Passengers and Ticket types

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
phavoc
Cosmic Mongoose

Passengers and Ticket types

Postby phavoc » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:08 pm

Pg149 – Passengers: An accompanying table here listing passage prices should be listed for referencability.

This is a personal view, but only liners with dedicated sub-facilities and food should be able to sell high passage tickets. Nobody should expect to sell high passage on a free trader or subsidized merchant. The subsidized liner should be the smallest ship where this is possible. And high passenger cabins need to be different than others to reflect the higher prices. That’s what people are paying for (that, and food and entertainment).

Middle passage – The 100 passengers per level of Steward skill is unreasonably high. I could see doubling or tripling of it, but not 10x.

Basic passage – The issue here is that it costs at least Cr1000 per person in a room. And the normal rules state (used to at least) life support was the issue with putting more than 2 people per cabin. So if it’s physically possible to store 4 people per stateroom, that should be part of the design (also fits in with temporary passage for say troops and colonists. Temporary uncomfortable quarters to get to your destination). And what does the 2Dtons per passenger NOT in a stateroom even mean? If they are taking up space in the hold why does the space requirement double? This rule needs to fit into some sort of core rule about life support capabilities for a vessel, and at what point can you strain them beyond functioning.

Low passage – This has always been a dichotomy of passage requirements versus the implicit risk. Ships carry a number of low passage berths. If it’s that dangerous (like say more than 10% chance of dying) it would not be acceptable to society that people are constantly dying. Also the frozen watch and troops would refuse to be put into a cryoberth if it was that dangerous. Either it’s only slightly risky, and thus it would be used, or its very risky and should be noted that nobody willingly travels as a corpsicle. There used to be an older rule that the level of Medic skillof the reviver was able to provide a bump to revival. Is that no longer true?
AKAramis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Passengers and Ticket types

Postby AKAramis » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:44 pm

phavoc wrote:Pg149 – Passengers: An accompanying table here listing passage prices should be listed for referencability.

This is a personal view, but only liners with dedicated sub-facilities and food should be able to sell high passage tickets. Nobody should expect to sell high passage on a free trader or subsidized merchant. The subsidized liner should be the smallest ship where this is possible. And high passenger cabins need to be different than others to reflect the higher prices. That’s what people are paying for (that, and food and entertainment).

Middle passage – The 100 passengers per level of Steward skill is unreasonably high. I could see doubling or tripling of it, but not 10x.
Actually, it's a return to the CT rates. Well, close to them.
CT was 1 per 8 high, and 1 per 120 mids. (CT Bk 5)

You're misequating high passage with luxury passages. Which I thing should be added... Luxury should be 1 steward per passenger... (and the share of the medic)
Which would be... 2.01/480th of the stateroom cost in payment, plus 2.01/1000 of the cost in maintenance, plus 2 persons LS, plus the steward's salary, plus the cost of 9 tons cargo (1 cargo, plus the loss of cargo space converted to the 2.01 staterooms). Why 2.01? have to include the medic's share.

should be Cr5610+ 9 tons worth of cargo...
phavoc wrote:Basic passage – The issue here is that it costs at least Cr1000 per person in a room. And the normal rules state (used to at least) life support was the issue with putting more than 2 people per cabin. So if it’s physically possible to store 4 people per stateroom, that should be part of the design (also fits in with temporary passage for say troops and colonists. Temporary uncomfortable quarters to get to your destination). And what does the 2Dtons per passenger NOT in a stateroom even mean? If they are taking up space in the hold why does the space requirement double? This rule needs to fit into some sort of core rule about life support capabilities for a vessel, and at what point can you strain them beyond functioning.
The LS limit was put in to prevent abuses. Like 100 people in cargo on a Type A.
phavoc wrote:Low passage – This has always been a dichotomy of passage requirements versus the implicit risk. Ships carry a number of low passage berths. If it’s that dangerous (like say more than 10% chance of dying) it would not be acceptable to society that people are constantly dying. Also the frozen watch and troops would refuse to be put into a cryoberth if it was that dangerous. Either it’s only slightly risky, and thus it would be used, or its very risky and should be noted that nobody willingly travels as a corpsicle. There used to be an older rule that the level of Medic skillof the reviver was able to provide a bump to revival. Is that no longer true?
-AKAramis
==================================================
Never catch a tiger by the tail...
... unless it is sedated or dead.
==================================================
http://aramis.hostman.us
Rikki Tikki Traveller
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Passengers and Ticket types

Postby Rikki Tikki Traveller » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:08 pm

I also don't like the 4-people per stateroom. I think 2 per stateroom makes a lot more sense (the infamcus double-stateroom of CT HG).

Also, in the description of Life Support costs (pg 145), you should explicitly state that the stateroom cost (Cr1,000) should only have to be paid for OCCUPIED staterooms, like you do for Low Berths in the same section.
My friends call me Richard.
You can call me Sir.