Question about commission and increasing skills

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
yukikaze
Cub

Question about commission and increasing skills

Postby yukikaze » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:40 am

I have some questions.

1, Do "trying for commission is optional." and "The advancement roll is mandatory." mean that I can try commission and advancement roll together in one term?

2, When I succeed commission roll, does my traveller increase skills like succeeding advancement roll?

3, When my traveller automatically promoted, does he/she increase skills, or only be promoted?

About 1, previous version say "Military characters (Army, Navy, Marines) can roll for commission instead of rolling for advancement." in gray box P5. But this version say nothing about.
2 and 3, there are no obvious descriptions in previous version neither...
I want to write about them in new version.
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Question about commission and increasing skills

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:43 pm

Re: #3 - Since the rules say you get to roll on the skill tables for a promotion, I don't think it matters if you roll it or get it through an event. ALSO, if you succeed in your promotion roll AND get promoted in an event, you get TWO promotions and TWO skill rolls.

(My interpretation based on RAW).
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.
-Daniel-
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby -Daniel- » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:56 pm

Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:Re: #3 - Since the rules say you get to roll on the skill tables for a promotion, I don't think it matters if you roll it or get it through an event. ALSO, if you succeed in your promotion roll AND get promoted in an event, you get TWO promotions and TWO skill rolls.

Interesting, I never rolled for an additional skill if the character received a promotion from an event. I am now curious, I wonder what the author of the rules intended.
Old Scrounger
Cub

Postby Old Scrounger » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:14 pm

I can't even find what number is needed to be commissioned but only the table for promotion. How do we know what number is needed to gain commission?
hdan
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby hdan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:17 pm

Old Scrounger wrote:I can't even find what number is needed to be commissioned but only the table for promotion. How do we know what number is needed to gain commission?
This is an already reported problem which presumably will be corrected in the next drop.

Though until it gets fixed, it's likely to be "SOC 8+", since it was that in v1. (I always questioned that, since commission rolls from previous editions were not so uniform.)
/hdan
Old Scrounger
Cub

Postby Old Scrounger » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:53 pm

Thanks for letting me know!
Belisknar
Mongoose

Postby Belisknar » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:49 am

yukikaze wrote:I have some questions.

1, Do "trying for commission is optional." and "The advancement roll is mandatory." mean that I can try commission and advancement roll together in one term?
The commission is an advancement roll and so replaces your standard advancement roll. At least that is what I get if you follow the flow chart in character generation.

The option being do you decide to take it at all.
CaptainOrs
Stoat

Postby CaptainOrs » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:03 pm

Rikki Tikki Traveller wrote:Re: #3 - Since the rules say you get to roll on the skill tables for a promotion, I don't think it matters if you roll it or get it through an event. ALSO, if you succeed in your promotion roll AND get promoted in an event, you get TWO promotions and TWO skill rolls.

So if you get promoted in an event (say event roll of 12 in the navy career), you would still roll for a second advancement at the end of the term? I was assuming you could only advance once, it was just automatic instead of needing to roll for it.
-Daniel-
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby -Daniel- » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:35 pm

CaptainOrs wrote:

So if you get promoted in an event (say event roll of 12 in the navy career), you would still roll for a second advancement at the end of the term? I was assuming you could only advance once, it was just automatic instead of needing to roll for it.
We have always played it like Rikki Tikki Traveller said it except we only did the end of term skill roll if you succeeded in the roll. So one Skill but possible two ranks. Even is an automatic and the end of the term roll is another chance. So you could have a Character come out of term one as a Rank 2 if the dice went in your favor.

I wonder if we have been doing it wrong. I wonder what the designer's intent was for that type event.
grauenwolf
Mongoose

Postby grauenwolf » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:33 am

-Daniel- wrote: We have always played it like Rikki Tikki Traveller said it except we only did the end of term skill roll if you succeeded in the roll. So one Skill but possible two ranks. Even is an automatic and the end of the term roll is another chance. So you could have a Character come out of term one as a Rank 2 if the dice went in your favor.

I wonder if we have been doing it wrong. I wonder what the designer's intent was for that type event.
We've been doing it one skill roll per promotion, no matter how you got the promotion. And we allow to promotions in the same term, as that just means that you've really, really impressed your boss.