Pirates of Drinax Kickstarter?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
User avatar
MongooseMatt
Site Admin
Posts: 15111
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Pirates of Drinax Kickstarter?

Postby MongooseMatt » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:31 pm

Hello everybody!

Something that was rolling around in my head over the Christmas break...

At the bottom end of this year, we will be publishing a full cover, completely revised, hardback edition of the epic Pirates of Drinax campaign - truly a book for the ages!

Now, that is going to happen, no matter what. But it did occur to me that it might be fun if we ran a little Kickstarter alongside its release - not for the book itself, but for little knick-knacks and additions to improve the gaming experience in this campaign. I was thinking along the lines of;

Giant poster map of the Trojan Reach with completely new artwork.
Maybe a separate full colour book containing brand new artwork and relevant material drawn from Aslan.
Giant deck plans of the Harrier.
A slip case to put all of this stuff in, alongside the hardback.

It just seemed to me that if any book deserved a celebration, it was this one. We also have access to a local printers who can produce just about anything on a digital basis (they do a lot of work for Games Workshop, among others).

So, does this a) seem like something fun to do that you would like to be a part of and b) what kind of things would you like to see? The more outlandish/fun/useable, the better!

We'll gauge the responses and suggestions over the next couple of months or so, and see if this is a goer!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 4921
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:13 pm

Re: Pirates of Drinax Kickstarter?

Postby phavoc » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:06 pm

I can't speak for lots of others, but here's my thoughts:

Poster - (yawn). I don't display my other sector posters, so this (for me) would be a non-issue, and not terribly practical. Now if you broke those down into separate 8x11 sub-sector color glossies, THAT would be practical. And it would be nice if they were of high-quality printing (font, color and paper) usable for player sessions. Not sure what the cost of laminating them would be (maybe even having a little off-set printing so you could punch holes in them to put them in a binder without taking out a system or three on the edge.

Full color book - GOOD artwork is always appreciated! I would think that this book would provide more NPC's, more backgrounds, more of everything to give additional flavor as well as information for referee's to craft more detailed campaigns. Done properly it would appeal to both players and collectors alike. But if you DO go down this path please, please, please spend the extra time to find the typo's, to commission GOOD artwork, and to ensure the information is accurate.

Deck Plans - When you say 'giant', are we talking poster? 11x17? What? Keep in mind that storing these plans means most people have to fold them over, and oversized things tend to not survive as well as standard 8x11. If you go with standard-sized paper you could, if the players or ref's like, simply lay them down and connect 4 or more sheets to give you deckplans. But like above, PLEASE do these in high quality, not like some of the more horrible ones that are, well, horrible from a graphical perspective.

Slip Case - That would actually be useful.

Do you have a price-point estimate yet?
User avatar
MongooseMatt
Site Admin
Posts: 15111
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Pirates of Drinax Kickstarter?

Postby MongooseMatt » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:09 pm

phavoc wrote:
Do you have a price-point estimate yet?
The book itself looks like it will be $49.99 (over 300 pages, full colour hardback), but that will decided later in the year.

As for everything else... that will be on a case-by-case basis, depending on how flashy it is!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose
Posts: 4921
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:13 pm

Re: Pirates of Drinax Kickstarter?

Postby phavoc » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:14 pm

I was going to ask if this would be available in stores... but it's a Kickstarter, so the default answer is - no! Not unless you plan on publishing a few extra hundred copies and releasing them after the campaign is over, like Miller did with T5.

Uhh, speaking of <that>... are we gonna get an index? :)
User avatar
MongooseMatt
Site Admin
Posts: 15111
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Pirates of Drinax Kickstarter?

Postby MongooseMatt » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:14 pm

The Pirates of Drinax _will_ be available in stores - a full printing run will be done anyway, regardless of whether this Kickstarter happens or not.

However, we just thought Drinax might deserve a little something special, and a Kickstarter might be a good way of doing it!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
CaptnBrazil
Weasel
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Pirates of Drinax Kickstarter?

Postby CaptnBrazil » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:30 pm

For me, even though I've not played/refereed in far too long a time, a Kickstarter with those items would be of interest (I just can't help but get Traveller stuff in the hope that I'll restart playing).

As to the contents: be nice if the map and deck plans came rolled up. I actually have several poster-sized deck plans from other Kickstarters, and have an art tube for storage (I rotate them out of the 1 poster frame at work, which will hopefully double as a battle map so that the poster plastic on top keeps wear and tear down! And only 1 ship at a time - I can only be so geeky here :)).

So I actually like the idea of this. I've only read good things about that campaign, and ancillary 'toys' are always good. Depending on the price I'd probably jump in.
Wizard
Stoat
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:58 pm

Re: Pirates of Drinax Kickstarter?

Postby Wizard » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:55 am

Sounds great, I will back it.

Not sure if it would be possible, but how about printing the giant poster map of the Trojan Reach on cloth material instead of paper. That way you can iron out any creases. Otherwise a laminated version in a rolled up tube would be great.

And some custom dice. You can never have enough dice :D.
Spartan159
Mongoose
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 7:46 pm
Location: Lake Butler Florida USA

Re: Pirates of Drinax Kickstarter?

Postby Spartan159 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:11 am

I can see my wife watching me iron out the Trojan Reach, "Want any starch honey?"
crazy_cat
Mongoose
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 8:06 am
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: Pirates of Drinax Kickstarter?

Postby crazy_cat » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:59 am

I'd like to see a PDF version of teh Trojan Reaches map, but with systems/details shown in black and colour on a white background - so it could be printed out large scale for use, and the GM and PCs could write notes on it and draw in new trade routes etc.

As an added benefit it aslo wouldn't kill printers and ink supplies quite so badly :)
"You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die"
User avatar
IanBruntlett
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:18 pm
Location: Northumberland, England

Re: Pirates of Drinax Kickstarter?

Postby IanBruntlett » Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:29 pm

msprange wrote: Now, that is going to happen, no matter what. But it did occur to me that it might be fun if we ran a little Kickstarter alongside its release - not for the book itself, but for little knick-knacks and additions to improve the gaming experience in this campaign. I was thinking along the lines of;

Giant poster map of the Trojan Reach with completely new artwork.
Looking back at my AD&D 2e days, the most successful maps where those that started off big but ended up cut into A4 sized pages which went into one of two campaign ring binders. A big map is basically a white elephant to me.
msprange wrote: Giant deck plans of the Harrier.
I am ambivalent about that.
msprange wrote: Maybe a separate full colour book containing brand new artwork and relevant material drawn from Aslan.
A slip case to put all of this stuff in, alongside the hardback.
Not sure about this. I've already got Aslan so it might not be too useful to me.

OTOH, my copy of the Spinward Marches is battered and well-worn. If you had a book that fleshed out the sub-sectors in there, I would be very interested.
-- My writings : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://accu.org
-- Free Software Page : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntl ... e-software
JRoss
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:29 am

Re: Pirates of Drinax Kickstarter?

Postby JRoss » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:41 am

I'd like to see a Referee Screen with a lace to take notes of reputation and all those other bits.
Freelance S&P Traveller contributor
Squirrel - Your Best Friend
Fox - Beware of Lies

Do you really want to spend your entire lives praying for longevity? We were born in order to die!
Thunderegg Productions
Solomani Jim
Shrew
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:21 pm

Re: Pirates of Drinax Kickstarter?

Postby Solomani Jim » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:50 pm

How about a set of limited edition specialty Traveller dice made a Pirates of Drinax theme?
DickNervous
Stoat
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:49 pm
Location: Seaford, NY, Solomani Rim
Contact:

Re: Pirates of Drinax Kickstarter?

Postby DickNervous » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:36 am

Since I am currently running the PoD campaign here are the types of extras that I find myself looking for and would gladly back a Kickstarter to get....

Maps: Planetary, Starport, or City maps for key places in the campaign. Places such as the Floating Palace of Drinax and Theev would be great places to have maps for, even some generic starport maps would be nice. A map of Tamby Dour's pirate base would be cool too! Planetary maps for the more important systems wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Artwork: Nice artowrk of the main NPCs, locations, ect. would be awesome. Though to be honest this should be in the hard cover book.
System Index: A spiral bound notebook with a page for each of the "key worlds". On each page would be a data sheet of the world, maps, key information, and a section for the GM to take notes.
Ship Miniatures: Would be pretty awesome to have a mini of the Harrier and some of the other ships that detailed in the campaign.
Virtual Table Top Support: An official module for use on a virtual table top platform would be amazing! But then again, that might just be crazy talk.

Oh, and did I mention maps? ;)
----------------------------
Rich 'DickNervous' Neves
Baron of Ishala - VLAN 2113 Ishala C866651-9
Baron of Enaaka - DENE 0203 Enaaka B777786-6
Knight of Deneb - SPIN 1721 ARBA C200200-C
Nervoused.com
denis
Weasel
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:05 pm

Re: Pirates of Drinax Kickstarter?

Postby denis » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:46 pm

DickNervous wrote:Since I am currently running the PoD campaign here are the types of extras that I find myself looking for and would gladly back a Kickstarter to get....

Maps: Planetary, Starport, or City maps for key places in the campaign. Places such as the Floating Palace of Drinax and Theev would be great places to have maps for, even some generic starport maps would be nice. A map of Tamby Dour's pirate base would be cool too! Planetary maps for the more important systems wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Artwork: Nice artowrk of the main NPCs, locations, ect. would be awesome. Though to be honest this should be in the hard cover book.
System Index: A spiral bound notebook with a page for each of the "key worlds". On each page would be a data sheet of the world, maps, key information, and a section for the GM to take notes.
Ship Miniatures: Would be pretty awesome to have a mini of the Harrier and some of the other ships that detailed in the campaign.
Virtual Table Top Support: An official module for use on a virtual table top platform would be amazing! But then again, that might just be crazy talk.

Oh, and did I mention maps? ;)

All excellent ideas! I'd jump in for those as well. :)
Morningkiller
Weasel
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:54 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Pirates of Drinax Kickstarter?

Postby Morningkiller » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:37 pm

denis wrote:
DickNervous wrote:Since I am currently running the PoD campaign here are the types of extras that I find myself looking for and would gladly back a Kickstarter to get....

Maps: Planetary, Starport, or City maps for key places in the campaign. Places such as the Floating Palace of Drinax and Theev would be great places to have maps for, even some generic starport maps would be nice. A map of Tamby Dour's pirate base would be cool too! Planetary maps for the more important systems wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Artwork: Nice artowrk of the main NPCs, locations, ect. would be awesome. Though to be honest this should be in the hard cover book.
System Index: A spiral bound notebook with a page for each of the "key worlds". On each page would be a data sheet of the world, maps, key information, and a section for the GM to take notes.
Ship Miniatures: Would be pretty awesome to have a mini of the Harrier and some of the other ships that detailed in the campaign.
Virtual Table Top Support: An official module for use on a virtual table top platform would be amazing! But then again, that might just be crazy talk.

Oh, and did I mention maps? ;)

All excellent ideas! I'd jump in for those as well. :)
Interesting stuff alright. I think if there was an expansion of the side missions in the new book (or a separate pdf/book dedicated to side missions) that would be useful. A page per system with 4 or 5 (possibly linked) scenario outlines aimed at bringing each world to Drinax by diplomacy/murder/coup/threats/trade/shenanigans. The random side-missions on the oddball planets of the Reach were often the highlights of the campaign in my experience. More please!
Putraack
Stoat
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:23 am

Re: Pirates of Drinax Kickstarter?

Postby Putraack » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:34 am

Morningkiller wrote:
denis wrote:
DickNervous wrote:Since I am currently running the PoD campaign here are the types of extras that I find myself looking for and would gladly back a Kickstarter to get....

Maps: Planetary, Starport, or City maps for key places in the campaign. Places such as the Floating Palace of Drinax and Theev would be great places to have maps for, even some generic starport maps would be nice. A map of Tamby Dour's pirate base would be cool too! Planetary maps for the more important systems wouldn't be a bad idea either.
Artwork: Nice artowrk of the main NPCs, locations, ect. would be awesome. Though to be honest this should be in the hard cover book.
System Index: A spiral bound notebook with a page for each of the "key worlds". On each page would be a data sheet of the world, maps, key information, and a section for the GM to take notes.
Ship Miniatures: Would be pretty awesome to have a mini of the Harrier and some of the other ships that detailed in the campaign.
Virtual Table Top Support: An official module for use on a virtual table top platform would be amazing! But then again, that might just be crazy talk.

Oh, and did I mention maps? ;)

All excellent ideas! I'd jump in for those as well. :)
Interesting stuff alright. I think if there was an expansion of the side missions in the new book (or a separate pdf/book dedicated to side missions) that would be useful. A page per system with 4 or 5 (possibly linked) scenario outlines aimed at bringing each world to Drinax by diplomacy/murder/coup/threats/trade/shenanigans. The random side-missions on the oddball planets of the Reach were often the highlights of the campaign in my experience. More please!
Yes, side missions, system index, and location maps!
In addition to the Floating Palace maps, more things to do there-- I was always wishing I had something to run there, but my imagination is weak at plotting.
JRoss
Banded Mongoose
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:29 am

Re: Pirates of Drinax Kickstarter?

Postby JRoss » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:26 am

Compatible with Second Edition, please!
Freelance S&P Traveller contributor
Squirrel - Your Best Friend
Fox - Beware of Lies

Do you really want to spend your entire lives praying for longevity? We were born in order to die!
Thunderegg Productions
User avatar
MongooseMatt
Site Admin
Posts: 15111
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Pirates of Drinax Kickstarter?

Postby MongooseMatt » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:09 pm

Okay, after a great deal of thought, it looks like we are going to scrap this idea - no Kickstarter for Drinax.

What we will do instead is a two volume hardback set, in slip case, likely with big poster map of the entire sector. A real deluxe edition of what is possibly the greatest Traveller campaign yet!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
User avatar
IanBruntlett
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Posts: 1027
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:18 pm
Location: Northumberland, England

Re: Pirates of Drinax Kickstarter?

Postby IanBruntlett » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:50 pm

msprange wrote:Okay, after a great deal of thought, it looks like we are going to scrap this idea - no Kickstarter for Drinax.

What we will do instead is a two volume hardback set, in slip case, likely with big poster map of the entire sector. A real deluxe edition of what is possibly the greatest Traveller campaign yet!
Roughly how much do you expect this will cost?
-- My writings : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntlett
-- ACCU - Professionalism in programming - http://accu.org
-- Free Software Page : https://sites.google.com/site/ianbruntl ... e-software
User avatar
MongooseMatt
Site Admin
Posts: 15111
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Pirates of Drinax Kickstarter?

Postby MongooseMatt » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:41 pm

That is what we are looking at now - however, it will be less than the cost of two hardbacks separately.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: shammond42 and 25 guests