Traveller Starter Box Set - Player Input...

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
msprange
Site Admin

Traveller Starter Box Set - Player Input...

Postby msprange » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:21 pm

We are currently putting together a starter box set for Traveller, to be released a little later this year. Basically, it will have the rules of the current Core Rulebook (we were going to strip them down, but decided that would not really help anyone - plus, the original starter set did not skimp on any rules), along with a complete mini-campaign to serve as a jump off point for continuing adventures set within a currently undocumented area of the OTU.

There are possible plans to have a second box set next year (along the lines of the Expert edition of D&D) that, among other things, will continue to expand the campaign and this region of space. But we'll have to see how things go.

However, aside from the rules and the campaign, what else would you like to see in the starter set? What else could we put in that box that would be of real use to you?

All ideas welcomed!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
AndrewW
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Traveller Starter Box Set - Player Input...

Postby AndrewW » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:42 pm

Solid gold models of the ships used in the mini campaign?

Maps for that region of space.
Tay
Stoat

Postby Tay » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:40 pm

Must have Maps, both of the area of space and also some ground based maps. One or two Mini Adventures. Some decent Mongoose / Traveller branded dice maybe?
IanBruntlett
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby IanBruntlett » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:51 pm

msprange wrote:We are currently putting together a starter box set for Traveller, to be released a little later this year. Basically, it will have the rules of the current Core Rulebook (we were going to strip them down, but decided that would not really help anyone - plus, the original starter set did not skimp on any rules), along with a complete mini-campaign to serve as a jump off point for continuing adventures set within a currently undocumented area of the OTU.
Will the Traveller Starter Box set's copy of the CRB be identical both physically and in content? If not, how will it differ?
-- My writings : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://accu.org
-- Free Software Page : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntl ... e-software
Annatar Giftbringer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:02 pm

Dice, maps, (models would be nice ^^) perhaps a couple of printed character sheets..?

Having a full rulebook rather than a slimmed down one sounds like a great idea! Will it be the same edition as the regular printed book, or a softback edition, or..?
Annatar Giftbringer
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Annatar Giftbringer » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:39 pm

Ooh, how could I forget: some form of GM screen/collection of important rules & tables paper!
nats
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby nats » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:11 pm

Just look at the D&D 4th Ed Starter Set Box or the Pathfinder Box Set - they were perfect -

4no pre-gen colour character sheets + ship stats sheets
world/star maps/ship deckplans
large format reversable gridded ship deckplan/important adventure location (starport etc) for using tokens for some battles
means of recording spaceship battles (range template)
card stand up tokens for ships, characters and possibly some creatures
referees rules + equipment list
introductory short scenario and a more advanced adventure
some nice special dice

Priced around £25-30
6A6AB9, Citizen(Corporate), 8th Term, Rank 3, Cr Enough
Trade(Architecture)3, Art(3d Illustration)2, Computers2, Admin2, Leader1, Drive(Wheeled)1, Advocate1, Art(Painting)1, Flyer0
Comm(TL7), Computer(TL8), Binoculars(TL6), Tent(TL7), Ground Car(TL7)
hivemindx
Stoat

Postby hivemindx » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:31 pm

An index. You don't even have to put a lot of effort in to it, just take what your software autogenerates, spend an hour tweaking it and stick it on a single or double sheet. You should make it available online too.
legozhodani
Banded Mongoose

Postby legozhodani » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:50 pm

Moon on a stick.
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby phavoc » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:05 pm

Definitely don't strip down the rules (that's pretty much done already in the new core).

For an adventure I'd organize it around a starship. They form the core of Traveller and always have. It would be nice to see some extra pages (maybe the same info from the individual supplements) and have the players work towards getting/repairing/outfitting their ship and THEN drop them into an adventure or three using their ship to travel and explore the Traveller universe. It would be easy enough to have merchant/scout/lab ship start off different and then diverge where appropriate for the adventures based upon the type of ship. That would also make it more re-playable for a starter edition as they could roll up different characters the 2nd time around and see if the grass really is better over the septic tank.

For a setting you could expand upon the starter sector you've set up, or just have it take place in the Spinward Marches. You don't really need to provide maps necessarily, but if you don't, at least turn on players to say the TravellerMap website so they can get their own maps printed out for subsectors (and if interested enough they can pick up the Spinward Marches supplement)
Golan2072
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Golan2072 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:45 pm

A few thoughts:

1) Make sure that the adventure gives the player a taste of the basics - skill use, exploration/mystery, ground combat, and starship operations/combat. You'd want them to feel "what is Traveller", hopefully within the first 1-3 sessions.

2) Including both character generation rules/tables and pre-generated characters is IMHO a good idea - with pregens you can start playing the game out of the box. Later when you get a better grasp of the rules, you'll generate your own characters.

3) A general introduction about "What is Traveller and how you play it", especially with an example of play, might be useful for introducing new players to the game.
We are but a tiny candle flickering against the darkness of our times.

Stellagama Publishing - Visit our Blog, Den of the Lizard King
Tenacious-Techhunter
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Tenacious-Techhunter » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:09 am

Map of the hull exterior for the characters to walk around on, making repairs, fending off critters, and other EVA type stuff.
Hopeless
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hopeless » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:22 am

Have you thought about asking those who have bought your new 2.0 rules the chance to design one of the characters that you'll release as a playable character in your starter box set?

Will it be generic or Third Imperium based?

Will you be including a ship deckplan with the starter box set?

Will you be using the original little black book size for the books included in the starter set?

So Introduction to Traveller 2.0 with a solo adventure as one book, an adventure scenario book and a equipment book along with ships so they have examples of a limited number of gear so they can imagine what their characters would be packing or using.

Say two to three ship examples, various armour, weapons and environmental gear not forgetting vac suits of course as well as communications gear, would you include cybernetic examples?

Obviously need a blank character sheet or a web link to download one which would make a useful gauge to see how many people are interested but would you include 2 downloadable extra characters like FFG does?

Beowulf anyone?

Has that ever been done as an adventure where they explore that ship properly I've seen it used as an example but was wondering if that was done as an adventure?
mancerbear
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby mancerbear » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:46 am

I would like to see:

* 4 pre generated characters (say 3 human, one Vargr, or 2 human, one Vargr, one Aslan on a fairly thick stock, nice big character illo, largish text
* Standees for said characters, and lots more besides
* Deck plans of at least one ship to scale with the standees (type A free trader is fairly standard)
* At least 2-4 adventures, one planet based, one ship based, one space based, and one perhaps high port based
* Two rule books, one player, one GM, both with condensed rules and only limited skills/chargen
* lots of really clear chargen and play examples of different situations
* A sourcebook covering a different Subsector than the main core book
* A nice big poster map of said Subsector, or perhaps the whole Sector
* A good solid box that isn't going to fall apart the moment you look sideways at it

I think that covers it. I think the boxed set shoul be introductory, pointing players and GMs towards the core book and other materials for further information.
Last edited by mancerbear on Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
legozhodani
Banded Mongoose

Postby legozhodani » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:07 am

Not wrapped my head around this yet, but I suppose it will have to do the near impossible and have stuff that old hands would like, and be able to be used by the new player picking up for the first time. A ship battle chart would be good. So you don't need to keep diving into the book all the time.
nats
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby nats » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:53 pm

Thing is this is the wrong place to be asking because we all have the rules already and want different things from a starter set than an actually newbie would want.

But I know as a complete D&D newbie a few years ago why I bought the D&D 4th Ed starter set and that it provided exactly what I needed. And it was supplemented by several pdf expansions which were very good in enabling players to take their basic characters to higher levels. You could actually play D&D from that set for more than a couple of months and not need absolutely anything else. The 5th Ed set wasnt half as good.

Traveller is much more wider ranging than D&D though as it covers multiple time periods and many types of scenarios. I think the starter set might be best being a bit more presciptive though so as to not overwhelm starters. It should be encouraging simple fast knowledge of the main rules - personal combat, exploration, travelling and ship combat with additional solid advice on how to role play/run games. Finally the task system would enable a myriad of different situations to be played with a basic grasp of the main rules and procedures. Other than a few nice printed elements/dice etc that would be about it.
6A6AB9, Citizen(Corporate), 8th Term, Rank 3, Cr Enough
Trade(Architecture)3, Art(3d Illustration)2, Computers2, Admin2, Leader1, Drive(Wheeled)1, Advocate1, Art(Painting)1, Flyer0
Comm(TL7), Computer(TL8), Binoculars(TL6), Tent(TL7), Ground Car(TL7)
Tay
Stoat

Postby Tay » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:30 pm

Curious to know how different this may be from the 13Mann Traveller Starter set which failed on Indiegogo a while back. The concept sounded good and looked good, just didn't get the audience it needed, which was a shame.
Sigtrygg
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Sigtrygg » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:23 pm

I think the 'mistake' 13 Mann made was to set too high a monetary goal for their project. Their playtest files are still available I think

http://www.13mann.com/index.php/en/trav ... /downloads
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jame Rowe » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:30 am

mancerbear wrote:I would like to see:

* 4 pre generated characters (say 3 human, one Vargr, or 2 human, one Vargr, one Aslan on a fairly thick stock, nice big character illo, largish text
* Standees for said characters, and lots more besides
* Deck plans of at least one ship to scale with the standees (type A free trader is fairly standard)
* At least 2-4 adventures, one planet based, one ship based, one space based, and one perhaps high port based
* Two rule books, one player, one GM, both with condensed rules and only limited skills/chargen
* lots of really clear chargen and play examples of different situations
* A sourcebook covering a different Subsector than the main core book
* A nice big poster map of said Subsector, or perhaps the whole Sector
* A good solid box that isn't going to fall apart the moment you look sideways at it

I think that covers it. I think the boxed set shoul be introductory, pointing players and GMs towards the core book and other materials for further information.
I'll second this and add a second for the minis request.

I would be happy if the minis are something along the lines of what Paizo did with its Pathfinder standees - good cardstock with holders. Both for people and for ships. Just make sure that they have a specific front and a specific back!
"Are you in charge here?"
"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

Baron Damascaa Kiikiigulii/Sakhag/Antares. Deal with it - come visit!