Planetary Allegiance Section

Discuss the Traveller RPG and its many settings
thesmiths4
Weasel

Planetary Allegiance Section

Postby thesmiths4 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:06 am

The World Creation section should have a topic about Planetary Allegiance (probably on page 222 after the "Bases" section, or, on page 235 prior to the "Bases" section there). It should list the various 2-letter codes that describe the government that controls the planet. The topic should also make it clear that during generation, the determination of allegiance is left to the referee, based on his or her determination, taking into consideration the bases present, the astrographic situation, and the potential for adventuring. It should generally not be determined randomly.

I'd limit the number of codes to just a few, but also have a sentence or two to describe the situation the code implies.

example codes:
  • Im--Imperial member world, with various Imperial facilities and organizations, military bases, and associated nobility. Subject to Imperial Laws.
    Cs--Imperial Client State world, independent from, but allied to, the Imperium. Could contain Imperial facilities and organizations and military bases, and may have its own military bases.
    Na--Non-aligned world, which may be friendly, neutral, or hostile to the Imperium, and having other relationships with different interstellar governments. May contain a small Imperial presence, if friendly, like a Scout Base, but otherwise, all facilities are owned by the planetary government. May host a base of another friendly interstellar government.
    As for Aslan, Va for Vargr, etc., etc.
Instead of trying to show every single minor allegiance, the book could list: (Xx)--A general code for a smaller interstellar government, the code (and relevant details) being defined in specific sector or subsector information, e.g. Sf--Senlis Foederate.

Additionally, Cs and Na worlds should have the die rolls and DMs to determine if they have major local government bases present in this section, I would think.
AKAramis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Planetary Allegiance Section

Postby AKAramis » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:13 pm

the codes need to match those in t5, because that's what Marc sets as official.

Travellermap uses T5 codes, too. (Direct from Marc's spreadsheets, no less.)
-AKAramis
==================================================
Never catch a tiger by the tail...
... unless it is sedated or dead.
==================================================
http://aramis.hostman.us
thesmiths4
Weasel

Postby thesmiths4 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:44 am

AKAramis wrote:the codes need to match those in t5, because that's what Marc sets as official.

Travellermap uses T5 codes, too. (Direct from Marc's spreadsheets, no less.)
Excellent point.

In any case, they need to be added to the world creation section, with some definition of what they represent.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:52 pm

I'm of course interested in discovering Solomani and Vargr bases and depots, rather than make it up on my own.
thesmiths4
Weasel

Postby thesmiths4 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:44 am

I've been away from this effort for a bit.

Based on the latest version I found of the core rules, it looks like allegiances didn't get added. Or, am I missing something?