually do so. Thumbing your collective nose at the Imperium, where you can get away with it, has got to be a time-honored tradition for many a bad dictator. And, of course, balkanized worlds may be even more messed up.
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby AndrewW » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:20 pm

FreeTrav wrote:Ok, that does it. Someone's got to take some of the ideas from this thread and write a full-length feature adventure for Freelance Traveller. Press deadline is three days ago, but I'll let it slide if you get it to me by yesterday...
Better include a write up on time travel along with it if they get it to you be yesterday.
Tenacious-Techhunter
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Tenacious-Techhunter » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:54 am

So what happens if the salvage happens to be parked on a comet, that frequently passes within 100 diameters of a planet, but not always? Whose jurisdiction is it when?
Hopeless
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hopeless » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:16 am

One game I tried running involved the characters finding a Monitor buried on an Ice World hidden by a shell of ice along with a literal graveyard of crashed spaceships.
The idea was the Naval Council had arranged the disappearance of various important people and hid their ships on this world whilst making it look like they were killed elsewhere either in the same system or in a neighbouring system.

So there's over a dozen long forgotten spaceships mostly just need to be salvaged to make a couple operational including the ship that belonged to one PCs late uncle revealing his wife had been one of those taken captive but overlooking their child who was left in a low berth capsule hidden within the ship.

The Players rescued the child I really need to go back and continue running that game if I can!