Doesn't Marine Career Event 9 gain you an Enemy?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
G. K. Zhukov
Mongoose

Doesn't Marine Career Event 9 gain you an Enemy?

Postby G. K. Zhukov » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:03 pm

For my second term in the Star Marines I rolled a 9 on the post-survival Events Table. The entry reads:

A mission goes disastrously wrong due to your commander’s error or incompetence, but you survive. If you report your commanding officer for his failure then you gain DM+2 to your next Advancement roll. If you say nothing and protect him, gain him as an Ally.

So if I do report the inept commanding officer in order to get the +2 DM for Advancement, shouldn't I that turn Him/her into an Enemy or Rival?
ShawnDriscoll
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Doesn't Marine Career Event 9 gain you an Enemy?

Postby ShawnDriscoll » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:20 pm

G. K. Zhukov wrote:For my second term in the Star Marines I rolled a 9 on the post-survival Events Table. The entry reads:

A mission goes disastrously wrong due to your commander’s error or incompetence, but you survive. If you report your commanding officer for his failure then you gain DM+2 to your next Advancement roll. If you say nothing and protect him, gain him as an Ally.

So if I do report the inept commanding officer in order to get the +2 DM for Advancement, shouldn't I that turn Him/her into an Enemy or Rival?
Not if he's removed from the base and can't get back on.
Belisknar
Mongoose

Re: Doesn't Marine Career Event 9 gain you an Enemy?

Postby Belisknar » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:15 pm

No, this is a matter of, protect your superior and gain a friend or further your career by showing that it was someone else's fault.

I can see where you are coming from though, where it could build to an enemy.