Never Mind Eagles ...

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
Tom Kalbfus
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Never Mind Eagles ...

Postby Tom Kalbfus » Sun Sep 20, 2015 3:15 pm

Reynard wrote:When I saw both shows, having bases on the moon still seemed possible. Bloom fell off the rose as the US government started announcing space was too expensive so we were forced to just dream. Can you imagine if we kept the enthusiasm of the moon landings going in the Seventies?
Why didn't we? The torch was being passed from one generation of politicians to another, the first generation was typified by FDR and JFK, these politicians believed in building stuff, LBJ was a transitional figure, he supported to Moon program, but also supported the expansion of welfare, and guess that the politicians after than discovered? It is easier to buy votes with direct transfers of money to potential voters that to actually build stuff. You see after launching Apollo, there was less money to go back into greedy politicians greasy hands because Moon hardware was so expensive, food stamps was much more lucrative for politicians than sending people to the Moon. You could also hire bunch of unskilled bureocrats that shuffle paper around alot more easily than you could hire skilled NASA technicians. You see if the NASA technicians fail, you have spectacular explosions than make the politicians that funded them look bad, but if they shuffle paper ad don't do it correctly, who's going to know?

Moonbase Alpha was the next logical step after the Apollo program, actually building a Moonbase would have been a lot more risky than just hiring 100,000 bureaucrats to mindless shuffle paper, maybe it doesn't make for interesting science, but the politicians don't care about they, they want to create government jobs with little risk and low skill requirements so those jobs can be created more easily, basically a way to waste taxpayers money to get politicians reelected. Creating an ambitious space program adds an unnecessary level of risk, and I might add, Space 1999 was a British television show. So let me ask a question, Could Great Britain have built a Moonbase if it really wanted to? I believe Europe (not including Russia and the East Block) could have sent men and women to the Moon if they really wanted to, but their politicians deemed it risky, and its much easier to spend the same amount of welfare and buy votes that to build a Moonbase where an accident might happen and people might die!

It is a bit disappointing that its the year 2015, and we have no space colonies, no Moon bases, we are only talking about such as part of a Role Playing Game as opposed to really doing it!
Jame Rowe
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Jame Rowe » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:11 am

Infojunky wrote:
wbnc wrote:Who said a 50 ton armed cutter couldn't look good...
30 ton at most.....
Yes and it looks good. It just needs to have contragrav (and THAT could already be built in!).
"Are you in charge here?"
"No, but I'm full of ideas!"

Baron Damascaa Kiikiigulii/Sakhag/Antares. Deal with it - come visit!
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:22 pm

The way they designed the Eagles/Hawks the chemical fuel landing rockets can easily become Traveller contra-grav lifters and the nuclear fusion engines are standard maneuver drives. Lasers and missile armament already translate. Hydrogen is the fuel of choice and there is artificial gravity.

The utility pods are 8.15 x 4.55 x 2.68 or 99.38 cubic meters or 7.4 dtons. The forward service and command module is only slightly smaller than the pods so approximately another 7 dtons. Being generous to the engineering and main engines add about another 7 dtons and the four fuel tank/landing gear/maneuver rocket units might be slightly larger than the pod so we'll think 9dtons more. Someday I will get out might rules and compass for more exacting measurements. That puts the Eagle at about 30 dtons. These technical drawings also make great Traveller deck plans.
Infojunky
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Infojunky » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:08 am

Evyn
Lord High Munchkin
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Vancouver, where the rainbow ends/Oxford, occasionally, in an ivory tower

Postby Lord High Munchkin » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:07 am

I love the way the toilet is next to the drinks dispenser....
The desire for a "definitive, ultimate answer" is, in fact, classified by modern psychiatric medicine as a mental illness.
Hopeless
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Hopeless » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:31 am

Lord High Munchkin wrote:I love the way the toilet is next to the drinks dispenser....
Right next to a nuclear reactor... are they trying to tell us something? :shock:
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:00 am

Kills bacteria in the water supply and makes the water effervescent....
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:39 pm

Not spreading your germs to aliens is interstellar etiquette.
crazy_cat
Mongoose

Postby crazy_cat » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:39 pm

In any update/current version maybe we could amend or rename the 'stewardess station' to something more gender neutral or just functional. But hey, 1999 was the 20th century after all :)
"You should never be in the company of anyone with whom you would not want to die"
Mithras
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mithras » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:49 pm

What amazing photographs, oh happy memories of watching Space 1999 when I was a boy!
Paul Elliott
HOSTILE: A Gritty SF setting inspired by Alien, Outland and Bladerunner - for Cepheus Engine https://www.paulelliottbooks.com/hostile.html
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:45 pm

We refer to the skill as 'steward' and consider it gender free so why not the steward station?