What's to become of Mercenary 2nd Ed?

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
haveahappy
Stoat

What's to become of Mercenary 2nd Ed?

Postby haveahappy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:30 am

Now that there is a second edition of the core rules coming, what's to become of Mercenary 2nd ed?

Was it produced with the new core book in mind? Will it need a touch-up?
Will the core supplements be "prettyfied" like the new core book is?
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Re: What's to become of Mercenary 2nd Ed?

Postby MongooseMatt » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:19 pm

Certainly some of the ideas in Merc II made their way into the new core rules.

At some point I would like to revisit Mercenary and really expand the idea of a dedicated mercenary-based campaign. However, I must be at pains to point out, there are no set plans to do so. Mercenary is not in the core line up, nor is there room for it in 2016. Might not even happen in 2017.

But it is on my 'wish' list.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
-Daniel-
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby -Daniel- » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:27 pm

msprange wrote:Certainly some of the ideas in Merc II made their way into the new core rules.

At some point I would like to revisit Mercenary and really expand the idea of a dedicated mercenary-based campaign. However, I must be at pains to point out, there are no set plans to do so. Mercenary is not in the core line up, nor is there room for it in 2016. Might not even happen in 2017.

Thanks for the insight. I imagine your "wish list" would be quite interesting. I could see how it would grow faster than you could publish. 8)
haveahappy
Stoat

Postby haveahappy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:08 am

msprange wrote:Certainly some of the ideas in Merc II made their way into the new core rules.

Thanks, that clears up my understanding quite a bit.
Kaelic
Mongoose

Postby Kaelic » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:21 am

If this is the case, I'd really like to see the additional combat rules from Mercenary put into the core. Blind Fire, Panic Fire etc. These add a lot of good options, are simple and well written, and deserve to be in the new line-up early rather than dependent on Mercenary.

Everything from the top of here:
http://www.travellersrd.com/content/off ... rules.html